Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the end Chromecast 2020 with Google TV is the new king at sub S$100 (US$50). Good thing is that it also forces Mi Box S to go towards lower cost.

Comparison of Chromecast 2020, Amazon FireTV Stick 4k and TiVo Streaming 4k. Take note for Singapore context, Mi Box S and Chromecast 2020 are better than Amazon FireTV Stick 4k and Tivo Streaming 4k (both kind of a bit locked to US region).

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Lon.TV Amazon FireTV Stick 2020 and FireTV Stick Lite review. 1080p only. Competitors include Mi TV Stick 1080p and Roku Stick 1080p, and also the higher end Amazon FireTV Stick 4k since it can have very steep discount during Thanksgiving holiday time.

In Singapore context, Mi TV Stick 1080p is still a better buy compared to Amazon FireTV Stick 2020.

Lon.TV review of Mi TV Stick 1080p.

Last edited:

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why some people like to send out fake info.

ubox's ubtv, ublive, ubvod now can run with default network settings, i.e don't have to change DNS.

a few months ago, there was a need, but it is quite easy to do it, just run an app from the app market, noobs can do it.
I bought one, due to DNS, and it wasn't smooth playing Sky Sports F1 during race, so I sold it off.
and used EVPad.
App store DNS cannot work, got to manually change DNS then.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wish to record some programmes from the android TV box.

Anyone of u bought a hdmi capture device? Are those workable? I think I also want one that has hdmi pass-through, so that the hdmi can still be connected to the TV for viewing.

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not not see the reason how one newbie can install the apps in a generic S905X3 box but not able to change DNS on a Ubox.

But yes it is good to learn to install apps, then no need to depend on preloaded boxes like Ubox.

BTW, why not A95X? It is the same generic no brand box as the others like X96 and H96, etc. IMHO, all of them are not so suitable to newbies because the quality may vary from batch to batch.

I bought A95X twice, both died in days, So no more A95X for me

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation of air mouse with keyboard for mibox s?

If you do not mind paying a bit more, Minix Neo A2 Lite or A2 is not bad.

Some people use things like Logitech K400 wireless keyboard and touchpad.

I use full size computer keyboard/mouse.

Last edited:

hwanloon

Reaction score
If you do not mind paying a bit more, Minix Neo A2 Lite or A2 is not bad.

Some people use things likeLogitech K400 wireless keyboard and touchpad.

I use full size computer keyboard/mouse.
Tks for the recommendation.

hotdude

Reaction score
streaming box or stick

No perfect box. Starhub TV+ box is probably the only legitimate "preloaded" Android TV box in the local market.

If you go with not legitimate preloaded boxes, then probably Ubox is the only one to go.

Hi Xiaofan,

Can help recommend a cheapest streaming box or stick - purpose is to watch Netflix - to plug into a dumb TV, that's all.

Thank you in advance!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

Can help recommend a cheapest streaming box or stick - purpose is to watch Netflix - to plug into a dumb TV, that's all.

Thank you in advance!

Mi Box S.

If you need Netflix HD, you need a certified box.

Average_Guy

Reaction score
hi sifus, thinking of getting evpad for myself.. look through some comments here say buay pai for preloaded box..
check shopee got different versions and different prices..

my questions is, is the latest versions like evpad 5P/5S better? should i just go buy the basic 3S? or pro/plus better?

thanks in advance :)

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi sifus, thinking of getting evpad for myself.. look through some comments here say buay pai for preloaded box..

my questions is, is the latest versions like evpad 5P/5S better? should i just go buy the basic 3S? or pro/plus better?

heard that recently has a kot of problems.

if you dont mind the problems, get the cheapest will do.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Recent feedbacks are not so good, especially for 5S/5P. If you still want to buy, then probably the cheapest 3S is the way to go.

You may want to consider UBox better for preloaded box as of now.

eauyong

Reaction score
This combo wired Ethernet RJ45 LAN (10/100/1000) set works very well with my Xiaomi Mi tv box S (MDZ-22-AB).
Have a look!

KEBIDU Wired USB 3.0 To Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 LAN (10/100/1000) Mbps Net
work Adapter Ethernet Network Card For PC Wholesales.
HTB1GfBUazDuK1RjSszdq6xGLpXao.jpg

Universal Mini 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub High Speed Data Transfer Splitter Box Adapter
For MacBook Pro PC Laptop Multi-port USB Hub.
H82bcea41ca0c4791ad166aadce41525cG.jpg

1) KEBIDU Wired USB 3.0 To Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 LAN (10/100/1000) Mbps Net
work Adapter Ethernet Network Card For PC Wholesales My cost US$3.78

2) Universal Mini 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub High Speed Data Transfer Splitter Box Adapter
For MacBook Pro PC Laptop Multi-port USB Hub My cost US$1.85

Total US$5.63 (S$7.90) per set of 2 items. :)

-

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
morning, when you mean problems, can they be solved with a reset? thanks for reply bro

No. Problem with the servers and the new apps on the 5S/5P.

EVpad servers were seized by Chinese authority a few months ago. They are in the recovery stage.

As for new apps in 5S/5P, it will probably take sometimes to get stable.

All in all, it is still okay to buy as long as your lower the expectations of preloaded boxes (including Ubox). Get the cheapest 3S or 3S MY. Avoid old generation device like EVpad Pro or EVPad Plus (not the same as 3 Plus). It is also okay if you want to pay a bit more to get 3 Plus if you want 5GHz WiFi.

5S is supposed to be a relatively good buy if you need 5GHz wifi among EVpad models but probably you have to wait for the apps to be stable.

Or you can consider UPro S (Ubox Gen 7) which is a bit more expensive (similar to 3 Plus).

Last edited:

Average_Guy

Reaction score
No. Problem with the servers and the new apps on the 5S/5P.

EVpad servers were seized by Chinese authority a few months ago. They are in the recovery stage.

As for new apps in 5S/5P, it will probably take sometimes to get stable.

All in all, it is still okay to buy as long as your lower the expectations of preloaded boxes (including Ubox). Get the cheapest 3S or 3S MY. Avoid old generation device like EVpad Pro or EVPad Plus (not the same as 3 Plus). It is also okay if you want to pay a bit more to get 3 Plus if you want 5GHz WiFi.

5S is supposed to be a relatively good buy if you need 5GHz wifi among EVpad models but probably you have to wait for the apps to be stable.

Or you can consider UPro S (Ubox Gen 7) which is a bit more expensive (similar to 3 Plus).

morning, thanks for the really detailed reply bro :)

saw ppl saying DNS need to 动手脚 if buy Ubox.. think i will consider between evpad 3S and 3plus..

thank you :)

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
morning, thanks for the really detailed reply bro :)

saw ppl saying DNS need to 动手脚 if buy Ubox.. think i will consider between evpad 3S and 3plus..

thank you :)

don't believe in whatever that guy is talking. you will regret if you do

ubox is better and dont have so many problems compared to evpad.

however, the better way is to get mibox s and load the apps youself. cheap, good and relatively problem free

Last edited:

Average_Guy

Reaction score
however, the better way is to get mibox s and load the apps youself. cheap, good and relatively problem free

for apps you mention for mibox s, any websites with a list of recommended apps? mostly wanna find cooking channels for ah ma and soccer/movie channels..

is it after loading all the apps, etc can also mirror the channels of evpad/ubox?

hard to find good reviews on the mentioned boxes.. all youtube channels like kena sponsered to say good things one.. lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.