Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

liuhao

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
0
Today I tried the loake drake at Robinson. Just to get a feel of it. I understand it's design loake range which is made in India. But still it's Goodyear welt and using full grain leather. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My size is 41 or US size 8 so that translated to UK size 7. Luckily the sample shoes is exact 7 and I feel the fit is quite good for me.

However I tried to walk a few steps. I found the leather sole is quite thin and flat. Basically no cushion at all, comparing to the rubber sole shoes I have. It's quite hard and a bit painful to walk. Is this normal? Perhaps I shall get a soft and thicker insole? In case I may need to get UK size of 7.5 to accommodate the insole. How do you guys manage this? My first time on loake shoes.
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
just fyi for the people here, I paid $40 for sole and heel (the thinner one) at Keyshoe (Tampines1 basement)
 

greatpoke

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
314
Reaction score
0
Today I tried the loake drake at Robinson. Just to get a feel of it. I understand it's design loake range which is made in India. But still it's Goodyear welt and using full grain leather. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My size is 41 or US size 8 so that translated to UK size 7. Luckily the sample shoes is exact 7 and I feel the fit is quite good for me.

However I tried to walk a few steps. I found the leather sole is quite thin and flat. Basically no cushion at all, comparing to the rubber sole shoes I have. It's quite hard and a bit painful to walk. Is this normal? Perhaps I shall get a soft and thicker insole? In case I may need to get UK size of 7.5 to accommodate the insole. How do you guys manage this? My first time on loake shoes.
I'm not a pro but seems like is the first time u on Goodyear welted shoes ? They feel generally thinner than rubber soles so what u are feeling should be correct. It actually feels better IMO than rubber soles. Loake shoes from my experience requires breaking in which is getting your shoes used to your feet shape. The ones I had are 1880 and they do require breaking in

Sent from Gong Wu Gong Bo from OnePlus 1 using GAGT
 

liuhao

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the info. So.. additional insole not required?

I'm not a pro but seems like is the first time u on Goodyear welted shoes ? They feel generally thinner than rubber soles so what u are feeling should be correct. It actually feels better IMO than rubber soles. Loake shoes from my experience requires breaking in which is getting your shoes used to your feet shape. The ones I had are 1880 and they do require breaking in

Sent from Gong Wu Gong Bo from OnePlus 1 using GAGT
 

greatpoke

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
314
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the info. So.. additional insole not required?
Personally I wouldn't. Cause it would the defeat the purpose of the comfiness loake has designed. Maybe u could tamba the rubber sole ? I don't drive so lots of walking required. And due to that leather soles lifespan wear off jin fast. But I've heard a bro here who never tamba rubber sole.

Sent from Gong Wu Gong Bo from OnePlus 1 using GAGT
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Wow. Then that's pretty neat. The cushioning issue is just a matter of getting used to it. After wearing GYW shoes I find that cemented shoes are unsually light and impersonal. In comparison although breaking the shoes in are a bitch-I've had the nastiest blisters you can imagine- GYW shoes just feel so damn sturdy. The moulding of the sole to your feet is true too. Whereas a cemented shoe's sole just feels flat and impersonal my GYW feels like they're fitted just for me.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
 

liuhao

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
0
I got what you mean, I think.

Need to change the way I walk. Just like practicing bare foot running.

Wow. Then that's pretty neat. The cushioning issue is just a matter of getting used to it. After wearing GYW shoes I find that cemented shoes are unsually light and impersonal. In comparison although breaking the shoes in are a bitch-I've had the nastiest blisters you can imagine- GYW shoes just feel so damn sturdy. The moulding of the sole to your feet is true too. Whereas a cemented shoe's sole just feels flat and impersonal my GYW feels like they're fitted just for me.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
 

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
Personally I wouldn't. Cause it would the defeat the purpose of the comfiness loake has designed. Maybe u could tamba the rubber sole ? I don't drive so lots of walking required. And due to that leather soles lifespan wear off jin fast. But I've heard a bro here who never tamba rubber sole.

Sent from Gong Wu Gong Bo from OnePlus 1 using GAGT
Actually the leather soles are quite durable right? I also don't put the rubber on it and my shoes still OK. Haven't had to resole any of them yet. I also walk alot throughout the day.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Interest check,

I have a "5-wears" pair of EdEtAl double monk in Antique Brown in size 44. It does not fit me well; especially on the in-step of my left foot.

I have spent more time shining the shoe then wearing it. I am now prepared to let it go at a steep discount if anyone is interested. I have no time to let anyone try the shoes though.

Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks.
 

greatpoke

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
314
Reaction score
0
Actually the leather soles are quite durable right? I also don't put the rubber on it and my shoes still OK. Haven't had to resole any of them yet. I also walk alot throughout the day.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
I walk from home to bus stop and bus stop to office total 20mins. So each day I Chao Chao 40mins. Hahaha. Always walk through dust and roads that are still in construction. The sole also mor peng jialat Jialat.

Sent from Gong Wu Gong Bo from OnePlus 1 using GAGT
 

liuhao

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2000
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
0
my concern was more about comfort, because i found the GYW leather sole is thin, flat, hard and cushion-less comparing to rubber sole. felt like bare foot walking on pavement. wondering if i add a thick insole to inside the shoes to add a bit comfort. but in that case i gotta upsize from UK 7 to 7.5.

The bata insole is quite ok but about at least 3mm thick:

1a75.jpg


the first thought after i walked a few steps was...are these shoes made for walking? hehe

then again i guess it's just matter of getting used to it...
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Interest check,

I have a "5-wears" pair of EdEtAl double monk in Antique Brown in size 44. It does not fit me well; especially on the in-step of my left foot.

I have spent more time shining the shoe then wearing it. I am now prepared to let it go at a steep discount if anyone is interested. I have no time to let anyone try the shoes though.

Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks.
Your post intrigues me as I'm a 45 in EEA!

Have you tried sending them back for stretching? My EEA's had the same issue that yiu described in addition to being too narrow. It took me nearly 3 months of consistent wear (3 days/week) before they felt right.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT
 

BallGag

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
6
Your post intrigues me as I'm a 45 in EEA!

Have you tried sending them back for stretching? My EEA's had the same issue that yiu described in addition to being too narrow. It took me nearly 3 months of consistent wear (3 days/week) before they felt right.

Sent from the exploded Death Star using GAGT

I think the instep might be too high for arcfire. That's my experience with most EEA lasts.
 

BallGag

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
6
my concern was more about comfort, because i found the GYW leather sole is thin, flat, hard and cushion-less comparing to rubber sole. felt like bare foot walking on pavement. wondering if i add a thick insole to inside the shoes to add a bit comfort. but in that case i gotta upsize from UK 7 to 7.5.

The bata insole is quite ok but about at least 3mm thick:

1a75.jpg


the first thought after i walked a few steps was...are these shoes made for walking? hehe

then again i guess it's just matter of getting used to it...

If you get a chance, try the 1880 range. If the shoes feel more comfortable, then I'm afraid it's just a quality issue with the Design Loake line.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top