Agoda Payments.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
For expedia, will paying in sgd incur dcc? Which currency to pay in is best?

Using cimb mastercard and sc spree in 2 bookings. Thanks.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For expedia, will paying in sgd incur dcc? Which currency to pay in is best?

Using cimb mastercard and sc spree in 2 bookings. Thanks.

Normally pay in sgd, no dcc ...
to use their promo, u have to use specific sites by the banks ...

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to use their promo, u have to use specific sites by the banks ...

... the days of stacking ShopBack cashback & CC promo code for Agoda & Expedia are gone ... :(

I now realised that the OTAs & SB have re-configured the reservation workflow

eg) now once SB activated, it forces you out of the Bank-OTA website ... it was not like that previously

my last stack was a Agoda booking made in Sep 2018 (for Apr 2019 stay)

now just use the Bank-OTA site for 10%, can skip ShopBack altogether ;)

my last time using CIMB-Expedia 10% code (CIMBEXP10) + 10% CC rebate

coranyge

Reaction score
Those who are using Shopback via Agoda take note.

Shopback was having 11% upsized cashback for Agoda few days ago. But the price was jacked-up if you try to book the hotel via Shopback link. Mine was about $700. In contrast when I don't use Shopback link and used Tripadvisor/Trivago etc. links instead to access Agoda, the price reflected was about $630.

So do be careful and do your homework before booking via shopback links.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those who are using Shopback via Agoda take note.

Shopback was having 11% upsized cashback for Agoda few days ago. But the price was jacked-up if you try to book the hotel via Shopback link. Mine was about $700. In contrast when I don't use Shopback link and used Tripadvisor/Trivago etc. links instead to access Agoda, the price reflected was about $630.

So do be careful and do your homework before booking via shopback links.

currently is back to 6%.
From 11% to 8% to the normal 6%

Yup, done few testing, the price for my 3n stay was about $15+ to $20+ difference, my hotel stay is about $150+ ... if using shopback link, I get $9 (6%) cashback after (duno how many months later), but I am paying $15 to $20+ more ...

Plus, you wont be able to use agoda discount coupons if you are using shopback link :)

In summary, if u wanna use agoda discount coupons or u wanna get lower price from agoda, dont use shopback link ...

Santorini

Reaction score
In the agoda website there is an option to choose currency at the top right of the page. But not sure if works though got never tried before but you can test it out and see.

I recently got stung by the Agoda currency conversion and did some research. Sharing my findings here.

For Agoda, it IS possible to pay in the property currency. (e.g get charged in JPY in the case of a hotel in Japan). Simply change the display currency to the property currency. (Top right of page) As you finalize the booking, after you enter your credit card number, a drop down box will appear allowing you to select the currency to be charged. In this way, your credit card will handle the currency conversion.

The above will apply even for the Agoda Pay Later bookings. So the real issue is that the display currency in Agoda plays a crucial factor in determining the ability to choose the currency to be charged. Most unsuspecting tourists will change the display currency to their home currency, and if they also choose the option to pay later, this then kicks in Agoda's dirty trick....Apply an fx rate 5% away from the Bloomberg rate, on payment date.

Now contrast this with Booking.com. The display currency here is working as the name suggests, it is purely for display only. The booking screen clearly states you will be billed in the property currency, so it does not matter which display currency you choose.

So there you have it. Both booking portals are actually under the same parent company (Booking Holdings). But effectively Booking.com is the good guy, Agoda.com is the bad guy

Alibeckham

Reaction score
can we still get shopback cash rebate if we apply agodaCash into the agoda booking? anyone here got experience?

anybody able to apply the agodacash back, if the booking already done? forget to apply the silly agodacash in my booking

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can we still get shopback cash rebate if we apply agodaCash into the agoda booking? anyone here got experience?

anybody able to apply the agodacash back, if the booking already done? forget to apply the silly agodacash in my booking

my understanding is that you would still get back cashback.
however, do check the cashback given to you ...

For example, my agoda booking is $170.53
However, based on 8%, the amount given to me was $8.08.

In the end, email shopback.
Paid amount: USD 97.44 / SGD 134.75
Cashback rate: 8%
Cashback earn: SGD 10.78

They excluded the taxes in the booking.

Do compare the price using other websites vs shopback.
most of the times, price reflected on shopback agoda is higher. For example, if the rebate is 8%, their price is higher than 8% rebate. So it doesnt make sense to use shopback in this case.

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea cheapest way normally is link through tripadvisor than apply whatever coupons you have in agoda

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea cheapest way normally is link through tripadvisor than apply whatever coupons you have in agoda

Normally would use phone to book ...
tripadvisor link to the app, then apply discount ... if use desktop think cant apply discount if link from tripadvisor ...

Alibeckham

Reaction score
my understanding is that you would still get back cashback.
however, do check the cashback given to you ...

For example, my agoda booking is $170.53
However, based on 8%, the amount given to me was $8.08.

In the end, email shopback.
Paid amount: USD 97.44 / SGD 134.75
Cashback rate: 8%
Cashback earn: SGD 10.78

They excluded the taxes in the booking.

Do compare the price using other websites vs shopback.
most of the times, price reflected on shopback agoda is higher. For example, if the rebate is 8%, their price is higher than 8% rebate. So it doesnt make sense to use shopback in this case.

you are right. rebates is still given by shopback after using agodacash.:D

dibromoethene

Reaction score
I

For Agoda, it IS possible to pay in the property currency. (e.g get charged in JPY in the case of a hotel in Japan). Simply change the display currency to the property currency. (Top right of page) As you finalize the booking, after you enter your credit card number, a drop down box will appear allowing you to select the currency to be charged. In this way, your credit card will handle the currency conversion.

Must to be careful not to select a charge currency different from the display currency (eg. display in SGD, pay in JPY for a japanese hotel).

Otherwise be prepared to pay the 5% :mad:

weekaykee

Reaction score
Must to be careful not to select a charge currency different from the display currency (eg. display in SGD, pay in JPY for a japanese hotel).

Otherwise be prepared to pay the 5% :mad:
Based on my experience the exchange rate was almost 10% more than bank rate. I protested and they refunded most of it.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best to pay now, not pay later
else you would be charged the hotel's currency.

booked japan hotel before, choose pay later
charged in jpy, convert to sgd, paid about 10+ more in the end ...

this goes for the rest of the hotels too
even thought you have chosen sgd as the payment, if u have chosen "pay later" you would be charged based on that hotel's currency rate. + bank exchange rate

Alibeckham

Reaction score
i just check my CC bill for my hotel booking.. i verified with the agoda E-receipt and both amount doesnt tally. when i paid in agoda, it was shown charged $1,749.20 (SGD), but the CC bill came out to be $1766.69 (SGD)..

verified with Bank, and below is their response:

Please be advised that Visa / MasterCard will impose the 1% fee when you do a transaction at a local merchant that routes its payment processing through an overseas intermediary or a merchant that is registered by its acquiring bank (the Acquirer) as having been acquired overseas, regardless of where the merchant is actually located.

In conclusion: if you using visa/master on agoda, you will need to consider the 1% extra, as agoda payment is routed oversea.. where else for expedia, they seems to be charge locally, hence never had this kinda of charges before.. So, do take note..

Last edited:

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just check my CC bill for my hotel booking.. i verified with the agoda E-receipt and both amount doesnt tally. when i paid in agoda, it was shown charged $1,749.20 (SGD), but the CC bill came out to be $1766.69 (SGD), not very transparent..

btw, the above transaction is "PAY NOW"

You have to check with agoda .
since only they know what is happening ...
they would have a better over view of your bookings with them ...

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just check my CC bill for my hotel booking.. i verified with the agoda E-receipt and both amount doesnt tally. when i paid in agoda, it was shown charged $1,749.20 (SGD), but the CC bill came out to be $1766.69 (SGD), not very transparent..

btw, the above transaction is "PAY NOW"
The 1% extra is due to DCC charged by the bank or mc/visa, can't recall. You can read up.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.