Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
10,132
Reaction score
239
DIY cork insole FR

Umm.. How thick is the cork (no pun intended) that Daiso has ah?

Sent from Huawei NEXUS 6P using GAGT

As u can see the insole has mounded to the shape of my foot with just a day of wear.
lCJ2Jz2.jpg

It's kinda like custom mouldable inserts. Holds up pretty well, no cork bits falling off.
Successfully birkenstocked my shoes! Now I have cork insoles in all my dress shoes

Each layer is 1.5mm, for this particular pair I made 2 layers, with an additional heel portion sandwiched between the 2 layers, for a total of 4.5mm in the heel and 3mm in the forefoot.
I suppose one can add or reduce layers to have the best customized fit.

#Daisohacks
#DIYisfun
#SavingGaia
 

DiCaprio

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
613
Reaction score
8
As u can see the insole has mounded to the shape of my foot with just a day of wear.
lCJ2Jz2.jpg

It's kinda like custom mouldable inserts. Holds up pretty well, no cork bits falling off.
Successfully birkenstocked my shoes! Now I have cork insoles in all my dress shoes

Each layer is 1.5mm, for this particular pair I made 2 layers, with an additional heel portion sandwiched between the 2 layers, for a total of 4.5mm in the heel and 3mm in the forefoot.
I suppose one can add or reduce layers to have the best customized fit.

#Daisohacks
#DIYisfun
#SavingGaia
Thanks for the pics! Was just at the Tampines branch, they stock 100% Cork in 3mm sheets, maybe you can consider getting those the next time!

Sent from Huawei NEXUS 6P using GAGT
 

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
10,132
Reaction score
239
They're here!!!:s12:
OmaeRnR.jpg


EDIT:
Initial Impressions: I'M ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY. Wow. Wow. WOW!
 
Last edited:

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
10,132
Reaction score
239
Patience, guys.
Will give full review soon, when I can take better quality pics in the daytime :)
 

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
10,132
Reaction score
239
Carlos Santos Urban Trekker boot review

I've never been so excited over a pair of shoes...

The appeal of these boots is such that it is designed as a sleek dressy casual boot, with a level of formality lying somewhere between a work/hiker boot and a dress boot.

First, the pics:
LFoRfEh.jpg

This is a monkey-style boot, a rare yet very classic design. Calf leather, fully leather lined, double-stitched storm welt Goodyear welted, with leather mid soles and rubber outsoles.
Stitched through commando soles, for those daring raids deep inside shopping malls. It's softer than those vibram soles found on most hiker boots, also softer than Dainite. So I'd expect a softer ride at the expense of durability.

IkyitBO.jpg

This pic captures the Coimbra patina quite well. It's like a deep chestnut color, and the patina only shows in strong light. Very subtle, very very well done!
I really dig the soft "eagle claw toe" of CS lasts, and the storm welt accentuates it.

Details:
cFuNXzK.jpg

Thick beefy storm welt , double-stitched and stained. Calf stitching is flawless throughout, not a single loose/stray thread. And check out the crazy detail on that first eyelet!

lDLOZ1S.jpg

Welt-joint isn't perfect...but it's pretty damn good. Welt meets leather midsole meets rubber.
Stacked heels. The lightly padded CS medallion is stitched onto the inner ankle.

The inner construction blew me away...
SIWPfAR.jpg

That seam running down the back of the heel is one of only two seams holding four pieces of inner lining leather together. Less seams means less chance of failure, and less hotspots irritating the foot. I don't know how CS pulled it off, but they did.
Heel padding is just the right balance of firm and cushy.

B1fEwVY.jpg

And there's the other seam running across the tongue. Tongue is lightly padded.

4QjuNmU.jpg

And here's a feature I really like: ankle flex zone. The cut-out should give the boots a bit more flexibility. Lace loop is pretty sturdy at 1.5mm thick, and is stitched to the tongue using a simple and elegant method. Also note the tri-color hiker-style laces, which does give the design a hiker-ish vibe.

Last comparison:
3yARMgE.jpg

CS 234 last compared with Loake Capital last, UK6.5 vs UK8.
This size for me is a tad roomy, UK7.5 would have been ideal. My original intention was to get a larger size to accommodate thick wool hiker socks and an insole. Unfortunately they only made this design in full sizes, so I had to size up.
It looks...big, mainly because of the elongated last and that BIG ASS storm welt
(I dunno...I guess I'm a little worried abt looking like Ronald McD? )

Leather quality: OH. MY. GOD.
One word: superlative.
Perfectly smooth and taut throughout, with not a single stretch mark or imperfection. Pressing on or flexing the leather produces very fine wrinkles, which immediately disappear once I lift my finger. Fingernail indentations/scratches gets rubbed out easily. I compared it with my Loake 1880 Strands, and ...it's not even close. Loake 1880s are good shoes, but Carlos Santos is clearly in a different league, both in terms of leather quality and construction.
And at a price point very similar to Loake 1880s, it's a no brainier. My next pair will definitely be from Carlos Santos.

Likes:
Leather, construction, design, Coimbra patina, finishing, padded tongue & cuffs, gunmetal speed hooks, sleek sculpted last

Dislikes:
Does not come in half-sizes

If I were to really nitpick, I would have preferred a more hard-wearing material for the outsole.
Also, the vertical heel reinforcement leather strip runs all the way to the top of the cuff, which means that stiff part of the cuff might dig into the calves.

SUMMARY:
A hiker boot it is not, but for weekend raids into malls and for stomping around town, the Carlos Santos Urban Trekkers exclusive to Arthur Knight represents tremendous value and a dressier alternative to Red Wing boots.
 
Last edited:

adriosz

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2013
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
@JoePilot...Tempting....Do they have this in other colours? Sorry too busy(lazy) to chk myself...hurhur...
 

zimk30

Junior Member
Joined
May 23, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Does anyone here has experience with G&G MH71 last in UK8.5?

Willing to pay a fee to try the shoes if available. PM me. thanks
 

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2010
Messages
12,141
Reaction score
121
Hey guys, need abit of help. I scratched my yanko in testa de moro color and its showing a light brown line. What should I buy and do to care for it thanks.
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Hey guys, need abit of help. I scratched my yanko in testa de moro color and its showing a light brown line. What should I buy and do to care for it thanks.

How bad is the scratch? Usually a gd polish with wax and/or cream would cover up most of the scratches.

A pic of the scratch would be helpful.
 

Edwardtzy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Messages
528
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, just to ask if I have a pair of meermin suede loafers in Ron last, size UK8.5. But I kept having heel slip, would it be better to get another pair by going half size or one size down?

just FYI, I wear a UK 9.5 in Hiro last. The size variation is quite huge i think? Given that the general rule of thumb to buying loafers online is to down half size?
 
Last edited:

Daniel.Y

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
731
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, just to ask if I have a pair of meermin suede loafers in Ron last, size UK8.5. But I kept having heel slip, would it be better to get another pair by going half size or one size down?

just FYI, I wear a UK 9.5 in Hiro last. The size variation is quite huge i think? Given that the general rule of thumb to buying loafers online is to down half size?

Maybe half a size down might be ok. A full size down might result in the overall length to be shorter.

Or frankly, the Ron last is just not suitable for your feet.
 

Daniel.Y

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
731
Reaction score
0
I've never been so excited over a pair of shoes...

The appeal of these boots is such that it is designed as a sleek dressy casual boot, with a level of formality lying somewhere between a work/hiker boot and a dress boot.

First, the pics:
LFoRfEh.jpg

This is a monkey-style boot, a rare yet very classic design. Calf leather, fully leather lined, double-stitched storm welt Goodyear welted, with leather mid soles and rubber outsoles.
Stitched through commando soles, for those daring raids deep inside shopping malls. It's softer than those vibram soles found on most hiker boots, also softer than Dainite. So I'd expect a softer ride at the expense of durability.

IkyitBO.jpg

This pic captures the Coimbra patina quite well. It's like a deep chestnut color, and the patina only shows in strong light. Very subtle, very very well done!
I really dig the soft "eagle claw toe" of CS lasts, and the storm welt accentuates it.

Details:
cFuNXzK.jpg

Thick beefy storm welt , double-stitched and stained. Calf stitching is flawless throughout, not a single loose/stray thread. And check out the crazy detail on that first eyelet!

lDLOZ1S.jpg

Welt-joint isn't perfect...but it's pretty damn good. Welt meets leather midsole meets rubber.
Stacked heels. The lightly padded CS medallion is stitched onto the inner ankle.

The inner construction blew me away...
SIWPfAR.jpg

That seam running down the back of the heel is one of only two seams holding four pieces of inner lining leather together. Less seams means less chance of failure, and less hotspots irritating the foot. I don't know how CS pulled it off, but they did.
Heel padding is just the right balance of firm and cushy.

B1fEwVY.jpg

And there's the other seam running across the tongue. Tongue is lightly padded.

4QjuNmU.jpg

And here's a feature I really like: ankle flex zone. The cut-out should give the boots a bit more flexibility. Lace loop is pretty sturdy at 1.5mm thick, and is stitched to the tongue using a simple and elegant method. Also note the tri-color hiker-style laces, which does give the design a hiker-ish vibe.

Last comparison:
3yARMgE.jpg

CS 234 last compared with Loake Capital last, UK6.5 vs UK8.
This size for me is a tad roomy, UK7.5 would have been ideal. My original intention was to get a larger size to accommodate thick wool hiker socks and an insole. Unfortunately they only made this design in full sizes, so I had to size up.
It looks...big, mainly because of the elongated last and that BIG ASS storm welt
(I dunno...I guess I'm a little worried abt looking like Ronald McD? )

Leather quality: OH. MY. GOD.
One word: superlative.
Perfectly smooth and taut throughout, with not a single stretch mark or imperfection. Pressing on or flexing the leather produces very fine wrinkles, which immediately disappear once I lift my finger. Fingernail indentations/scratches gets rubbed out easily. I compared it with my Loake 1880 Strands, and ...it's not even close. Loake 1880s are good shoes, but Carlos Santos is clearly in a different league, both in terms of leather quality and construction.
And at a price point very similar to Loake 1880s, it's a no brainier. My next pair will definitely be from Carlos Santos.

Likes:
Leather, construction, design, Coimbra patina, finishing, padded tongue & cuffs, gunmetal speed hooks, sleek sculpted last

Dislikes:
Does not come in half-sizes

If I were to really nitpick, I would have preferred a more hard-wearing material for the outsole.
Also, the vertical heel reinforcement leather strip runs all the way to the top of the cuff, which means that stiff part of the cuff might dig into the calves.

SUMMARY:
A hiker boot it is not, but for weekend raids into malls and for stomping around town, the Carlos Santos Urban Trekkers exclusive to Arthur Knight represents tremendous value and a dressier alternative to Red Wing boots.

Nice write-up Joe.
 

kuang89

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2006
Messages
1,643
Reaction score
7
anyone knows anything about Dkode? this brand from Portugal and I saw it selling at Taka.

Nothing much online, but i saw that it is selling Goodyear Welt shoes for less than $150.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top