Regarding the Brannock device, the red wing people seems to be the ones that measure them well enough.
I've seen it at New Balance, running lab and RSH too as others mentioned but do note that the Brannock is (highly suspect) not standard and some staff are not trained to measure it properly, I've had SAs tell me to stand one foot forward, some ask me to sit (nice of them but measurement will get screwed.)
When I mention non standard, I suspect highly that they use different scale of measurement. I am right on 11D but some put me 11E, others in sports outlet put me closer to 12. Obviously time of the day and amount of exercise you had that day makes a difference. They can only provide a starting point as a guide but not to be trusted as a definite number for ordering online. Even if you paid a professional to do it, it is not a be all end all number.
Alot of European houses dun put much trust on the brannock, and they operate a different sizing scheme. The Japanese ones just straightaway tell me no size but my friend size 8 they use a measuring tape at Isetan. Most of the best shoemakers don't put people on Brannock devices and that seems to tell me how much faith they have in them.