Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Bee

Banned
Joined
Jan 31, 2013
Messages
43,120
Reaction score
2
U ok? Did his car graze u?

Actually this is not friendly fire already. He shout FO, what kind of cyclist friendly ppl will do that?

nah no contact, managed to swerve away. usually i would react extreme violent when i caught him at the lights, but his sticker saved him i guess.

knocked on his window and wanted to ask what problem, he totally ignored me.

report police no evidence also. i got a better way, since i know he working where as what. maybe i go visit him and ask what is his problem since he is a dashboard warrior.
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
Please help me to clear up my doubts. From what I understand , when the front crank has 58t compared to 53t. And the smallest cog 14.

Pedalling hard on the 58 would be faster then the 53t. So I dont understand why when people say that their 11 speed bike is faster then a 9 speed with the same smaller cogs.

58t with 14t at a cadence of 90 is 34.4km/hr, compared to 31.5km/hr on the 53t and 14t (calculated with 42-406 wheels), seriously I ride mainly at my 6 to 7 gear

On every bike I have ever cycled. I only use either the highest to cruise down pcn, or the lowest gear to go up slope. :s22:


Beautiful bike you have there. Maybe when I get my own flat I will get one to hang on the wall to look good and for some weekday solo cycling.


I will definitely not be buying the fsX for it is at a price I wouldn'd consider..... yet.

I have always seen and admire the birdy bikes, when I cycle and see one on the road. My mind goes ~~birdy~~~~. And I know this is a person who knows what comfort is.
I haven't considered it because I had the impression that it's a bike more engine then parts that allows it to go fast. With it being full suspension and even a disc brake.

full suspension means u get a smoother ride, disc brakes gives u braking ability for all weather and terrain, but it is heavier than a caliper/V brake system. Definitely engine plays a part but the component is equally as important

I went to search around and see that on eWalker there is 7 different kinds. :s11:

But on cyclelogy , there is only 3 different kinds?
Would the classic be up-gradable? In the event I buy that and feel it lacking?
Would the frame accept a cassette with 9t as smallest cog?
Sorry noob here. :s13:

definitely upgradable



I am quite random I understand. =:p

Oh, so your pump is still better than mine. For me maybe one if every 20 strokes will deliver air into valve. :D

How long have you been using it?

almost 2 years
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
nah no contact, managed to swerve away. usually i would react extreme violent when i caught him at the lights, but his sticker saved him i guess.

knocked on his window and wanted to ask what problem, he totally ignored me.

report police no evidence also. i got a better way, since i know he working where as what. maybe i go visit him and ask what is his problem since he is a dashboard warrior.

beware he might document the meet up and make a police report.. I would advice against direct confrontation
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
just checking, no one driving SFE 963Z rite?

this driver shouted "fugggg offfffff" and tried to ram me off the road. Managed to CSI him already.

saw a "1.5m matters" sticker at the back :s22: So i though i ask 1st in case friendly fire.

i kena also from someone along ubi driving a honda stream, tried to cut into my lane so i swerved out from my usual in between arrrow and yellow line to the second half alonf the left lane to protect myself
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
Ok will try pushing forward 5mm or so. For fizik saddle if push until the back part cannot see the measurement line is ok right. Cos still got quite alot of straight rail left.
Ya for long rides I feel my arm feel abit stretched. Especially triceps area. I measured le, saddle to shifter got 3 cm difference. :(

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT

yup too long liao, you can try by pushing the saddle all the way foward. 130 abit pro-ish if you got good flexibility

the other way is to push the shifters back, but you cant push it that much too .
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Please help me to clear up my doubts. From what I understand , when the front crank has 58t compared to 53t. And the smallest cog 14.

Pedalling hard on the 58 would be faster then the 53t. So I dont understand why when people say that their 11 speed bike is faster then a 9 speed with the same smaller cogs.

On every bike I have ever cycled. I only use either the highest to cruise down pcn, or the lowest gear to go up slope. :s22:

Actually, its the ratio of the front chain ring to the rear sprocket.. that is, the gear ratio, that confuses you.

Not all rear sprocket is the same. On a standard cassette, the smallest is normally 11T. In some extreme cases, the smallest sprocket is 9T (shimano capreo).

Simple maths... 53/11, 58/14 or 53/9 biggest? I am simplifying things.. for most cyclists (me included) can never use the largest gear with reasonable cadence.

I have personally seen 53/9 on 406 wheels charging down changi coastal. That sight, to me, is one of the most unforgettable scene in my cycling history. He overtook two road bike pelotons before disappearing from my sight. The rider is a hardcore cyclist who always ride road bikes on long distances so that's why he can sustain such incredibly high gearing.

I have always seen and admire the birdy bikes, when I cycle and see one on the road. My mind goes ~~birdy~~~~. And I know this is a person who knows what comfort is.
I haven't considered it because I had the impression that it's a bike more engine then parts that allows it to go fast. With it being full suspension and even a disc brake.

Birdy is indeed very fast and comfortable. I know.. cuz i cycled with birdy cyclists before and i also know the birdy admin.
 

Albedo

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
34,777
Reaction score
2,399
nah no contact, managed to swerve away. usually i would react extreme violent when i caught him at the lights, but his sticker saved him i guess.

knocked on his window and wanted to ask what problem, he totally ignored me.

report police no evidence also. i got a better way, since i know he working where as what. maybe i go visit him and ask what is his problem since he is a dashboard warrior.

U know where he work?

yah, i won't advise meeting him too. Just a suay incident.
 

zul99z

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2009
Messages
5,839
Reaction score
0
Hi, need your kind advice here. I'm planning to purchase a bicycle for my 15 year old younger brother for his birthday in Feb. Not too sure about the different bicycle terms here. He uses his bicycle quite often, from going to school, playing soccer and going to shops and on occasion riding at Park connectors with his peers. The bicycle he is currently using is some cheapo giant bicycle that is more than 5 years old. I guess this would be a practical gift to him. Budget not more than $300, the lesser the cost the better hahaha :)
 

jeffrey159

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
964
Reaction score
0
i kena also from someone along ubi driving a honda stream, tried to cut into my lane so i swerved out from my usual in between arrrow and yellow line to the second half alonf the left lane to protect myself

almost got hit by a mini truck yesterday near punggol waterpoint. was going to overtake as the driver on hazard light, plus my flashlight freaking bright can shine over 10m somemore, he just suddenly swerve to the right when i was already beside his right side mirror :( luckily no car on lane 2,3..
 

cyberian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
0

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Having 9t at the back is almost 1x faster! I understand the ratio. Big front crank drive small cog = Speed.

If the rider you mention rides a 58/9 wouldnt he be flying. :O

That is.. provided you have the strength to pedal and maintain cadence at this gear ratio 58/9. It all depends on whether the person's engine can take it.

My friend's Birdie with capreo is already cruising at 32-34kmh while his heart beat barely enters zone 4.

The bad thing about capreo cassette is that the gear jumps are quite crazy. Very hard to keep spinning consistently.

I will stick to 23-12 ten speed cassette. I am a weak rider. 53/14 on 451 wheels is already quite tough for me to handle. :s22:

Maybe I will get this http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace/ad-details/876053/birdy-2015-new-model-standard-9-speed-disc

And then if I feel lacking. I upgrade to capreo hubs. :p

One thing about capreo hub is that the tooling is different. Not many bike shops have the necessary cassette removal tool.
 
Last edited:

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
0
That is.. provided you have the strength to pedal and maintain cadence at this gear ratio 58/9. It all depends on whether the person's engine can take it.

My friend's Birdie with capreo is already cruising at 32-34kmh while his heart beat barely enters zone 4.

The bad thing about capreo cassette is that the gear jumps are quite crazy. Very hard to keep spinning consistently.

I will stick to 23-12 ten speed cassette. I am a weak rider. 53/14 on 451 wheels is already quite tough for me to handle. :s22:



One thing about capreo hub is that the tooling is different. Not many bike shops have the necessary cassette removal tool.


Yes of course it depends whether the engine can maintain pedaling. Haha.

I rarely see 451 bikes so no chance to try them.

I will get the bike try out and see. Maybe upgrade slowly , ride and review the bike components. :)
 

movemanism

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
611
Reaction score
0
Hi, need your kind advice here. I'm planning to purchase a bicycle for my 15 year old younger brother for his birthday in Feb. Not too sure about the different bicycle terms here. He uses his bicycle quite often, from going to school, playing soccer and going to shops and on occasion riding at Park connectors with his peers. The bicycle he is currently using is some cheapo giant bicycle that is more than 5 years old. I guess this would be a practical gift to him. Budget not more than $300, the lesser the cost the better hahaha :)


Browse here: togoparts.com
Click "Bikes" and use refine search to set your budget accordingly and viola!
 

Jay Bee

Banned
Joined
Jan 31, 2013
Messages
43,120
Reaction score
2
U know where he work?

yah, i won't advise meeting him too. Just a suay incident.

no this is like the 5th incident he harass me already.

from squeezing kerb to this.... i just want to be sure no friendly fire b4 i launch my arty

i usually brush aside inconsiderable drivers, but i think this is over the line.
 
Last edited:

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
no this is like the 5th incident he harass me already.

from squeezing kerb to this.... i just want to be sure no friendly fire b4 i launch my arty

i usually brush aside inconsiderable drivers, but i think this is over the line.
should confront him..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top