Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucied

Suspended
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
0
Anywhere recommended to add vibram top to GYW shoes?

Heard Shukey at far east is good from a friend.
 

Bluebird33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
If you are referring to the dilemma of choosing between Meermin and Vass.....
Please, I implore you, sincerely, save up a bit longer and go for Vass, if you are confident of your sizing.
In fact, even if I was not sure of sizing, I would still rather take a risk on Vass.
Vass, may on occasion, being prone to mistakes, but their goodwill / service and overall quality of shoes surely make for a good investment.

Just emailed meermin, too bad they can't do width EEE for me. I'll take the risk and go for Vass. I think if it doesn't fit I can still exchange it right? As long as I pay the return shipping fee.

Vass is taking their own sweet time replying emails... Been waiting 3 days from last reply. Any other option ordering from other retailers? I tried Ascot but their prices are terrible.
 

striker22

Master Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
7
striker, can you explain your rationale so that we all can learn from your experience?

I have never added metal taps.

From one Punjabi to the next, i can tell you that metal toe taps are rarely installed well.

Inherent in the design is the fact that walking on carpets can cause it to snag, and the threads of the carpet when caught on a sharp point can cause you to trip.

In addition, the screws tend to come out easily cause you need to remember that there are no thread that secure the screws unlike metal parts, it is screwed onto leather, which is organic and can expand. Some use a combination of glue on the screws and that works better.

There is more room for error than any benefits it bestows. If you are a toe kicker, a double sole and a wider welt works much better.
 

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
Just emailed meermin, too bad they can't do width EEE for me. I'll take the risk and go for Vass. I think if it doesn't fit I can still exchange it right? As long as I pay the return shipping fee.

Vass is taking their own sweet time replying emails... Been waiting 3 days from last reply. Any other option ordering from other retailers? I tried Ascot but their prices are terrible.

I would recommend meeting up with Isaac (or his pal, Danny). They are the Singapore and Oceania dealer for Vass. At present, Isaac is away from Singapore though. You may meet Danny to test & determine your Vass sizing physically instead. If you're keen, I can PM you his contact. I believe he can facilitate your MTO order too; with an upcharge of course.

Having wide feet and high instep myself, "New Peter" lasts (especially the derby styles) suits me the best. I believe the last is 'EE' (or maybe even feels like 'EEE' subjected to the wearer's feet size). Hah.



 
Last edited:

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
Anywhere recommended to add vibram top to GYW shoes?
Heard Shukey at far east is good from a friend.

Live at Serangoon. Work at orchard and farrer park

Since you're residing at Serangoon, I would recommend Kips & Kwik located at Junction 8, Bishan.

IIRC, he charges $28 for a pair of Vibram (not Topy) soles while $22 for heels.

The gent is well-mannered and selfless in sharing shoe care maintenance advices. He's particular busy during weekends so it's advisable to visit him during weekdays instead.
 

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
82,860
Reaction score
7,413
Since you're residing at Serangoon, I would recommend Kips & Kwik located at Junction 8, Bishan.

IIRC, he charges $28 for a pair of Vibram (not Topy) soles while $22 for heels.

The gent is well-mannered and selfless in sharing shoe care maintenance advices. He's particular busy during weekends so it's advisable to visit him during weekdays instead.

the one at the basement?
 

Bluebird33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
I would recommend meeting up with Isaac (or his pal, Danny). They are the Singapore and Oceania dealer for Vass. At present, Isaac is away from Singapore though. You may meet Danny to test & determine your Vass sizing physically instead. If you're keen, I can PM you his contact. I believe he can facilitate your MTO order too; with an upcharge of course.

Having wide feet and high instep myself, "New Peter" lasts (especially the derby styles) suits me the best. I believe the last is 'EE' (or maybe even feels like 'EEE' subjected to the wearer's feet size). Hah.




How much does he upcharge? Not very comfortable with receiving all the service from them and not buying from them.. Makes me guilty as I'm in sales too. lol.
 

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
How much does he upcharge? Not very comfortable with receiving all the service from them and not buying from them.. Makes me guilty as I'm in sales too. lol.

Excerpt from Isaac's email reply previously:

"A rough price guide would be that stock shoes in fine boxcalf leather will cost under SGD$900 and MTOs will be slightly dearer (depending on make-up). The prices include lasted shoe trees and shipping."

Under no obligation do you have to place an order. They are a bunch of nice folks and some of the brothers here can testify for that. Hah.
 

SquallLH

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2001
Messages
5,066
Reaction score
609
From one Punjabi to the next, i can tell you that metal toe taps are rarely installed well.

Inherent in the design is the fact that walking on carpets can cause it to snag, and the threads of the carpet when caught on a sharp point can cause you to trip.

In addition, the screws tend to come out easily cause you need to remember that there are no thread that secure the screws unlike metal parts, it is screwed onto leather, which is organic and can expand. Some use a combination of glue on the screws and that works better.

There is more room for error than any benefits it bestows. If you are a toe kicker, a double sole and a wider welt works much better.

Thanks for the heads up but mind sharing where you got this done? :s12:
 

striker22

Master Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
7
Straight from shoemakers. I do not encourage you to do it other than by the shoemaker themselves, which is a blessing that so many cobblers don't know about it or don't offer it. There are too many errors a cobbler can make, chief of which is cutting too deep into the thread and using incorrect length of screws, both of which cause irreparable damage to the shoe, GYW/ HW or otherwise.

The worst combination is actually metal toe taps on single leather soles. Actually anything that you drive into shoes has the potential to cause damage, pegs, brass nails, screws. Where possible, choose as simple as you can. As much as anyone tell you otherwise, leather is a "dead" material, when you create a hole and it is subjected to flexion and abrasion, the holes don't heal, they only get bigger.
 

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
82,860
Reaction score
7,413
if the shoemakers are in UK, USA or Italy, not practical to send there for resole, right?

I have a 15 year old Florsheim Imperial Wingtip looking for a resole and reconditioning of the leather,
any shortcut solution?
 

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
if the shoemakers are in UK, USA or Italy, not practical to send there for resole, right?

I have a 15 year old Florsheim Imperial Wingtip looking for a resole and reconditioning of the leather,
any shortcut solution?

I'm uncertain what you meant by "shortcut solution" but I believe that Ed Et Al offers recrafting services here locally for their shoes at $150 and $180 for others.

 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
if the shoemakers are in UK, USA or Italy, not practical to send there for resole, right?

I have a 15 year old Florsheim Imperial Wingtip looking for a resole and reconditioning of the leather,
any shortcut solution?

15 years. Very good maintenance regime i suspect.
I heard the older Florsheims are better.
 

jonleelk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,122
Reaction score
97
I'm uncertain what you meant by "shortcut solution" but I believe that Ed Et Al offers recrafting services here locally for their shoes at $150 and $180 for others.

I just sent my 4 yr old Loake 1880 to eea for recrafting. Will share the outcome after collection.
 

striker22

Master Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
7
Would you be so kind to check for me when collecting if during recrafting they are able to reduce a shoe by 1/2 size? Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top