DBS Woman's MasterCard

cowfart

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2007
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
1
If there is enough demand I can possibly start a thread on "what's best for you, Y/J/F, cashback/miles based on different scenarios", but it might not come so soon. If anyone wishes to see such a thread or wants to contribute your views, feel free to grab hold of me via quoting in any thread that I post in, or just send me a pm.

Can I request a "mileage valuation thread" =:p
This deceptively simple topic is actually rocket science as there is no fixed answer. Yet it's relevant because it helps consumers make a decision between cashback or miles.

Personally I would assign a valuation of about 1.25-1.75 cents per mile - as a consequence, I would take 1.2mpd over 1.5%**, but I would take 7%** over 4mpd. Of course, that's calculated based on my travel patterns and needs. FlyerTalk does not have a sizeable SG-based frequent flyer community unfortunately - would very much love to hear the views of others.
 

dahnoob

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
904
Reaction score
0
Can I request a "mileage valuation thread" =:p
This deceptively simple topic is actually rocket science as there is no fixed answer. Yet it's relevant because it helps consumers make a decision between cashback or miles.

Personally I would assign a valuation of about 1.25-1.75 cents per mile - as a consequence, I would take 1.2mpd over 1.5%**, but I would take 7%** over 4mpd. Of course, that's calculated based on my travel patterns and needs. FlyerTalk does not have a sizeable SG-based frequent flyer community unfortunately - would very much love to hear the views of others.

I have it somewhere in my SQ devaluation thread. However, this is a topic that I'm not too willing to bring up, because I can't force my views onto someone else. I take my miles at 4-5 cpm for J, and 5-7 cpm for F. Never redeemed a single Y so I don't have a value for that. Surely, there will be people who disagree, often quoting some blogs showing how a J redemption is worth 2cpm 'at best', and is usually less than 1cpm 'at worst'.

EDIT: here it is, plenty information in the same page.
 
Last edited:

dahnoob

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
904
Reaction score
0
I may not have phrased my question correctly - essentially I'm curious as to what other experienced flyers deem to be their tipping point - ie the limit at which they will pay for a mile (in terms of opportunity costs of cashback). For myself, my tipping point is about 1.7 cents. Beyond that and I would prefer the money.

Ah. There's no tipping point for me. If I had to give one, it's probably 2cpm, the cost of 'buying miles' via AF. So I'd take >8% cashback over 4mpd, but in reality it's not possible. For category specific cashback cards, they all have requirements such as min spend, cashback cap etc. I don't see a reason to divert more than required spending just to meet the cashback. Therefore I advise everyone to stick with 1 method, either cashback or miles. Unless your monthly spending is so high that the earn cap from all cards combined is still insufficient.
 

Allen_C_Sharp

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2013
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
0
Noticed after the recent Kf miles redemption changes, one way ticket outbound becomes more worthy to redeem award ticket, previously it was the other way round.

And I tried certain country can achieve >20% cashback for economy redemption(assuming 4mpd & no promotion), the rule of only redeeming for biz/first class may not work for certain counties anymore. Suggest try it out based on our individual destinations.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
Mind sharing which country?
I realize redemption for Europe economy is more worthy now.

Noticed after the recent Kf miles redemption changes, one way ticket outbound becomes more worthy to redeem award ticket, previously it was the other way round.

And I tried certain country can achieve >20% cashback for economy redemption(assuming 4mpd & no promotion), the rule of only redeeming for biz/first class may not work for certain counties anymore. Suggest try it out based on our individual destinations.
 

Bhaal

Master Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2001
Messages
4,966
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know if booking of musical tickets online qualified for 4 mpd? Thanks
 

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,516
Reaction score
678
Ah. There's no tipping point for me. If I had to give one, it's probably 2cpm, the cost of 'buying miles' via AF. So I'd take >8% cashback over 4mpd, but in reality it's not possible. For category specific cashback cards, they all have requirements such as min spend, cashback cap etc. I don't see a reason to divert more than required spending just to meet the cashback. Therefore I advise everyone to stick with 1 method, either cashback or miles. Unless your monthly spending is so high that the earn cap from all cards combined is still insufficient.
i want to point out

The cost of miles = cost of air ticket divided by miles required.
It shouldnt be the cost of "buying it".


your 2nd part is correct. for 4mpd, %rebate = cost of miles divided by $0.25 × 100%

But yea, it's typically ard 0.6cpm for econs to 2cpm for biz; around 1.5% for econs, 6 to 8% for biz. Cheers.
 

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,516
Reaction score
678
Mind sharing which country?
I realize redemption for Europe economy is more worthy now.
yes. somebody already cal. im not giving any credits to them tho :)
CWfQXN1l.png
 
Last edited:

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,516
Reaction score
678
jarkata? cx needs to fly to bkk/hk and merry go round. so u need to know such caveat to use the table
 

dahnoob

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
904
Reaction score
0
i want to point out

The cost of miles = cost of air ticket divided by miles required.
It shouldnt be the cost of "buying it".


your 2nd part is correct. for 4mpd, %rebate = cost of miles divided by $0.25 × 100%

But yea, it's typically ard 0.6cpm for econs to 2cpm for biz; around 1.5% for econs, 6 to 8% for biz. Cheers.

I view cost differently from value. The cost of a mile is exactly as the word suggests, the cost (be it actual cost or opportunity cost) of obtaining 1 mile. If I buy miles via AFs, I need to pay 2cpm.

The value of a mile is what you suggested, cost of the ticket divided by the amount of miles required.

Say I redeem for SIN-JFK in J, and am able to get 6cpm in value (assumption), it doesn't mean I'm willing to forgo 24% cashback over 4cpm. For the same $1 spent, I can easily buy 4 miles for 8 cents, and keep the remaining 16 cents. This explains why my tipping point is 2cpm, and anything over 8% cashback, I'll take the cashback over 4mpd. Hope this clarifies.


yes. somebody already cal. im not giving any credits to them tho :)
CWfQXN1l.png

I believe OP was asking for which countries are cheaper to fly post-devaluation, compared to pre-devaluation. The table you provided was a comparison between SQ and CX.
 

dynastyhan

Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2007
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
I remember reading about purchases via SQ App not considered as Online.
May I know if this has changed? Is it still considered offline?
 

Pandule

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2006
Messages
586
Reaction score
1
I think now without fuel surcharge it makes redeeming for short trips also ok

Last time if redeem economy to Taipei. Need to pay charges of $300+. Now just pay $50+ dollars

If we use on average $1 can get us 2.5 miles ( using 4mpd DBS woman and 1.2mpd Alititude visa. for some transactions)

A flight to Taipei will be 30k miles. , or you spend about $12k

A normal flight on SQ will be around $500

500/12000 = 4.16%. Still much better than most cashback cards where you have to hit min target to receive more cashback.
 

dahnoob

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
904
Reaction score
0
I remember reading about purchases via SQ App not considered as Online.
May I know if this has changed? Is it still considered offline?

I don't think anyone will try using the app ever since it was offline. I'm aware of the app-only fares, but I wouldn't risk it. If you really had to find out, make a redemption for award ticket and pay the taxes using the app. After 16 May you'll find out if it's online or not.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top