Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
What time were you in the store? Crowded?
May want to revisit when there is lesser crowd in the store.
 

Wanderlust

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
296
Reaction score
2
Tks guys for your inputs. You are right, Carmina shoe trees does not come in half sizes. Perhaps I will get my shoe size then. I totally agree that the guy's service is certainly commendable even though I did not purchase any shoes in the end. Maybe I will get a belt or shoe trees or some other accessories on my next visit.
 

Bluebird33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
Emailed Carmina and they told me they accept MTOs now. The reason I was denied an MTO when I visited them last Sunday was that the carmina factory is closed for 2weeks+ at end july.

I expressed my interest in doing MTO with them and they allowed it, I shall drop by this saturday to try on the lasts. The way they replied me in the email was very professional and fast(less than 10 minutes a reply at 12 midnight), definitely going to do a MTO with them, after that, will order a cordovan boots via MTO online as their cordovan prices are very very high.
 

terras14

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
The shoe trees by Carmina do not come in 1/2 sizes.

I was there last evening also with my friend. I must say that their service level was impeccable. As it happened, I was wearing my Carmina shell cordovan shoes that day as well. The guy offered to clean and polish my shoes which had some ungainly stains.

In what must have taken him about 15 minutes. I tried on some of the sizing of shoes (with the full intention to complete my purchases online). Not once did they demonstrate their unhappiness, which is highly commendable in our country where shitty service rules the day.

It was certainly a very pleasant experience, but the prohibitive price difference made it next to impossible for me to justify buying from the store.[/QUOTE
This cannot be sustainable. . Another 6 months we may get shitty service and maybe must register to walk into shop haha. After few times trying without buying will be rejected for further admission.
 

BigAssGun

High Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
165,218
Reaction score
1
BAG ordering from Herring sale also? But don't make sense to buy together since will tio GST also.

yes de, ordered church lisbon monk shoes

dhl delivery, very fast siol

today received it, love e shoes

size fit nicely
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
you can email them, from what I see on their website, they do not have a ecommerce platform but they take order via email.

A lot of SF ppl say that C&J stuff are overpriced though. And their quality is comparable to lower priced brands like carmina. They have a huge range of lasts and their designs are very stylish though.

I certainly beg to differ.
I am very satisfied, and impressed even, at C&J's quality and consistency.
As a benchmark for comparison, I do own a good number of carminas, as well as C&Js, and EGs.
There is a noticeable difference in the quality and finishing of even C&J's benchgrades, compared to carminas (C&Js being better for sure). And they are very very consistent as well.
I sometimes do feel that there is a bit too much hype over EGs, and having bought and worn the Laughtons, feel a little underwhelmed by them, especially since I bought the C&J Weybridge at the same time. The Weybridge being better (imo) than the EG pair (more supple uppers, richer colour, even comparable finishing).
To say that C&J is overpriced, is grossly inaccurate, by far. I'd spend more money on them, at a moment's notice.
 

striker22

Master Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
7
Oh how time flies. I bought my first C&J 15 years ago from Plal. They were the darling of the forums back then.
 

Bluebird33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
I certainly beg to differ.
I am very satisfied, and impressed even, at C&J's quality and consistency.
As a benchmark for comparison, I do own a good number of carminas, as well as C&Js, and EGs.
There is a noticeable difference in the quality and finishing of even C&J's benchgrades, compared to carminas (C&Js being better for sure). And they are very very consistent as well.
I sometimes do feel that there is a bit too much hype over EGs, and having bought and worn the Laughtons, feel a little underwhelmed by them, especially since I bought the C&J Weybridge at the same time. The Weybridge being better (imo) than the EG pair (more supple uppers, richer colour, even comparable finishing).
To say that C&J is overpriced, is grossly inaccurate, by far. I'd spend more money on them, at a moment's notice.

Thanks for your advise. I'll definitely purchase a pair of C&J next year when I visit London. For now, they suggested me to spend ~$200 worth of shipping fees just to try out their shoe, if the size is ok then they will MTO mine. Because I need G width in 325 last, I can't order RTW, as they only have those grainy no design derby shoes that I dislike in stock. Do you think its worth it to spend that much just to try?

Total price would be about $1400 for a calf loafer....
 
Last edited:

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Probably wrong thread - but how's the markup on the Carmina belts in Capitol compared to online? Similar to the shoes?
 

josephkjc

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2001
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
7
Probably wrong thread - but how's the markup on the Carmina belts in Capitol compared to online? Similar to the shoes?

If I recall correctly they are selling at $150 for calf and suede ones while cordovan are $250
 

J.T.M.

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2013
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Thanks for your advise. I'll definitely purchase a pair of C&J next year when I visit London. For now, they suggested me to spend ~$200 worth of shipping fees just to try out their shoe, if the size is ok then they will MTO mine. Because I need G width in 325 last, I can't order RTW, as they only have those grainy no design derby shoes that I dislike in stock. Do you think its worth it to spend that much just to try?

Total price would be about $1400 for a calf loafer....

My suggestion is not to buy directly from c&j if you are going for their RTW. Other websites that stock c&j offer better shipping rates. Prices are also slightly more competitive.
 

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
115,262
Reaction score
71
I have a Justin Fitzpatrick Greenwood in coming to me in a few days. Hopefully it turned out good. The patina as well. I will post some pic.
 

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
11222527_10156017097175001_6429551676860421190_n.jpg

My new shoes. Waited almost 2months, but quite worth it.
 

TUV2008

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
77,707
Reaction score
28,157
The shoe trees by Carmina do not come in 1/2 sizes.

I was there last evening also with my friend. I must say that their service level was impeccable. As it happened, I was wearing my Carmina shell cordovan shoes that day as well. The guy offered to clean and polish my shoes which had some ungainly stains.

In what must have taken him about 15 minutes. I tried on some of the sizing of shoes (with the full intention to complete my purchases online). Not once did they demonstrate their unhappiness, which is highly commendable in our country where shitty service rules the day.

It was certainly a very pleasant experience, but the prohibitive price difference made it next to impossible for me to justify buying from the store.

You are right ... I look for the Cordovan the prices are $2000. I see online only Euro 500+, less than S$900, online price is tempting ...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top