Where to tailor clothes, continued...

Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Any tailor recommendations for Da nang or Hoi An?
Are you looking for European fabrics or cheap asian fabrics like wool blend?
Do you have time and budget for a high quality suit or you just want a cheap suit that fits well?

If you place quality first, there is only one tailor in Danang and only one tailor in Hoi An , the rest all cmi.
If you place budget first, there is one with low price and reasonable value quality.
If you place time first, go Hoi An, they hold the world record for shortest time needed to make a suit
If you are newbie , suggest you place quality first because a higher priced suit can still be value for money in these places whereas a lower price suit can chop you carrot and still make money out of you, even though it's low in price.
 

SibehEng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Messages
15,417
Reaction score
914
any expert have recommendation for tailor for normal working shirt and pants.

For shirt budget probably below 200.

Previously only tailor whenever go to bkk with Jesse and Son but now seldom travel so want to look for something locally.
 

ralfale

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,451
Reaction score
8
Curious what kind of fabric do you guys prefer for office shirts n pants? Any specific reasons for it
 

gatelesis

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
71
Reaction score
25
Any recommendations for Shanghai tailors/menswear stores?
Would like to know as well. Only know of South Bund Fabric Market
Fabric Market (南外滩轻纺面料市场). Jojo and Susan seems to be mentioned frequently at TripAdvisor. Not sure of their quality though.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Would like to know as well. Only know of South Bund Fabric Market
Fabric Market (南外滩轻纺面料市场). Jojo and Susan seems to be mentioned frequently at TripAdvisor. Not sure of their quality though.
If on a budget or newbie, this is the best place to go, especially if you want to DIY something

Look for 261 Cheryl or 267 Fiona.

Don't expect excellent fabrics, but they can do Zegna suit or VBC suit easily.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Curious what kind of fabric do you guys prefer for office shirts n pants? Any specific reasons for it
Office shirt: full cotton 100/2 to 140/2 twill or herringbone - white/light blue/chambray, good luster, smooth, don't crease easily. I sell them.

Pants: Benjamin barker wool blend pants or linen pants or my raw selvedge jeans. Daily beater easy to care
 

digisales

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
1,365
Reaction score
26
If on a budget or newbie, this is the best place to go, especially if you want to DIY something

Look for 261 Cheryl or 267 Fiona.

Don't expect excellent fabrics, but they can do Zegna suit or VBC suit easily.
Do they just do work shirts?
What is the estimated cost for 1 shirt?
How long do they need to make 1 shirt?
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Any recommendations for Shanghai tailors/menswear stores?
Are you looking for workmanship better than Singapore or you are looking at price lower than Singapore?

For former, just ask if the boutique shop has been in business for at least 5 years, if so, confirm workmanship better than Singapore. Some reputable shops to consider:

Glenindiv (highest price tailor in Shanghai but even Dormeuil young boss makes a 3 piece suit there, if you want a 3 piece suit to conceal flaws and make you very manly with no budget constraints, this is top option. Here you are paying for 审美观 and service. Definitely bespoke. Boss cum designer only in early to mid thirties, but uncle in shop doing measurements and fitting, appointment basis only, inside the shop, 4 persons serve you one customer, so you know you get king service. Average 3 pc suit price range RMB32000-40000)
Allen xie
Dingtai (own workshop)
Rainier (UK trained)
Ww chan ( original red gang )
Si Fang (red gang)
Ushan (fabrics guru without peer)

They are guru or have professional expertise in different areas. 一分钱,一分货
 
Last edited:

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
115,262
Reaction score
71
What did you tailor and how was it? Price? Want to do a review? I visited the website just now and saw '100% hand stitched'...I wonder how much that will cost as there isn't a need to do that without using a sewing machine at all.
Yeah, went 4 times to get it sorted. the Experience was good. You can go for a non obligatory visit
 

gatelesis

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
71
Reaction score
25
Do they just do work shirts?
What is the estimated cost for 1 shirt?
How long do they need to make 1 shirt?


Went to the fabric market on Sunday. Had ordered 1 suit, 1 jacket, 3 long sleeve shirts, 2 short sleeve shirts.

For the shirts, 100*2 GSM 100% cotton Not sure if it is true. It's China after all. Tried on a piece and it felt good on the skin, I guess that is all that matters to me. 350RMB each.

Will be collecting on Tuesday. On the time needed to make 1 shirt, should be within 24 hours. As I have several orders, including suit and jacket, may take longer time.

In case you are wondering why I chose this shop, it's based on feelings and vibes. I went in with low expectations, at a budget I felt comfortable with, and took a chance. I can say that this shop did not practice hard sell. In fact, for the 2 short sleeve shirts I ordered, they advise me to not spend so much on workmanship for casual wear, so saved 100RMB each on workmanship VS the long sleeve shirts.

Hope this helps.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
You went on Sunday and collecting everything, including suit on Tuesday?

Then likely fused suit plus no business, so workers very idle.
 

jtlyr05

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
0


Went to the fabric market on Sunday. Had ordered 1 suit, 1 jacket, 3 long sleeve shirts, 2 short sleeve shirts.

For the shirts, 100*2 GSM 100% cotton Not sure if it is true. It's China after all. Tried on a piece and it felt good on the skin, I guess that is all that matters to me. 350RMB each.

Will be collecting on Tuesday. On the time needed to make 1 shirt, should be within 24 hours. As I have several orders, including suit and jacket, may take longer time.

In case you are wondering why I chose this shop, it's based on feelings and vibes. I went in with low expectations, at a budget I felt comfortable with, and took a chance. I can say that this shop did not practice hard sell. In fact, for the 2 short sleeve shirts I ordered, they advise me to not spend so much on workmanship for casual wear, so saved 100RMB each on workmanship VS the long sleeve shirts.

Hope this helps.

I actually chanced upon them as well on the third floor after not being satisfied with other tailors on the first two floors (in terms of pricing). The price they quoted me for shorts were 80sgd cheaper than the first store I inquired. Only realised it was the same tailor you visited after looking at the order sheet.

Got one linen shirt with a one piece collar hidden button down and linen shorts done, total price 110sgd. They turned out much better than expected, except for the fact they forgot to add the button for the hidden button down. I’m fine with that because the shirt was only 37sgd. I’m going to commission more items and have them shipped back to sg.

Could you do a review on your jacket? I’m not sure if I should order one from them too. 🙏
 
Last edited:

gatelesis

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
71
Reaction score
25
I actually chanced upon them as well on the third floor after not being satisfied with other tailors on the first two floors (in terms of pricing). The price they quoted me for shorts were 80sgd cheaper than the first store I inquired. Only realised it was the same tailor you visited after looking at the order sheet.

Got one linen shirt with a one piece collar hidden button down and linen shorts done, total price 110sgd. They turned out much better than expected, except for the fact they forgot to add the button for the hidden button down. I’m fine with that because the shirt was only 37sgd. I’m going to commission more items and have them shipped back to sg.

Could you do a review on your jacket? I’m not sure if I should order one from them too. 🙏
I did 1 suit and 1 jacket. The jacket completion date was delayed be 1day. They explained that due to the material (was linen 80% with some synthetic stretch Fibre. No idea what they are talking about but anyway) required more workmanship. When I collected, tried it on and it felt good. Very light. Saw that the seems was double stitched. Maybe that means something? I also don't know.

The suit, was fine. I am not an experts like some folks are on this thread. I think it should keep it's shape and last for at least 2 years. I may gain and lose weight through these 2 years. The material I chose feels good on my skin. I am happy with the workmanship.

One comment I have is that Candy is not very creative. I made some shirts, chose the material and told Candy to 自由发挥 and surprise me with some designs. I collected plain shirts. Had a conversation with Jack during collection. He showed me other shirts that was waiting for collection and I did see some designs on it, like contrasting thread colours in the button holes etc. Jack said the next time I make an order, he will take note of it.

Overall, for the price, I have no initial complains. Let's see if it lasts.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
As I had mentioned, the place is good for budget conscious or newbies as expectations are low. Due to many tailor stalls spread acoss 3 floors, the price is always competitive and reasonable. However, few carry real authentic European fabrics, especially those high end ones, and as many are family owned and run, lack the workmanship of factories and dedicated tailoring workshops serving boutique shops. Hence majority of suits are fused, just like in Hoi An.
 

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
115,262
Reaction score
71
Do those tailor has shirt that it's like super non iron type. Just need 2-3 for work. Too much hassle to iron weekly.

In Bangkok that is. Any to intro? Thanks
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top