Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
I bought my son a pair of EEA oxfords for his school dance when he was 15. But at least he just wore a Zara suit.

Some of his friends had their suits tailored.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
@thundermarch, you are not called shushu because of your age.

The sheer volume of your shoes means you have already walked like 60 years on this earth.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
I bought my son a pair of EEA oxfords for his school dance when he was 15. But at least he just wore a Zara suit.

Some of his friends had their suits tailored.

Oxfords are not that bad, because your son presumably can wear them forever... But a suit? When else is a XDD going to use a suit before he outgrows it? =s
 

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
Try H&M and Uniqlo. Cheaper. Quality is fine. H&M has new designs every now and then so it's affordable to keep changing. I find happy socks design to be too loud and more expensive.
When it comes to socks, wool is better but wool has problems when comes to laundry. I got 4 pairs of Darn Tough. They are cool in summer but warm in winter. At USD20 a pair they are not cheap. You can launder them in a washing machine which is good.

Now make it 3 pairs. One pair kenna stolen by housekeeping at a hotel.

Sent from under hotel bed still looking for missing pair of Darn Tough
 

Shiro MS08th

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
2
When it comes to socks, wool is better but wool has problems when comes to laundry. I got 4 pairs of Darn Tough. They are cool in summer but warm in winter. At USD20 a pair they are not cheap. You can launder them in a washing machine which is good.

Now make it 3 pairs. One pair kenna stolen by housekeeping at a hotel.

Sent from under hotel bed still looking for missing pair of Darn Tough
Same!

I just ordered a few pairs of light darn tough socks. Hopefully it will be thicker than saf black socks.

As previously I'm using the full cushion ones for wearing boots.

Sent from Workday using GAGT
 

EquinOoX

Master Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2003
Messages
2,714
Reaction score
16
In all honesty, is there a difference between kiwi polishes and saphir? Saphir is like 10 times the price. Anyway where is the cheapest saphir in SG? Taka or just carousell resellers?
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
In all honesty, is there a difference between kiwi polishes and saphir? Saphir is like 10 times the price. Anyway where is the cheapest saphir in SG? Taka or just carousell resellers?

Not really, if you can achieve a good shine with kiwi, use it, by all means.
Do it 20 times, save the money, take your girl out to dinner, then to bed.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Not really, if you can achieve a good shine with kiwi, use it, by all means.
Do it 20 times, save the money, take your girl out to dinner, then to bed.

Actually, is wax polish really needed if you're not looking to get a mirror finish on your shoes? I've been coping well with cream polish so far, but that's because I'm not particular about having shiny shoes.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Actually, is wax polish really needed if you're not looking to get a mirror finish on your shoes? I've been coping well with cream polish so far, but that's because I'm not particular about having shiny shoes.

Tbh, apart from the water repellent properties of wax, I too, don't mirror shine all too often as well, and most of the time just use cream and buff off with a brush.

Also because I'm a little lazy. When I look at the number of shoes i need to polish, I just say to myself, "f**k it"
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
Tbh, apart from the water repellent properties of wax, I too, don't mirror shine all too often as well, and most of the time just use cream and buff off with a brush.

Also because I'm a little lazy. When I look at the number of shoes i need to polish, I just say to myself, "f**k it"

Personally prefer wax polish. Even if not aiming for mirror shine, wax polish gives a better shine than cream after brushing off. And the water repellant property is valuable. I tend to get water stains on cream-polished shoes. The flip side (for my routine at least) is having to do a renovateur clean/nourish before applying wax whereas i will apply cream directly w/o going thru reno 1st.

I can fully understand how u feel or perhaps i cant, because my collection is a tiny fraction of yours n i already f**k it lol.

That said, i feel it is good to have a couple (for u, maybe a dozen.. Heh) of dress oxfords that u tend to go to when u suit up, to have that mirror shine. Lifts up the whole outfit!
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Once you worked up to a sufficient shine, it is easier to maintain.
Also the wax act as a buffer in case you scuff your shoes.

For me, shine for all dress shoes.
Matte clean look for all other leather shoes.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Personally prefer wax polish. Even if not aiming for mirror shine, wax polish gives a better shine than cream after brushing off. And the water repellant property is valuable. I tend to get water stains on cream-polished shoes. The flip side (for my routine at least) is having to do a renovateur clean/nourish before applying wax whereas i will apply cream directly w/o going thru reno 1st.

I can fully understand how u feel or perhaps i cant, because my collection is a tiny fraction of yours n i already f**k it lol.

That said, i feel it is good to have a couple (for u, maybe a dozen.. Heh) of dress oxfords that u tend to go to when u suit up, to have that mirror shine. Lifts up the whole outfit!

RE: waterproofing

Have you tried using leatherfeed on your shoes before, and would you recommend it? Instead of Renovateur, I use a leather feed to moisturise and waterproof so that I can skip the step of using wax polish.

http://www.je-sedgwick.co.uk/products/leather-preparation-care/original-leathercare/

Other than that I typically use cream on my shoes and haven't encountered water stains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top