Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
juz a qns, does leather sole last longer than rubber ones? :s11:

Rubber sole protectors on leather soles are the best IMO. As for which one lasts longer I think it boils down to quality of the rubber or leather.

As for which one lasts longer, I believe, this is entirely subjective according to one's nature of work, rotation of shoes, proper care maintenance and even the person's gait. On the same note, I wouldn't hesitate to affix rubber pieces (aka topy/vibram) to my leather soles so as to impede deterioration. In which Singapore is a warm, humid country, one may argue that by adding rubber pieces MAY lead to the deterioration of the soles quicker as our feet perspire more due to the restricted and limited soles' breathability. But really, this boils down to one's cognizance of the importance of shoes' rotation, inserting shoe trees and proper shoe care maintenance as mentioned earlier.

Personally, I find this to be cost-effective and practical rather than resoling. To each his own. More often that not, resoling a pair of shoes can amount to at least 1/3 of its original purchase price. As for the expenses calculations sake, I will save it for another day perhaps.
 

dark_aLLeY

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
48,030
Reaction score
143
Ask around. If its a name commonly recalled by the average person on the street, chances are its a Big Brand with an equally big marketing budget lol

Yet to see any GCP who knew about Carmina

Majority of local folks don't even know what is goodyear welt. =:p

Those who didn't know about carmina, will be shocked by the local boutique price and buy LV, Prada, Ferrogamo shoes etc instead.

Those who know carmina, will end up going to online webstore, online retailers, to purchase instead. :s13:
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
I had an interesting conversation with a mall cobbler on Sunday.

I asked whether he can add metal toe taps on my shoes.

He then asked me what they are. I tried to explain. And he ended up asking if I wanted the metal toe taps to make a sound when i dance.

I said no. And tried to explain that it is a form of protection.

He then tell me to bring the taps, and he can fix it.

I thanked him profusely and quickly retreated out of his shop.
 

koburn

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
As for which one lasts longer, I believe, this is entirely subjective according to one's nature of work, rotation of shoes, proper care maintenance and even the person's gait. On the same note, I wouldn't hesitate to affix rubber pieces (aka topy/vibram) to my leather soles so as to impede deterioration. In which Singapore is a warm, humid country, one may argue that by adding rubber pieces MAY lead to the deterioration of the soles quicker as our feet perspire more due to the restricted and limited soles' breathability. But really, this boils down to one's cognizance of the importance of shoes' rotation, inserting shoe trees and proper shoe care maintenance as mentioned earlier.

Personally, I find this to be cost-effective and practical rather than resoling. To each his own. More often that not, resoling a pair of shoes can amount to at least 1/3 of its original purchase price. As for the expenses calculations sake, I will save it for another day perhaps.

I am a purist, no rubbers for me.
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
799
I had an interesting conversation with a mall cobbler on Sunday.

I asked whether he can add metal toe taps on my shoes.

He then asked me what they are. I tried to explain. And he ended up asking if I wanted the metal toe taps to make a sound when i dance.

I said no. And tried to explain that it is a form of protection.

He then tell me to bring the taps, and he can fix it.

I thanked him profusely and quickly retreated out of his shop.

Tiagong M&S can do indented taps

Tiagong Ard 60-80 though
 

TUV2008

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
77,757
Reaction score
28,176
Nike makes horrible running shoes. Please stay away from them.
I recommend Saucony / Brooks, and maybe Asics.

I switch between Asics and mizuno, both are good for running. Mizuno is actually very light weight. Saucony / Brooks should be good running shoes also but never try them.

Suggest you go and measure the profile of your feet to decide what shoes work best for you.
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
799
thoughts on Nike flyknits? They look pretty cool, the brands you mentioned aren't that aesthetically pleasing..

Ascics not aesthetically pleasing? Zhun boh

Unless you're the kind who goes for new balance kinda neon overload
 

striker22

Master Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
2,500
Reaction score
7
Lb53j0t.jpg


I had this done but in hindsight, I'd be happier with just the vibram sole. I think alot of people think this is good only because it is seldom offered here.

I will not be installing metal toe taps again.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
striker, can you explain your rationale so that we all can learn from your experience?

I have never added metal taps.
 

WakeUpDead

Junior Member
Joined
May 3, 2015
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Meermin just went helluva crazy with their new MTOs.

Anyone buying those please post it in the forum when they arrive!
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Very nice gold museum calf.. Tempted between this and vass...

If you are referring to the dilemma of choosing between Meermin and Vass.....
Please, I implore you, sincerely, save up a bit longer and go for Vass, if you are confident of your sizing.
In fact, even if I was not sure of sizing, I would still rather take a risk on Vass.
Vass, may on occasion, being prone to mistakes, but their goodwill / service and overall quality of shoes surely make for a good investment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top