Advice on Penang

Hairyworm

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2001
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
3
Just got back from Penang.

I took uber everywhere I go. I highly recommend that. Its so much cheaper than normal taxi.

For e.g. typical ride from airport to my apartment is RM45. Uber is only RM15.
 

addicted-addiction

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
0
Just got back from Penang.

I took uber everywhere I go. I highly recommend that. Its so much cheaper than normal taxi.

For e.g. typical ride from airport to my apartment is RM45. Uber is only RM15.

Does uber there have many vehicles/drivers?

I tried grabtaxi the last time I was in Penang(2015 Apr) and it was pretty easy to get a cab as they had many drivers.
 

|XterA|

Master Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
2,928
Reaction score
30
Just got back from Penang.

I took uber everywhere I go. I highly recommend that. Its so much cheaper than normal taxi.

For e.g. typical ride from airport to my apartment is RM45. Uber is only RM15.

Where's your apt at? Georgetown? I might consider take uber than rent a car then.
 

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
38,326
Reaction score
22
Just got back from Penang.

I took uber everywhere I go. I highly recommend that. Its so much cheaper than normal taxi.

For e.g. typical ride from airport to my apartment is RM45. Uber is only RM15.

Safe to take Uber there ?
 

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
38,326
Reaction score
22
Booked Straits Quay Marina Suites.

Not sure how man units of suites they have there but got different operators who run different condotels.

SQ Marina Suites have 50 units but all non sea facing and all are one bedroom studio suites that can sleep up to 5.

Price is cheapest among all SQ Suites available, usually between 88 to 96 SGD per night before tax on Agoda.

Profolio , the other major operater have sea facing units but at around double the price for 2 bedroom units.
 

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
38,326
Reaction score
22
Stayed 2 nights at Straits Quay Marina Suits.

They have a total of 50 units but all standard non sea view one bed room units which can sleep up to 5.

Our bedroom got 2 big single beds with one smaller single beds and there is a double bed in the living room area.

Room is very clean with parquet flooring instead of carpet.

Quite well equipped kitchenette , can cook instant noodles etc no problem.

Got 2 bathrooms but only one with bathtub.

Security quite good, need key card to enter lift lobby and operate lift to go up. But open and close door with key.

Got Pool, gym, tennis court

For SGD88 per night not bad lah
 

Clock

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,616
Reaction score
272
how do you pay for uber and grabtaxi ??? you use the singapore account and pay them in USD? Or the system will convert to RM and pay them ?
 

palmpda

Suspended
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
21
Use CC is convenient but have risks.

Some have advised to use the cash option.

how do you pay for uber and grabtaxi ??? you use the singapore account and pay them in USD? Or the system will convert to RM and pay them ?
 

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
34,796
Reaction score
8,678
May i ask

if i am going for a short 4 d 3 n trip roughly how much to bring?

exclude hotel n tix.

first time going penang and dono the agar agar spending.

Mostly makan, minor shopping and abit a night of drinking at their local club or bars =)
 

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
May i ask

if i am going for a short 4 d 3 n trip roughly how much to bring?

exclude hotel n tix.

first time going penang and dono the agar agar spending.

Mostly makan, minor shopping and abit a night of drinking at their local club or bars =)

I had SGD200 for a 4D3N, all 3 meals in, some starbucks and some Baskin Robbins, some 土产 for office, and I think had around SGD50 left at the end of the trip.
Imagine a plate of food like wanton noodles, fried kway teow by the roadside stalls around about MYR4-5. Or Kim Gary in the shopping mall is the "same price" in Singapore, say a porkchop rice is SGD18, they around around that price but in MYR.
 

redisthenewgreen

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Is public transport easy?
Or recommended to hire a driver for the day?

Cos we're travelling in a group of 6... uber/grab need 2cars right.
 

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
34,796
Reaction score
8,678
I had SGD200 for a 4D3N, all 3 meals in, some starbucks and some Baskin Robbins, some 土产 for office, and I think had around SGD50 left at the end of the trip.
Imagine a plate of food like wanton noodles, fried kway teow by the roadside stalls around about MYR4-5. Or Kim Gary in the shopping mall is the "same price" in Singapore, say a porkchop rice is SGD18, they around around that price but in MYR.

Thx. sounds like shiok man.

think i change 300 ldiat go wack :D
 

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
Is public transport easy?
Or recommended to hire a driver for the day?

Cos we're travelling in a group of 6... uber/grab need 2cars right.
Any kids or elderly in the group? If don't have, I advise you take their bus or taxi bah. Not too difficult. But if you really need to hire a driver, why don't consider a mpv?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 2 using GAGT
 

travellover

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
342
Reaction score
1
Went Penang during April for a very short trip (3d2n). Stayed at Mango Tree Place- hideaway @ Georgetown which is excellent! (only con : boutique shophouse hotel with only 4 rooms and 1 suit available, suit mostly for couple)

I spend about SGD200 which include transport, meals and shopping.

I book this driver for airport to hotel (RM45), hotel to airport (RM45), one day tour (10 hrs at RM260) who is a Chinese speaking friendly uncle.
Email : homiedelightscar@gmail.com
Contact person : Ivan Lim (LYK)
Contact No: +65-83987310 (Whatsapp, Wechat)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top