Wireless bluetooth EAR BUDS recommendations

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
After selling my e8 and stuck with a xm3 headphone, decided to try another kickstarter model earin m-2.

Small form factor but really fits well in my ear.

Surprised at the app gain function to increase volume further.

Bass wise..well it didnt disappoint.

No drop off at mrts or lag for gaming/youtube :D

20181016_175021_zpsivc8zn8i.jpg


Yes. I using this since launched. Local set with warranty. Very happy with it. Small size and I changed to comply foam tip and it work excellently.
 

audioenslave

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
8,350
Reaction score
30
Yes. I using this since launched. Local set with warranty. Very happy with it. Small size and I changed to comply foam tip and it work excellently.

Yes it is really good in terms of music n videos/gaming.

Calls wise i cant comment though but online mentions it leaves much to be desired.
 

dawo5010

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2011
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
AAC Support on the X-Mini Liberty

Hey all,

Just received my pair of X-Mini Liberty Xoundpods today and would like to report on some interesting findings:

1. The X-Mini Liberty does support AAC...
https://i.imgur.com/c8ovKZB.png

BUT only on the iPhone. I tested this on the XS Max and received the above Bluetooth messages when debugging my iPhone using the Console App on my Mac.

I tried connecting it to my Mac and forcing AAC - failed. I tried connecting it to my Android device (LeEco Le Pro 3 with custom Android 8.1 ROM) and forced AAC - failed. For those devices, it streams on SBC.

2. AAC audio sounds WAY better than its SBC counterpart (duh). When playing songs that tend to be more upbeat (aka have less compressible data), the bass doesn't fall apart into static and the highs remain controllable, without much tinniness. The opposite is true when I use SBC on my Mac or Android phone - perceived static in the areas that are upbeat. You can tell that the codec is really struggling to best optimise and send the music to the earbuds.

3. Reception - on my Mac and my Android phone, the right earbud keeps cutting out. Constantly. And I mean, the really annoying kind of constantly. But when using my iPhone with it, in the AAC codec, it magically fixes itself!

I can hence only come to one conclusion - these should be labelled as the most worth-it pair of earbuds... ONLY for the iPhone. I don't know what X-Mini R&D was doing, but it certainly seems like everything works flawlessly only on one platform.

On the bright side, I did get a KAI 2. That was probably the best value in the package.
 
Last edited:

Lwl363

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
X-mini Xoundpods

Hi All, got my xoundpods during the 10/10 sales but was late for the Kai 2 party. Currently using a iPhone 7 plus with 4.2 BT and constantly experiencing hiccups in my RHS xoundpod. Will dropping by their office actually fixes this issue? $60 vs half day leave, :s11:

Just read the latest comment about the compatibility with iPhone, will be upgrading soon but will be jumping onto the Android bandwagon. Maybe should just refund it..
 

huatkia

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Messages
408
Reaction score
2
I also got the constant disconnection on the right ear piece. Can do the firmware upgrade ourself??

Sent from heaven using GAGT
 

Konnichiwa

Banned
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
40,249
Reaction score
2,486
The rant for the xmini liberty is real.

Even if it is 70sgd I expected the connection between the sides to be better.

So far connection wise my jabra elite sports still win, but it costs so much more.

Sound wise I would say I prefer the x-mini liberty, but the breaking connection is just sad and frustrating

Just received my pair of X-Mini Liberty...
The connection is F-up... u get frequent static and disruption when listening to music...
 

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
Hey all,

Just received my pair of X-Mini Liberty Xoundpods today and would like to report on some interesting findings:

1. The X-Mini Liberty does support AAC...
https://i.imgur.com/c8ovKZB.png

BUT only on the iPhone. I tested this on the XS Max and received the above Bluetooth messages when debugging my iPhone using the Console App on my Mac.

I tried connecting it to my Mac and forcing AAC - failed. I tried connecting it to my Android device (LeEco Le Pro 3 with custom Android 8.1 ROM) and forced AAC - failed. For those devices, it streams on SBC.

2. AAC audio sounds WAY better than its SBC counterpart (duh). When playing songs that tend to be more upbeat (aka have less compressible data), the bass doesn't fall apart into static and the highs remain controllable, without much tinniness. The opposite is true when I use SBC on my Mac or Android phone - perceived static in the areas that are upbeat. You can tell that the codec is really struggling to best optimise and send the music to the earbuds.

3. Reception - on my Mac and my Android phone, the right earbud keeps cutting out. Constantly. And I mean, the really annoying kind of constantly. But when using my iPhone with it, in the AAC codec, it magically fixes itself!

I can hence only come to one conclusion - these should be labelled as the most worth-it pair of earbuds... ONLY for the iPhone. I don't know what X-Mini R&D was doing, but it certainly seems like everything works flawlessly only on one platform.

On the bright side, I did get a KAI 2. That was probably the best value in the package.



The disconnection is more on the BT connection from master to slave. Nothing to do with codec. As mentioned. this is a limitation with BT and most current manufacturer are going with NFMI to eliminate this issue.

OK. The AAC codec are actually more power saving than SBC and this let the Liberty pump out more power to connect between master and slave. This is one explanation i can think off.
 

micxiao

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Just received my X-mini Liberty Xoundpods earbuds and mine also has the right hand side intermittent disconnection issue even when I hold my phone right in front of me.

Has anyone been to their office at 11 Toa Payoh Lorong 3, Blk B Jackson Square #01-16/17, Singapore 319579?

Are they able to resolve the issue? :(
 

xuan87

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
2
received my x-mini liberty yesterday, was testing it in my office, no connection issue at all. I didn't test the 10m stated range, but I walked about 6-7m away, no issue. The cutout only occurred when I full covered both earphones with my hands.

This morning, I tested them from the mrt to my office. Normally for this route, I will experience a few cutouts from my other wireless earphones (Onkyo and Jabra elite sport) but for the x-mini, i only had a short half a sec cutout.

Sound quality wise is very good, veering on the thin, netural sound rather than warm with sufficient bass (exactly what i want). My only issue is the soundstage is abit weird, with it sounding abit further out than my other earphones. But I think the sound is above average for $50-70 wired earphones, not to mention wireless earphones.

I got this for the low $50s during the recent qoo10 10.10 deal, a fantastic bargain considering the great sound and above average connection strength.

For those having connection issues, what is the version of bluetooth on your phone/device? The x-mini earphones works on bluetooth 5.0 which in theory should give you amazing connection strength. My phone has 5.0 so I believe that helps.
 

dawo5010

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2011
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
The disconnection is more on the BT connection from master to slave. Nothing to do with codec. As mentioned. this is a limitation with BT and most current manufacturer are going with NFMI to eliminate this issue.

OK. The AAC codec are actually more power saving than SBC and this let the Liberty pump out more power to connect between master and slave. This is one explanation i can think off.

I'm not sure about the details on why the codec would influence the connection, although I am trying to search around for some clues.

However, for me, the fact of the matter stands as follows:
We can eliminate out of the transmitting device's Bluetooth signal, for we know that the transmitting device only sends to the left ear. Thus, so long as audio is being transmitted from the left ear, the device is broadcasting okay.

When hooked up to an Android phone/iMac via SBC, the right ear drops upon any minuscule movement, and especially around other RF devices. This is bad enough in my own room, let alone when worn outdoors.

But when hooked up to an iPhone, which seems to be the only device capable of broadcasting to it in AAC, it streams flawlessly, and even in large outdoor environments or crowded buses, it doesn't drop.

I will try to see if there is a direct correlation between the two. Personally though, I am in the opinion that these are meant only for the iPhone.
 

Gadgetfreakloh

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
114
I'm not sure about the details on why the codec would influence the connection, although I am trying to search around for some clues.

However, for me, the fact of the matter stands as follows:
We can eliminate out of the transmitting device's Bluetooth signal, for we know that the transmitting device only sends to the left ear. Thus, so long as audio is being transmitted from the left ear, the device is broadcasting okay.

When hooked up to an Android phone/iMac via SBC, the right ear drops upon any minuscule movement, and especially around other RF devices. This is bad enough in my own room, let alone when worn outdoors.

But when hooked up to an iPhone, which seems to be the only device capable of broadcasting to it in AAC, it streams flawlessly, and even in large outdoor environments or crowded buses, it doesn't drop.

I will try to see if there is a direct correlation between the two. Personally though, I am in the opinion that these are meant only for the iPhone.

If I am not wrong. AAC is 1/3 more energy efficient than SBC. Forgot where I read before. AAC max rate is 250Kbps while SBC max rate is 320Kbps. This makes AAC more efficient while giving a better sound quality. I do still think that one reason why AAC is better is due to more efficiency and the master can pump more RF power to the slave.
 

xuan87

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
2
If I am not wrong. AAC is 1/3 more energy efficient than SBC. Forgot where I read before. AAC max rate is 250Kbps while SBC max rate is 320Kbps. This makes AAC more efficient while giving a better sound quality. I do still think that one reason why AAC is better is due to more efficiency and the master can pump more RF power to the slave.

how can AAC be of better sound quality than SBC if the bitrate is lower (assuming max bitrate for both).
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top