Yen Exchange Rate Watch

bluetwinkle

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2015
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
15
I was wondering if the rates in Japan are lousier than if I were to change euros to sgd then withdraw from atm :s11:
About 6 years back, I passed by a couple of banks in Sapporo. The exchange rates shown were terrible. I will advise against changing money in Japan if nothing has changed.

If there is no waiver of service fee, I won't withdraw from ATM either.
 

nemo88

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2016
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
6
If there is no waiver of service fee, I won't withdraw from ATM either.

Actually if you can't change cash with money changers in Singapore, ATM exchange rates are very competitive with the right bank. Citibank has no fees and very competitive exchange rates, I kept my Citibank acct and ATM purely as a back-up option for my travel. A number of US-based bank cards also have no fees.

And honestly given how much the EUR has dropped against SGD in the past week, I think the OP is losing out no matter what. Double exchanges is never in your favour. So even a rather poor EUR>JPY cash exchange rate is unlikely to be very much worse than a EUR>SGD>JPY e-transfer.
 

Eddied

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
48,785
Reaction score
184
About 6 years back, I passed by a couple of banks in Sapporo. The exchange rates shown were terrible. I will advise against changing money in Japan if nothing has changed.

If there is no waiver of service fee, I won't withdraw from ATM either.
Actually if you can't change cash with money changers in Singapore, ATM exchange rates are very competitive with the right bank. Citibank has no fees and very competitive exchange rates, I kept my Citibank acct and ATM purely as a back-up option for my travel. A number of US-based bank cards also have no fees.

And honestly given how much the EUR has dropped against SGD in the past week, I think the OP is losing out no matter what. Double exchanges is never in your favour. So even a rather poor EUR>JPY cash exchange rate is unlikely to be very much worse than a EUR>SGD>JPY e-transfer.
Ah I see thanks, think I'll withdraw from atm

Sent from :bandit: using GAGT
 

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Messages
9,042
Reaction score
416
I withdrew from Citibank atm in my trip last year. $2.xx service charge for 10k yen only. not ex
 

nemo88

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2016
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
6
I withdrew from Citibank atm in my trip last year. $2.xx service charge for 10k yen only. not ex

Wah I thought Citibank no service charge? Has things changed? Or as in you only ended up paying about $2+ above spot rate for the withdrawal?
 

laeticia

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
1,996
Reaction score
126
Actually if you can't change cash with money changers in Singapore, ATM exchange rates are very competitive with the right bank. Citibank has no fees and very competitive exchange rates, I kept my Citibank acct and ATM purely as a back-up option for my travel. A number of US-based bank cards also have no fees.

And honestly given how much the EUR has dropped against SGD in the past week, I think the OP is losing out no matter what. Double exchanges is never in your favour. So even a rather poor EUR>JPY cash exchange rate is unlikely to be very much worse than a EUR>SGD>JPY e-transfer.
Citibank no longer has an atm presence in Japan due to the sale of their retail banking side to a Japanese bank. You can still use your atm to withdraw cash but you will have to pay the service charge

Sent from LG V10 using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top