CCTV camera

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok so this is not furniture or decor but posting in the homeseeker thread is probably more OT.

Anyways, wanted to ask if its legal to install a CCTV camera outside an HDB flat? No need to be those super big ones lah maybe something like those IP camera. Perhaps on the wall just above the door.

fishfillet

Reaction score
I know a few people who've installed cctv outside their flats, there's also quite a few youtube videos of underwear thieves caught on camera - HDB bra thief caught in action by CCTV! - YouTube

I'm quite sure that as long as your cctv is directed at a public space, and not pointing into somebody's home, it should be alright, especially if you're living in a neighbourhood with high rate of theft.

Ok so this is not furniture or decor but posting in the homeseeker thread is probably more OT.

Anyways, wanted to ask if its legal to install a CCTV camera outside an HDB flat? No need to be those super big ones lah maybe something like those IP camera. Perhaps on the wall just above the door.

the_gryffindor

Reaction score
Any recommendations? There are some that can connect to a dlink router allowing the owner to log in via the Internet yo check.

carrot87

Reaction score
It's not legal to install a CCTV camera outside any HDB flat. unless there is a police letter authorization report. You may install it at your own risk the most HDB Flat send you a letter to remove it off :)

lambs1999

Reaction score
I need some advice from expert here with regards to dlink DVG N5402SG port forward issue, trying to watch on internet but port forwarding does not seem to work. My dvr set up with dyndns pro series, seen ok.

It be good if can have some step by step installiation on how to do the configuration.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HDB has confirmed that you CAN NOT suka suka install a CCTV outside. You need to write to Town Council for permission. They will then ask you for reason e.g. ah long, vandalism, etc and forward the request to Police.

If approved, they will give you permission and even then its not to be mounted there permanently. They will tell you how long you can keep it there and after that you must remove it unless you get approval to keep it there longer.

So for those CCTVs you see outside HDB flat long term, I can only assume its one of three things:
- Its a dummy camera used to scare ppl.
- The owner had asked for permission once & after expiry period, did not remove it.
- It was done illegally.

Now here's an interesting thing. I asked them what if the CCTV was installed INSIDE the flat. Like maybe near the entrance so if anyone breaks in, it can capture it. But as its inside the flat, it will not intrude on any neighbour's privacy.

HDB claims that even if inside the flat also must ask for permissions and state the reason and also its not permanent. That I think is b*ll sh*t.

Excuse you, I BOUGHT the flat. It was a resale flat hence HDB did not subsidise it, nor did HDB give me any grants. It was all my hard earned money. After 99 years lease is up the flat is HDB property but till then, it remains MY flat and as long as its inside MY flat I can jolly well do whatever I want as long as I don't start hacking at the retaining wall or any other thing which affects the safety of the flat.

So HDB can go screw themselves. I will install a CCTV inside my flat if I want to. :s8:

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for CCTV other than SG-CCTV.com?

Thanks.

acme15

Reaction score
You can try Jia Ying Trading
It's in Sim Lim Square level 2. They carry Panasonic IP cameras and other brands.

Kenny23

Reaction score
HDB has confirmed that you CAN NOT suka suka install a CCTV outside. You need to write to Town Council for permission. They will then ask you for reason e.g. ah long, vandalism, etc and forward the request to Police.

If approved, they will give you permission and even then its not to be mounted there permanently. They will tell you how long you can keep it there and after that you must remove it unless you get approval to keep it there longer.

So for those CCTVs you see outside HDB flat long term, I can only assume its one of three things:
- Its a dummy camera used to scare ppl.
- The owner had asked for permission once & after expiry period, did not remove it.
- It was done illegally.

Now here's an interesting thing. I asked them what if the CCTV was installed INSIDE the flat. Like maybe near the entrance so if anyone breaks in, it can capture it. But as its inside the flat, it will not intrude on any neighbour's privacy.

HDB claims that even if inside the flat also must ask for permissions and state the reason and also its not permanent. That I think is b*ll sh*t.

Excuse you, I BOUGHT the flat. It was a resale flat hence HDB did not subsidise it, nor did HDB give me any grants. It was all my hard earned money. After 99 years lease is up the flat is HDB property but till then, it remains MY flat and as long as its inside MY flat I can jolly well do whatever I want as long as I don't start hacking at the retaining wall or any other thing which affects the safety of the flat.

So HDB can go screw themselves. I will install a CCTV inside my flat if I want to. :s8:

muahahahahahaha cannot install it inside your own house?? I hope u scolded them...haa

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
how abt install into the door hole?? u know that hole?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Peephole camera? I checked the Brinno and I was not convinced.

itedino

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Full set of security system. How about that?

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can try Security Camera For Home & Offices | Home Security Camera Singapore

My friend eric used their service for their hdb at fernvale.

The best solution is to write in and install if really happen. So they know your reason is valid to their requirements.
If I want to install inside the flat, I will just install. HDB can screw their dumb arse policy of getting approvals! CCTV outside the flat I can understand but inside the flat is another story.

I know many ppl install in their flats. Some get a CCTV company to come in and install. Others just DIY with IP camera and a PC. If all need HDB approval, then HDB would need to hire 50 more staff just to handle all this crap!

chanel26

Reaction score

Derrick, read this article on installing CCTV outside HDB:
Can I Install CCTV Outside MY HDB?

Hope it helps ;)

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Derrick, read this article on installing CCTV outside HDB:
Can I Install CCTV Outside MY HDB?

Hope it helps ;)
Thanks. I suspect some info might be wrong though. Notice that site sells CCTVs. I did email HDB to clarify and the answer is basically no.

If you want you must apply for permit and even then its not a life time permit. Even if inside flat also need permit. Like I said before, screw HDB! Outside flat no choice, must comply. Inside flat even if I want to install CCTV in my toilet who can stop me? :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.