Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamlenon

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
38,822
Reaction score
3
how to tell if a foldie bike need to remove accessories from handlebar when folded?
 

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
84,917
Reaction score
2,910
Brought a ControlTech 40.5mm QR clamp for the seatpost(Tern Verge P9)..

Cant seems to be able to mount it on direct..Anyone has any idea??
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
how to tell if a foldie bike need to remove accessories from handlebar when folded?

What is your folding bike brand and model?

Need to look at clearance off the ground, gap between the folded wheels, etc. I do have some experience with Tern Link C7, Link/Verge, and Brompton.. so maybe I can offer you some advice. ;)
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Brought a ControlTech 40.5mm QR clamp for the seatpost(Tern Verge P9)..

Cant seems to be able to mount it on direct..Anyone has any idea??

Tern seatpost inner diameter is 33.9mm. You sure it can tighten all the way to 33.9mm?
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Hello guys,

I am wonder if I should buy a new bike or "do up" my old bike. I have 2 very old mountain bikes, Diamondback Response Sport - year 2000 and a Diamondback Ascent 1.0 - year 1997. Any advise?

My intention is to use them for commute. I find that these 2 bikes are very heavy, even if it is just for commuting.

Thanks.

If you intend to commute 4-5km and not in a hurry, I actually thought its perfectly fine. Unless, of course, you feel that spending money on upgrading and making your commute faster by 1-2min is worth it....
 

nightingelf

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
345
Reaction score
0
@Sadisticnoob
Hmm, not sure which parts I would need to change though. I am kinda considering the frame.

@IronMac
Actually they are quite heavy. I saw and had a feel of weight for the Aleoca road bike that cost about SGD 350. They felt rather significantly lighter than the bikes I currently have.

@erwinrommel
I am actually thinking about 10km+
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
@Sadisticnoob
Hmm, not sure which parts I would need to change though. I am kinda considering the frame.

@IronMac
Actually they are quite heavy. I saw and had a feel of weight for the Aleoca road bike that cost about SGD 350. They felt rather significantly lighter than the bikes I currently have.

@erwinrommel
I am actually thinking about 10km+

First of all, you are comparing road bike to mountain bike, of course the road bike will be much lighter!!!

Second, if you were thinking of keeping the mtb frame and getting new parts, I don't think it will be worth the hassle. You can get the newer mtb you have tuned up/cleaned up and see how that works for the commute.

Third, you have to think about where you are going to put the bike if you commute. Guaranteed that a newish, fancy road bike will be stolen or damaged if left outside.
 

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
84,917
Reaction score
2,910
Tern seatpost inner diameter is 33.9mm. You sure it can tighten all the way to 33.9mm?

Well, brought it from a guy who sold it together with a ct 33.9mm seatpost and it was previously use on a tern :s22:

Edit: swop lever over to stock clamp, mod the locking nut slightly and done :s13:
 
Last edited:

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
@Sadisticnoob
Hmm, not sure which parts I would need to change though. I am kinda considering the frame.

@IronMac
Actually they are quite heavy. I saw and had a feel of weight for the Aleoca road bike that cost about SGD 350. They felt rather significantly lighter than the bikes I currently have.

@erwinrommel
I am actually thinking about 10km+

depends on where you are commuting and via what method. and of course the security of your location.

To school, i normally ride my road bike, around 19.5km cause got security and not much people know where the bike parking lots are.

now working, i use a 400 sgd mini velo to commute cause its in a industrial area.
 

nwh_sg

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2001
Messages
2,193
Reaction score
6
If the pad still quite thick, you can try some various techniques available online before decommissioning them.

Thanks for your advice. This morning I used alcohol to clean the discs and it worked. The front disc squeaking sound is completely gone, the rear disc squeaking sound is reduced by about 90% which I think I can bear with it :)
 

J O K E R

Master Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
3,590
Reaction score
231
Just got my bike and planning to cycle to Yishun dam via Mandai road.

Is there any danger I should be aware when cycling from Sungei kadut > Mandai road > Mandai ave > Yishun ave 1
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
Just got my bike and planning to cycle to Yishun dam via Mandai road.

Is there any danger I should be aware when cycling from Sungei kadut > Mandai road > Mandai ave > Yishun ave 1
theres a pcn there along mandai road so should be fine
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Just got my bike and planning to cycle to Yishun dam via Mandai road.

Is there any danger I should be aware when cycling from Sungei kadut > Mandai road > Mandai ave > Yishun ave 1

Not much danger.

Just "some" slopes to climb. =:p
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Just got my bike and planning to cycle to Yishun dam via Mandai road.

Is there any danger I should be aware when cycling from Sungei kadut > Mandai road > Mandai ave > Yishun ave 1

Are you thinking of cycling back? It's quite a hill.

There is a PCN but it's known to be dangerous. Water accumulates in puddles and moss/algae grows so it can be very slippery.. I also know someone who fell off the curb because parts were not well lit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top