Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
guys, just want to share an article I have written on my blog

My first 7 pairs... recommendation

Hope it helps those interetsted in starting their shoe wardrobe : )

You have 30 pairs of shoes? All GYW?

I am nearing 25 pairs of shoes but only 8 GYW.

I agree with all your recommendations except the black captoe Oxford. I think it should not have any brogue or medallion to be considered for the boardroom. The brogue etc also makes it hard to polish well for black tie event

Also should change the brown chukka or loafer to tan or navy for pairing with jeans.
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
You have 30 pairs of shoes? All GYW?

I am nearing 25 pairs of shoes but only 8 GYW.

I agree with all your recommendations except the black captoe Oxford. I think it should not have any brogue or medallion to be considered for the boardroom. The brogue etc also makes it hard to polish well for black tie event

Also should change the brown chukka or loafer to tan or navy for pairing with jeans.

Out of 8, 5 from eea eh? As per your 5 pairs hoot post. Lol

I reckon bro Alvinquah is coming from a more range of variety based on business and semi casual dress up views for his recommendations.
Medallion brogue with captoe on black or any dark shade is fine for the boardroom I reckon. Any more brogueing details with lighter colors would be kinda outstanding.

Navy with jeans... I've seldom seen that combo. Similar shade on shade. But then again.. I've NO pair of jeans. Zilch.. currently.. Thus I shall have no say.
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Out of 8, 5 from eea eh? As per your 5 pairs hoot post. Lol

I reckon bro Alvinquah is coming from a more range of variety based on business and semi casual dress up views for his recommendations.
Medallion brogue with captoe on black or any dark shade is fine for the boardroom I reckon. Any more brogueing details with lighter colors would be kinda outstanding.

Navy with jeans... I've seldom seen that combo. Similar shade on shade. But then again.. I've NO pair of jeans. Zilch.. currently.. Thus I shall have no say.

Yeah, 2 storm welt boots not counted.

I think quarter brogue is ok, but not medallion, which is smart casual for me. The captoe should be free to polish to high shine for special formal events. Whole cuts can do the trick too, but if there is one formal, I go with black captoe Oxford because whole cut will crease easily due to the lack of support for the last?

My navy boots look like below, but Eva wedge sole. Looks good with chinos and jeans. I wear dark indigo raw jeans. Navy is Royal Navy, so lighter shade than my jeans.

https://instagram.com/p/6uegg6QRqm/

From this colour pairing chart, navy is easy to pair.

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/pants/what-color-shoes-to-wear-with-what-color-pants/

I also have I pair of navy GYW on the way. Just ordered yesterday.
 
Last edited:

alvinquah

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
673
Reaction score
0
You have 30 pairs of shoes? All GYW?

I am nearing 25 pairs of shoes but only 8 GYW.

I agree with all your recommendations except the black captoe Oxford. I think it should not have any brogue or medallion to be considered for the boardroom. The brogue etc also makes it hard to polish well for black tie event

Also should change the brown chukka or loafer to tan or navy for pairing with jeans.

Some of them GYW, some of them HW...

I believe the most formal black oxford will be the seam across the captoe. Brogueing or medallion will depend on the environment you works for. The general rule applies. The more decoration there are, the less formal it will be...

Well color choice for chukka depend on your general pairing as well... Color choice is up to individual. Navy is a nice color also ;)

Yeah, 2 storm welt boots not counted.

I think quarter brogue is ok, but not medallion, which is smart casual for me. The captoe should be free to polish to high shine for special formal events. Whole cuts can do the trick too, but if there is one formal, I go with black captoe Oxford because whole cut will crease easily due to the lack of support for the last?

My navy boots look like below, but Eva wedge sole. Looks good with chinos and jeans. I wear dark indigo raw jeans. Navy is Royal Navy, so lighter shade than my jeans.

https://instagram.com/p/6uegg6QRqm/

From this colour pairing chart, navy is easy to pair.

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/pants/what-color-shoes-to-wear-with-what-color-pants/

I also have I pair of navy GYW on the way. Just ordered yesterday.

Actually the black oxford is my first pair of GYW and being an inexperienced shoe nerd when first started, I opt to go for more decoration since I am paying for the same price... :s13:

Also depend on how the pairing is for what occasion. Although black pair is meant for boardroom meeting, this is not happening to me as I am not in C level yet hehe

Out of 8, 5 from eea eh? As per your 5 pairs hoot post. Lol

I reckon bro Alvinquah is coming from a more range of variety based on business and semi casual dress up views for his recommendations.
Medallion brogue with captoe on black or any dark shade is fine for the boardroom I reckon. Any more brogueing details with lighter colors would be kinda outstanding.

Navy with jeans... I've seldom seen that combo. Similar shade on shade. But then again.. I've NO pair of jeans. Zilch.. currently.. Thus I shall have no say.

I usually wear my black captoe with medallion for interview which I believe is kinda acceptable. And my working environment don't warrant for a strict dress code for shoe unlike in law industries I believe...
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Yeah, 2 storm welt boots not counted.

I think quarter brogue is ok, but not medallion, which is smart casual for me. The captoe should be free to polish to high shine for special formal events. Whole cuts can do the trick too, but if there is one formal, I go with black captoe Oxford because whole cut will crease easily due to the lack of support for the last?

My navy boots look like below, but Eva wedge sole. Looks good with chinos and jeans. I wear dark indigo raw jeans. Navy is Royal Navy, so lighter shade than my jeans.

https://instagram.com/p/6uegg6QRqm/

From this colour pairing chart, navy is easy to pair.

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/pants/what-color-shoes-to-wear-with-what-color-pants/

I also have I pair of navy GYW on the way. Just ordered yesterday.
Unless in public speaking in high level events I have yet to encounter the need for a formal shoe ala spit shine plain black oxford captoe.

This is especially so for the young chap who doesn't sit at the table during high level negotiations where a suit and tie is de riguer.

Agreed that the medallion is a bit much. For the Singaporean context punched/brogued(?) captoe or auesterity brogues in black would be a better choice.

Black but without the stiff upper lip.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
19,043
Reaction score
3,676
Do you guys usually use dry or cream wax to make the leather shinier on the final step after applying leather conditioner?

Will simple kiwi (for black shoes) do the job?

Thanks
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Do you guys usually use dry or cream wax to make the leather shinier on the final step after applying leather conditioner?

Will simple kiwi (for black shoes) do the job?

Thanks

Don't apply too much. Use brush spread evenly. Use cloth with fingers if you're more precise.
Kiwi forms a layer if used too much.
Coming from an uncle who served 8yrs as a regular.:s7:
 

josephkjc

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2001
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
7
My navy shoes for wearing with jeans
6S5sdpf.jpg
 

EmmanuelWoon

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Guys, am new to this shoes thing. Recently bought a new pair of shoes and considering taking care of it so it looks nice and good.

Question is , what I should buy to make the leather good? Saphir shoe cream, wax , renovateur ? If there is only one thing I need to buy, what would it be ? Or any other cheaper alternatives ?

TIA
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
Guys, am new to this shoes thing. Recently bought a new pair of shoes and considering taking care of it so it looks nice and good.

Question is , what I should buy to make the leather good? Saphir shoe cream, wax , renovateur ? If there is only one thing I need to buy, what would it be ? Or any other cheaper alternatives ?

TIA

Dont think there is any product to make the leather good lol. Are you aware of what type of leather your new shoes are made of? Calf, polished/corrected grain?
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
I think those are his casual shoes guessing from lace colour etc, the playful lacing is probably deliberate
Fuddy duddy frowns upon "casual" oxfords

Guys, am new to this shoes thing. Recently bought a new pair of shoes and considering taking care of it so it looks nice and good.

Question is , what I should buy to make the leather good? Saphir shoe cream, wax , renovateur ? If there is only one thing I need to buy, what would it be ? Or any other cheaper alternatives ?

TIA
Basic shoe care renovatuer once every 3 months and cream once a week. Buy a horseshoe brush.

This is just for upkeep of the leather and not to get spit shine

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top