Android TV Box

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
I bought a Mi TV Stick, so far so good.

However the TV stick appears to overheat very quickly.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought a Mi TV Stick, so far so good.

However the TV stick appears to overheat very quickly.

make sure that the plastic protection sheet is removed.

If you sideload app, go to app's setting to make sure that it is not using software decoding.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just cancelled my StarHub TV as it costs me a bomb.
Looking to purchase a tv box.
I have a Panasonic smart tv with Netflix app on it.

Looking through the different threads, I conclude that Unblock tech (ubox) is only worth it if I wanna watch live channels for free:
1) Ubox changes its channels regularly though. will I get TVB, HBO, Fox?
2) are there better tv boxes which allows me to watch live channels for free?

Ubox also have the streaming section which taps into streaming sites.
1) if I just want streaming sites only, then mi box S is a much cheaper option. Is that true?

Thanks in advance

1. should be, I have an Ubox gen3 for many years and it has these channels.

2. I think ubox is the best in terms of customer support and reliability. Many other boxes are run by fly-by-night operators.

ubox has its own VOD servers, it only accepts connection from ubox.

for other boxes, it is not difficult to find other good VOD apps.

If you want to buy ubox, I suggest not to buy the latest (i.e expensive), buy gen3/gen4 if possible. You will be getting the same live tv/VOD contents.

machoguy02

Reaction score
1. should be, I have an Ubox gen3 for many years and it has these channels.

2. I think ubox is the best in terms of customer support and reliability. Many other boxes are run by fly-by-night operators.

ubox has its own VOD servers, it only accepts connection from ubox.

for other boxes, it is not difficult to find other good VOD apps.

If you want to buy ubox, I suggest not to buy the latest (i.e expensive), buy gen3/gen4 if possible. You will be getting the same live tv/VOD contents.

Thanks Greg for this.
Ball park figures on Shopee before discount:
mi box s $80 vs ubox 7gen $198 (can’t find reliable seller reviews for ubox 3/4), I’m paying slightly more (2x to be exact) for the convenience of not needing to download VOD apps myself. Will think about it and buy one soon!

machoguy02

Reaction score
all in my option,

Mibox 4k would the be cheaper way to go with support for most apps.

Chomecast 2020 4k if u are feeling richer with even more support.

ubox is kind of the lazy way to go with most of the app working and installed already.

if u want drive auto go for ubox if u want to drive manual go for chomecast 2020 4k.

:s22:

Thanks deepblue!
Still deciding if I wanna go manual as I’m not too familiar with how these android boxes work (first time buying). Have always depended on StarHub but it’s getting really too expensive!

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks deepblue!
Still deciding if I wanna go manual as I’m not too familiar with how these android boxes work (first time buying). Have always depended on StarHub but it’s getting really too expensive!

well i also dont know android or android box too coz i have all along been a apple user. i been learning stuff the hard way. :s22:

ksteosin

Reaction score
Bought a new Mi TV Stick, need mouse cursor to close ads. Please recommend the brand and model of bluetooth to buy. Or how to use android phone as air mouse? Thanks.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please advise, why better to delete the apps that need mouse cursor? Thanks.

mi tv stick is using android tv os, so it is better to use apps that is compatible to android tv os, these apps need only the remote control to operate.

nowadays, there are plenty of android tv os app, you can easier find one to replace your existing apps.

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks deepblue!

If got the $$$ , need the processing power to run Plex , and have compatibility with dolby vision , atmos etc esp with apps like Netflix get the latest Shield TV.

nvidia-shield-tv-pro-og-image-1200x630.jpg

If budget, but want something newer for streaming and supports atmos / dd+ / dolby vision etc but dun want to spend a bomb and dun need the processing power then Google TV

KhUffQdYacouUSmNsVJNFY.jpg

If budget ++, dun need much processing power, just for simple streaming dun care about dd+ or atmos etc, the old Mibox S is fine as long as dun overload them with apps. I still have one running for > 2+ yrs in kids room, Netflix & Disney runs just fine. Disney seems to load up slow

Thanks Greg for this.
Ball park figures on Shopee before discount:
mi box s $80 vs ubox 7gen $198 (can’t find reliable seller reviews for ubox 3/4), I’m paying slightly more (2x to be exact) for the convenience of not needing to download VOD apps myself. Will think about it and buy one soon!

Ubox device will not be able to support ur netflix as well as the other boxes. but it is expensive for other reasons ..

Last edited:

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may i ask a question

I am currently using a koro box as my dad watches those china channel.

May i know is there any box in the market with this chin channel or international channel pre loaded in already?

TIA =)

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may i ask a question

I am currently using a koro box as my dad watches those china channel.

May i know is there any box in the market with this chin channel or international channel pre loaded in already?

TIA =)

if you are only interested in china channel, can buy any cheap box (possible to get with less than $20), and install free iptv apps.

there are many apps with free china channels.

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are only interested in china channel, can buy any cheap box (possible to get with less than $20), and install free iptv apps.

there are many apps with free china channels.
Kum sia. But on app store i don see it. Need load apk?

TIA

Sent from HUAWEI LYA-L29 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.