Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Ideally a 3 pair rotation makes sense economically. Wear 1 day with 2 days rest. You're looking at more than 3 years of wear.

I assume you don't wear them on casual days?
Not to be pedantic or trolling, but if a pair would last one year if I don't rotate and if two pairs last two years if I rotate between them... Wouldn't it cost the same to just get a new pair every year to replace the worn-out one?
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Not to be pedantic or trolling, but if a pair would last one year if I don't rotate and if two pairs last two years if I rotate between them... Wouldn't it cost the same to just get a new pair every year to replace the worn-out one?

That is provided the wear and tear is linear and prices remain the same year on year.
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
My Clarks lasted me a good 2.5 years with no rotation

Even then, it was the sole that wore through, the cementing didn't break down

But of course, Clarks aren't exactly cheap
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Ideally a 3 pair rotation makes sense economically. Wear 1 day with 2 days rest. You're looking at more than 3 years of wear.

I assume you don't wear them on casual days?

If I had 3 pairs of gyw to rotate, I'd expect them to last significantly longer than 3 years

1 year per pair isn't very economical IMO
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Everybody wears their shoes differently. Why not wear one each day to try or buy two to rotate?

If you wear a pair of shoes, but drive most of the time and are on carpeted floors in office.. then the wear will be siginificantly less.

Your gait and where you walk also affect the shoes....
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Not to be pedantic or trolling, but if a pair would last one year if I don't rotate and if two pairs last two years if I rotate between them... Wouldn't it cost the same to just get a new pair every year to replace the worn-out one?
The x2 longetivity is an abritary and inaccurate figure used to make a point.

With GYW shoes generally you'd be getting a much higher quality products in terms of fabric and materials used. Add to the fact they can be resoled means that you're potentially looking at the shoe growing old with you if you care for it well.

Same can't be said for cemented shoes.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
As an exception to the rule, I have a pair of hush puppies that haven't fallen apart on ne after 5 years of wear.

However the leather is akin to cardboard. Far worst than anything the much reviled Meermin's would ever use on their shoes.



Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 
Last edited:

jonleelk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
97
Probably in between those years, you have added a lot more shoes.
Yes, but the added ones are all for Fri-Sun.

Mon-Thur same 2 pairs. When time to resole, resoled one pair and dumped the other. Bought new ones for Mon-Thur.
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Cool, thanks for the advice. Will look out for another good deal :o In the meantime maybe I'll rotate with my current shoes. Hopefully I will not 脚踏实地 soon since the sole has a few cracks :o
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
cs6Iz2B.jpg

Didn't realised my navy socks had such a purple-ish look. Break-in for LLYR is bad. Instep hurts. Otherwise all good.
Just to note, I'm a size 43 usually. LLYR 44 as the last is slim. But size 43 shoe trees won't fit in. Gotta get another damn trees sized down.
All in all, I prefer my British shoes due to the nice high instep allowance. Just my 2 cents.
 
Last edited:

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
The elongated last of @drift..... LLYR shoes remind me of G&G.

That may be the aesthetics that LLYR is striving for.
GG is English, come to think of it.
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Break-in for LLYR is bad. Instep hurts.
Just to note, I'm a size 44 usually. LLYR 44 as the last is slim. But size 43 shoe trees won't fit in. Gotta get another damn trees sized down.
All in all, I prefer my British shoes due to the nice high instep allowance. Just my 2 cents.
I'm luckier, my feet fits LLYR better as I got them in my true size and there is no pain besides the stiff leather discomfort that most GY-welted shoes have.

Just wear them more until they soften.

Have to admit LLYR's leather is relatively stiff though.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
The elongated last of @drift..... LLYR shoes remind me of G&G.

That may be the aesthetics that LLYR is striving for.
GG is English, come to think of it.

Yeah probably.. But they gotta account for those with larger feet. ie: higher instep cuts and width. Tried a double EE width on their Captoes, made the last too pointy with wider width.
Something from GG I want to try in future.

elsQyxo.jpg


GPGT Llyr sale edition:

14Jul2016_zpssj05a47m.jpg~original

Nice kicks. I believe that burgundy patina would age well. More polish and cream would make it darker giving a more formal look I reckon.
And yeah.. Just got a shoe from Llyr to try. Let's just see how much I'll enjoy this shoe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top