YTD 2026 Networth tracking thread

hwmook

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2002
Messages
25,387
Reaction score
1,786
Beating the index is one thing. The question is how does your book behave when market is selling off ?
No point if you beat +10% when market is going up but end up losing by -30% when market is selling off.

Worst if you are in individual stocks which were once market favorites.
Post sell off, they become market lemons. So as the rest of market recovers, they remain down and you end up bagholding them. 😀

Actually you just have to make sure your portfolio do well over the long term, market up and down are just noise.
 

d5dude

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
14,307
Reaction score
5,672
Using your own definition you define what is crap. Likewise the other party uses their own definition and define you as crap. So does this in any way make you feel you are right about crap and others are wrong?

For the record I never say index funds ETFs are wrong. I am saying remove index as a benchmark is by itself an investment strategy but maybe to index worshippers this is crap and that is their own view definitely not representing everyone.

"Crap" is when a person put in more effort/time, take more risks but obtain lower than index fund returns. Risk, returns and time are all objective measures that can be quantified. This is what the discussions are about.

Obviously everyone has the freedom to do what they want with their money, nobody is going to stop anyone from trading 24/7 only to do worse than indexing, but we can certainly offer critique.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,553
Reaction score
3,237
"Crap" is when a person put in more effort/time, take more risks but obtain lower than index fund returns. Risk, returns and time are all objective measures that can be quantified. This is what the discussions are about.

Obviously everyone has the freedom to do what they want with their money, nobody is going to stop anyone from trading 24/7 only to do worse than indexing, but we can certainly offer critique.
Noted on your view. To me reference to index for comparison is crap. Yes we are on different views indeed.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,553
Reaction score
3,237
Indexing is the benchmark because it requires the least effort. How is it crap?

It's crap bcos he don't understand it 🤣

I guess we hold different views. I accepted you all views but yet can sense you all don't and keep referencing index. Index worshippers are hardcore indeed. Will move on.
 

trave1er

Member
Joined
May 28, 2025
Messages
105
Reaction score
75
... Buying the index is one of the simplest ways to invest. The good: no need to read financial reports, consider the interest rate direction, keep up with current affairs. It's a valid choice for those who are strapped for time. It is one of the lowest effort ways to invest.

The bad thing about buying the index, is that by definition your portfolio will never perform better than the index does. Also I personally find it a turn-off because of the bunches of people on Reddit SGFI who simply cannot (or choose not to) believe that it's possible to beat index returns.

Stock picking (for example) doesn't just require require time, it also requires effort, and humility to learn. For example what is "passenger load factor"? I had to read up on that when thinking about whether to dip my toes into aviation stocks. How come Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, and even the SGX website can report slightly different financial metrics for the same stock? I still don't know the answer to that.

I don't buy the index myself. But I also cannot understand why one would think that index returns aren't useful as a basic reference point.

One can decide that 5% returns (more than inflation rate) is good enough. But if buying the index will have given you more than 5%, why not consider that option?
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,553
Reaction score
3,237
One can decide that 5% returns (more than inflation rate) is good enough. But if buying the index will have given you more than 5%, why not consider that option?
It can happen the reverse too. E.g I set myself 10% triple of inflation rate of 3% and maybe this magic number 10 beat the index but I don't want to know nor care. The problem when you care of the index is when it influence you what number to set. So if say index is 5% then it only slightly beat inflation 3% not safe for me
 

d5dude

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
14,307
Reaction score
5,672
I guess we hold different views. I accepted you all views but yet can sense you all don't and keep referencing index. Index worshippers are hardcore indeed. Will move on.

This is not about different views or "worshipping" any method of investing, its about establishing a meaningful evaluation of your investment strategy.

I guess some people simply dun want to know if they are wasting their time on something that they are not really good at...
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,553
Reaction score
3,237
This is not about different views or "worshipping" any method of investing, its about establishing a meaningful evaluation of your investment strategy.

I guess some people simply dun want to know if they are wasting their time on something that they are not really good at...
I don't have to explain since I have previously shared my screenshot of 2 brokers. I hold on to my investment strategy. You can pretend not to see since it does not have any index benchmarking concept. But I am showing other readers index is not the holy grail in investing. There exist something called total returns.
 

d5dude

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
14,307
Reaction score
5,672
I don't have to explain since I have previously shared my screenshot of 2 brokers. I hold on to my investment strategy.

Nobody said anything about indexing being the holy grail.

You can pretend not to see since it does not have any index benchmarking concept. But I am showing other readers index is not the holy grail in investing. There exist something called total returns.

Yea I know what total return is. Are your total returns comparable to just plain indexing? Congratulations if you are doing better, if not then consider doing something else with your money...
 

PrincessBunny

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2024
Messages
37
Reaction score
62
I don't have to explain since I have previously shared my screenshot of 2 brokers. I hold on to my investment strategy. You can pretend not to see since it does not have any index benchmarking concept. But I am showing other readers index is not the holy grail in investing. There exist something called total returns.
I have ZERO investment in any index ETFs in my portfolio, so I'm not an index worshipper.

My CAGR since I started investing is around 24.9%. Is this good? on what basis?
Going by your 10% target, this is very good indeed. However assuming I have a 25% target, this is bad.

For the general public, your target is irrelevant to them.
Index return serves as a basis for a neutral and commonly agreed benchmark for everyone, other than you, to compare the returns against.
 

CrashWire

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2000
Messages
5,950
Reaction score
811
... Buying the index is one of the simplest ways to invest. The good: no need to read financial reports, consider the interest rate direction, keep up with current affairs. It's a valid choice for those who are strapped for time. It is one of the lowest effort ways to invest.

The bad thing about buying the index, is that by definition your portfolio will never perform better than the index does. Also I personally find it a turn-off because of the bunches of people on Reddit SGFI who simply cannot (or choose not to) believe that it's possible to beat index returns.

Nobody said anything about indexing being the holy grail.

I think the "buy the index" or Bogleheads methodology is for people who don't want to think too hard, just want their investments to beat inflation, and focus on living life instead of minmaxing investment.
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,955
Reaction score
40,448
I think the "buy the index" or Bogleheads methodology is for people who don't want to think too hard, just want their investments to beat inflation, and focus on living life instead of minmaxing investment.
I buy index because :
- I know I'm not great at stock pick
- It won't go to zero
- I don't have to worry about over weighing into any stock
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,553
Reaction score
3,237
I think the "buy the index" or Bogleheads methodology is for people who don't want to think too hard, just want their investments to beat inflation, and focus on living life instead of minmaxing investment.
For above in bold you don't need index also. Say inflation is 3% then you set your number to beat it no need reference any index and stress yourself. E.g I set 10% triple times buffer should be safe
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,077
I buy index because :
- I know I'm not great at stock pick
- It won't go to zero
- I don't have to worry about over weighing into any stock

I also buy index funds because its really hard to outperform S&P500.
On the other hand, I try to reduce overconcentration on tech by adding VHYD and WQDV ETFs to supplement my VWRD/VUSD holdings. VHYD/WQDV also won't go to zero and their composition adds to portfolio diversification.

Since I am already FI and any additional funds I get is just 'extra', I can set aside some money to do stock picking to generate more dividends and also to learn stock investing and for entertainment With NKE and NVO being my big losers, its not going so well though overall I'm still green YTD. 😅
 

wutawa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2003
Messages
13,355
Reaction score
4,373
I consider myself as an index fund supporter. all my index etf are s&p500. no sti, no gold index, nor other indices
my stocks are all us, mainly tech. I am keeping them because I see their potential.
my bonds are ssb and income ut. they are in sgd and give cash payouts. yes, their returns are lower than s&p but they are protected from FX and generate regular income.
I keep very little cash for my daily expenses.

Screenshot-2026-06-20-14-05-25-700-com-google-android-apps-docs-editors-sheets-edit.jpg
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top