China high speed rail

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2002
Messages
19,647
Reaction score
55
"Tan Celeste Xie Hui", follow the order at the bottom of the passport

example Wong Kara Yun En:
ppt-2017-open.jpg
ok thanks!
 

Cokacola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
23,271
Reaction score
8,103
I would like to book the overnight sleeper train 1st class and have 4 pax. How can I ensure trip.com or c.trip help to book one whole cabin for me Instead of each person different cabin?

I understand one cabin can have up to 4 pax.

I tried the 12306 but no china number to book
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,034
Reaction score
1,920
I would like to book the overnight sleeper train 1st class and have 4 pax. How can I ensure trip.com or c.trip help to book one whole cabin for me Instead of each person different cabin?

I understand one cabin can have up to 4 pax.

I tried the 12306 but no china number to book
Best to book as early as possible. Better yet, via trip.com before 12306 opens the official booking window. The algorithm tries to put all 4 of you in the same cabin.
 

Cokacola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
23,271
Reaction score
8,103
Best to book as early as possible. Better yet, via trip.com before 12306 opens the official booking window. The algorithm tries to put all 4 of you in the same cabin.
i tried messaging the customer service in trip.com. she said they will only "try" as it maybe randomly seated instead.
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
boarding closes 5mins before departure
usually i enter the train station 15mins before departure
if u wanna be safe, 30mins also more than enough

to summarise for everyone

1. book through 12306(require verification of passport, may be tedious if last min) or book through trip.com or 携程 app (minor admin fees involved)
2. no need to collect ticket unless u need to reimburse from local company
3. show passport at manual counter to enter station (for large cities with multiple layers of check like beijing)
4. show passport at manual counter of boarding hall to board train
5. after disembarking, show passport at manual counter to exit train station
6. trains depart ON TIME, if you are running late just reschedule through whatever channel you bought from(can reschedule once, afterwhich ticket is wasted and u need to buy a new one)
7. G and C trains no smoking
8. green-skinned trains aka slow trains (K or T or Z) can smoke in the connector passageways

very hasslefree actually and nothing to worry about

ps. i take the hsr every week


Hi. Sorry for digging an older post..
I see from point 6 that it is possible to reschedule train if I know I cannot make it on time.

Basically I want to buy a ticket in advance on my arrival day and I am afraid I cannot make the train timing (late evening) should the flight be delayed or if there is traffic jam (from airport to train station).
I think it is likely I will use trip.com as I had bad experience using 12306 earlier this year (willing to try again but not expecting it to work).

Is there a time limit for changing my ticket to a later time? For example, I need to change the ticket 1 hour before my train departure time or I lose my ticket? Or can I actually change my ticket without penalty even after the train has departed?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,034
Reaction score
1,920
Hi. Sorry for digging an older post..
I see from point 6 that it is possible to reschedule train if I know I cannot make it on time.

Basically I want to buy a ticket in advance on my arrival day and I am afraid I cannot make the train timing (late evening) should the flight be delayed or if there is traffic jam (from airport to train station).
I think it is likely I will use trip.com as I had bad experience using 12306 earlier this year (willing to try again but not expecting it to work).

Is there a time limit for changing my ticket to a later time? For example, I need to change the ticket 1 hour before my train departure time or I lose my ticket? Or can I actually change my ticket without penalty even after the train has departed?
The following corroborates with what I know and what I have done recently:
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/ticket-change.htm
 

seanysp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
37,674
Reaction score
66
Hi. Sorry for digging an older post..
I see from point 6 that it is possible to reschedule train if I know I cannot make it on time.

Basically I want to buy a ticket in advance on my arrival day and I am afraid I cannot make the train timing (late evening) should the flight be delayed or if there is traffic jam (from airport to train station).
I think it is likely I will use trip.com as I had bad experience using 12306 earlier this year (willing to try again but not expecting it to work).

Is there a time limit for changing my ticket to a later time? For example, I need to change the ticket 1 hour before my train departure time or I lose my ticket? Or can I actually change my ticket without penalty even after the train has departed?
as long as before departure timing
just choose 改签, there will be some fees but not much
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
The following corroborates with what I know and what I have done recently:
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/ticket-change.htm
as long as before departure timing
just choose 改签, there will be some fees but not much


Thank you. Do you happen to know if the change can also be done on Trip.com app or I have to change at the station?

I mean if I cannot make the change on the app, then it is likely i can only make the change at the station after the train has departed.

Obviously if i can get 12306 to work then I think I would surely be able to make the change on the app. I will try to verify again using the mini app on Alipay..
 

seanysp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
37,674
Reaction score
66
Thank you. Do you happen to know if the change can also be done on Trip.com app or I have to change at the station?

I mean if I cannot make the change on the app, then it is likely i can only make the change at the station after the train has departed.

Obviously if i can get 12306 to work then I think I would surely be able to make the change on the app. I will try to verify again using the mini app on Alipay..
yes on app can change also
nowadays i use 12306 miniprogram in alipay cause trip app charges service fees
 

Shalom_555

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2023
Messages
253
Reaction score
173
Thank you. Do you happen to know if the change can also be done on Trip.com app or I have to change at the station?

I mean if I cannot make the change on the app, then it is likely i can only make the change at the station after the train has departed.

Obviously if i can get 12306 to work then I think I would surely be able to make the change on the app. I will try to verify again using the mini app on Alipay..

I might be in the same situation as you and here is Trip.com advice:
If you booked a train ticket with Trip.com and it hasn’t been issued, you can cancel your train ticket on Trip.com. If you've already picked up your paper train ticket (for reimbursement purposes), you'll need to go to a station ticket window to change the ticket or get a refund
.If you booked a train ticket but your plans have changed, you can submit a request to change or cancel your ticket. To ensure your request can be processed, please be sure to submit it before your train's departure time within the time period from 08:00 to 20:00 (GMT+8).

20% handling fee will be charged per train ticket for cancellations made less than 24 hours before departure.

https://www.trip.com/trains/china/ticket-change-and-cancellation-policy.html
 

klavier

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
343
I might be in the same situation as you and here is Trip.com advice:
If you booked a train ticket with Trip.com and it hasn’t been issued, you can cancel your train ticket on Trip.com. If you've already picked up your paper train ticket (for reimbursement purposes), you'll need to go to a station ticket window to change the ticket or get a refund
.If you booked a train ticket but your plans have changed, you can submit a request to change or cancel your ticket. To ensure your request can be processed, please be sure to submit it before your train's departure time within the time period from 08:00 to 20:00 (GMT+8).

20% handling fee will be charged per train ticket for cancellations made less than 24 hours before departure.

https://www.trip.com/trains/china/ticket-change-and-cancellation-policy.html

Thanks. Feels like while possible to change tickets using the app, 20% fee will be liable since any change made will surely be within 24 hours before train's departure (for my scenario). Not the best but I guess for some it might be worth the risk.
 

jywy2005

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
2,707
China train 12306 allows you to choose the seat onboard. I normally pick seat 1A of the 1st class cabin, which is nearest to the carriage door. There is space behind your seat to store your luggage. Business class train tickets are too expensive, and not really worth it (IMHO)

Try not to bring anything bigger than 24 in baggage. Difficult to place in overhead rack. Moreover, Their train stations is usually very crowded with a narrow escalator. Sometimes, I resorted to carry my luggage up and down the staircases.

Note that nowadays can use passport and go through the manual checkin lane to board the train. Make sure you are in the correct queue. Do queue early too.
 

turtle2018

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2018
Messages
210
Reaction score
195
12306 App (International, English version):

My SG passport was renewed a few months ago, & in my recent China trip, I tried to "update" the info in the 12306 App, & realized that this field cannot be changed. I went to the train station, & the staff also could not change it (in fact, she could not even find my record in the system based on the earlier passport no.)
So I had to buy my first train ticket at the train station, & the staff set up my record (name, passport no, etc) in their system.

Thereafter, I uninstalled & re-installed the 12306 App from Google Playstore, & registered a new a/c using my new passport no. & e-mail (gmail). The set-up was very smooth (but note that the initial OTP was sent to the Junk folder in gmail). I was able to buy train tickets via 12306 App for 2 subsequent segments without the need to authenticate again at the train station, & the process was very smooth (as compared to my experience in Nov 2023). I was also able to change the date/ time of my ticket (for once only, & FOC) in the 12306 App.
 

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2002
Messages
19,647
Reaction score
55
12306 App (International, English version):

My SG passport was renewed a few months ago, & in my recent China trip, I tried to "update" the info in the 12306 App, & realized that this field cannot be changed. I went to the train station, & the staff also could not change it (in fact, she could not even find my record in the system based on the earlier passport no.)
So I had to buy my first train ticket at the train station, & the staff set up my record (name, passport no, etc) in their system.

Thereafter, I uninstalled & re-installed the 12306 App from Google Playstore, & registered a new a/c using my new passport no. & e-mail (gmail). The set-up was very smooth (but note that the initial OTP was sent to the Junk folder in gmail). I was able to buy train tickets via 12306 App for 2 subsequent segments without the need to authenticate again at the train station, & the process was very smooth (as compared to my experience in Nov 2023). I was also able to change the date/ time of my ticket (for once only, & FOC) in the 12306 App.
Yes, you are not able to change the details of your passport after the "so called verification" online. U can only delete your account and re-register again. I also did that just to change the format of my name.
 

hawkwind

Master Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
4,633
Reaction score
982
I hope the can advance bookings at least a month ahead. With only a fortnight advance your options for other transportation becomes much more limited.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,034
Reaction score
1,920
I hope the can advance bookings at least a month ahead. With only a fortnight advance your options for other transportation becomes much more limited.
Book with ctrip.com which offers earlier booking, earlier than the official booking window which offers 2 weeks' advance.
 

hawkwind

Master Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2006
Messages
4,633
Reaction score
982
Book with ctrip.com which offers earlier booking, earlier than the official booking window which offers 2 weeks' advance.
I believe ctrip can only make booking once the booking window opens which is a fortnight. You can "book" ctrip in advance but it's not confirmed.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,034
Reaction score
1,920
I believe ctrip can only make booking once the booking window opens which is a fortnight. You can "book" ctrip in advance but it's not confirmed.
They use machine means to help you book once the official booking window opens. They also maintain a lookout for you to fulfil your booking when other passengers cancel bookings. I have been successful with them so far, even for peak season bookings, although certainly, one gets quite anxious waiting for the confirmation.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top