To me ah, doesn't hurt to have a bit more RAM for future proofing sake. For me it's probably enough, cause I'm not a heavy apps user and normally don't install too many apps on my phone. I am also that guy that goes into app settings and manually set app restrictions like not letting them run in the background or use background data. I'm a stickler for such things. Which was why I loved using iOS last time since they have more granular controls ironically. But since then Google has caught up of course.
But regular consumers likely won't be that careful. They'll just install whatever they need. So a little more RAM definitely doesn't hurt, maybe other than a bit more battery drain?
But anyway, I think it's something that can be fixed with a software update. Considering I've seen other modern phones with 4GB RAM not facing the same issues that some people said they are facing. But a little extra headroom doesn't hurt man.
iOS typically requires less RAM compared to Android to perform as well in terms of retaining apps in a saved state. So to me a little headroom doesn't hurt, considering they are planning to keep providing software updates for 3 years.
Looking at how even Apple has upgraded the RAM to 4Gb for their flagship device, it feels like Apple is selling a phone that is meant to be more future proof. More processing power than is needed, more RAM than is needed. Whereas it feels like Google is selling a phone that is meant to be good at this point in time only, and not planning too far ahead. Just my 0.2 cents.