DELL STREAK USERS COME IN !!!

Boner

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2002
Messages
7,324
Reaction score
0
If side by side samsung tab and dell streak, which will be a better buy?
 

freakerknoid

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
0
Agree, 5 inches is like the limited for the pocket of your jean or pant(except skinny jean). Anything larger would be a problem....Its still ok to hold streak to your ear like a phone. I can only image holding a samsung tab to your ear.:D
 

Skyline R34

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 18, 2007
Messages
9,094
Reaction score
0
If just purely looking at on-paper specifications, the Galaxy Tab will be the one to go for with its larger screen and probable lower pricing(this one's a guess).

Day-to-day usage though, as whatz_triz and freakerknoid has pointed out, the screen may just be too big. Apart from holding the Galaxy Tab next to the phone, imagine how one will text on it like one normally do on a touchscreen phone! And not to mention how easy one can easily peep on your intimate SMSes! :D

Looking at GSMArena spec sheet, the Galaxy Tab seems to have a higher capacity battery (4000mAh to 1530mAh), though standby time and talk time are not available for both. The Galaxy Tab may have a much larger screen, but the increase in battery capacity is not little too and just might translate to slightly longer standby time for the Galaxy Tab.

Lastly, though they are quite similar, I would consider the Dell Streak as a phone with tablet capabilities and the Samsung Galaxy more of a tablet with phone capabilities.
 
Last edited:

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
dell streak is already too big to be a phone, the samsung galaxy tab lagi big lol...
 

Boner

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2002
Messages
7,324
Reaction score
0
Interesting. I believe Samsung Tab will come to SG sooner then Dell Streak.
 

duhster

Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2001
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Any fellow users here who are thinking of upgrading to the "official" 2.1 build, be warned...

Sian, I've been using build 8105 for just a couple of days and it's pure hell... The Streak runs so slow and windows open so jerkily that I don't even dare to show it to anyone now.

It seems to use a lot more CPU. Using SeePU to check, at idle, I notice it using from about 50-75% CPU! The default Android browser uses 100% CPU all the time.

In addition, Wi-Fi doesn't work properly, and 3G data seems very laggy.

I should have believed the complaints I saw on the MoDaCo forums. I'm reverting to the "beta" 2.1 build 6941 which was much smoother. Probably gonna stick with that till they cook Froyo for it.

EDIT: Going back from official 2.1 to 1.6 or beta 2.1 is not as easy as it sounds. http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/08/how-to-go-back-to-android-16-on-dell-streak-after-21-update.html
 
Last edited:

ah_bo0

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
295
Reaction score
1
Any fellow users here who are thinking of upgrading to the "official" 2.1 build, be warned...

Sian, I've been using build 8105 for just a couple of days and it's pure hell... The Streak runs so slow and windows open so jerkily that I don't even dare to show it to anyone now.

It seems to use a lot more CPU. Using SeePU to check, at idle, I notice it using from about 50-75% CPU! The default Android browser uses 100% CPU all the time.

In addition, Wi-Fi doesn't work properly, and 3G data seems very laggy.

I should have believed the complaints I saw on the MoDaCo forums. I'm reverting to the "beta" 2.1 build 6941 which was much smoother. Probably gonna stick with that till they cook Froyo for it.

EDIT: Going back from official 2.1 to 1.6 or beta 2.1 is not as easy as it sounds. http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/08/how-to-go-back-to-android-16-on-dell-streak-after-21-update.html

im waiting for my streak to arrive... :D
in the meantime i wanna know which firmware should i use? is the 2.1 really that bad? After upgrading to 2.1, heard the front camera cannot be used, izit true?:eek:
 

duhster

Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2001
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
im waiting for my streak to arrive... :D
in the meantime i wanna know which firmware should i use? is the 2.1 really that bad? After upgrading to 2.1, heard the front camera cannot be used, izit true?:eek:

Can't really confirm the front camera issue, but what I can say is, build 8105 looks more "presentable" on the surface but behaved like an alpha firmware to me, whereas build 6941 has a few graphics bugs here and there and will change to portrait mode in e.g. the phone app, but is smooth, fast and low CPU usage. BTW, both are 2.1.

Be careful choosing your firmware... reverting to 1.6 from 2.1 isn't that easy, even in the link I posted there was a command error (see the comments) which I spent 1/2 hr troubleshooting...
 

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
12,657
Reaction score
240
is the official 2.1 really that bad? anyway to test is it bad or not cos i tried it since it is out till now seems ok leh can connect to wifi but never try 3g cos mine is prepaid card.
 

hagenuk

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2000
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
0
Any fellow users here who are thinking of upgrading to the "official" 2.1 build, be warned...

Sian, I've been using build 8105 for just a couple of days and it's pure hell... The Streak runs so slow and windows open so jerkily that I don't even dare to show it to anyone now.

It seems to use a lot more CPU. Using SeePU to check, at idle, I notice it using from about 50-75% CPU! The default Android browser uses 100% CPU all the time.

In addition, Wi-Fi doesn't work properly, and 3G data seems very laggy.

I should have believed the complaints I saw on the MoDaCo forums. I'm reverting to the "beta" 2.1 build 6941 which was much smoother. Probably gonna stick with that till they cook Froyo for it.

EDIT: Going back from official 2.1 to 1.6 or beta 2.1 is not as easy as it sounds. http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/08/how-to-go-back-to-android-16-on-dell-streak-after-21-update.html

Duhster, I have used the leaked 2.1 (build 6941), and O2 Dell Streak official 2.1(Build 8105) and I don't have any problem that you mentioned.

However the O2 2.1 just seem to have some camera features removed like the front camera is useless now and there are others.

For me, I first downgraded from 2.1(Build 6941-21) to the stock 1.6(build 4399) before I upgraded to 2.1(Build 8105) via OTA.

To downgrade, I used the following commands with the "Streak_104_4399_21.pgk" save as "update.pkg" in the SDCARD(upper case or lower case doesn't matter as SDCARD is in FAT32)

And I than I used the following "fastboot" command to clear my Streak on my mac.

./fastboot-mac -i 0x413c -w
./fastboot-mac -i 0x413c erase system
./fastboot-mac -i 0x413c erase recovery
./fastboot-mac -i 0x413c erase boot
./fastboot-mac -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.stock.new.img
./fastboot-mac -i 0x413c reboot

The "recovery.stock.new.img" can be downloaded here.

I'm now happy with 2.1 while hoping for 2.2 to be release.
 
Last edited:

chng238

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
871
Reaction score
0
Just saw the RSS from Chinese engadget.....

Dell streak start launch in Hong Kong, android 1.6. HKD 5,499.....

That mean Singapore soon......:s12:
 

duhster

Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2001
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Duhster, I have used the leaked 2.1 (build 6941), and O2 Dell Streak official 2.1(Build 8105) and I don't have any problem that you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick guide. I decided to try going back to 8105. A whole night's work undone in a "flash" :D

Before flashing to 8105, I did a hard reset from the bootloader. And this actually did clear up some of the issues I was having previously. The phone is quite responsive now. However, I still find vs. 6941:
- CPU speed is always at 1GHz and rarely scales back to the lowest 245MHz. Not sure if this is affecting battery life. I cannot use SetCPU to control this unlike in 6941 beta.
- Some windows still open very jerkily.
- I have confirmed that 8105 can pinch-zoom in Angry Birds Beta Lite, but 6941 cannot. Not sure whether to go back to the stability of 6941 for me, or stick with 8105 for this particular show-off power :D
 

duhster

Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2001
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Possible speed boost

After reading this thread on MoDaCo, I decided to try this.

I notice that popup lists open more quickly now and the phone generally feels faster. No change in battery life.

The instructions on MoDaCo are not exactly complete and easy to understand for some people, so I'm contributing a short guide for anyone who needs help. Usual disclaimer, I am not 100% sure what these settings do and I won't be responsible for any damage or failure to perform.

NOTE: First you need to have root access on your Streak, the Android SDK installed, and you need to have Superuser Permissions and a busybox on the Streak. The one by stericson from the Market works perfectly.

Enable USB debugging on your Streak. Connect with USB cable to your PC (disconnect any other Android phones).

Open a command prompt and change directory to the tools folder where the Android SDK is installed (i.e. "cd /android-sdk-windows/tools")
Type
adb devices
and make sure you see a device show up in "List of devices attached".

Type
adb shell
and you will see:
$
Type
su
and you should see Superuser Permissions pop up a message on the phone. Tap Allow.
The prompt should now change from $ to # indicating that you are "root".

Now enter the following commands (each line is a new command):

# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

# echo 'kernel.sched_latency_ns = 600000' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

# echo 'kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 400000' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

# echo 'kernel.sched_features = 24188' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

# echo 'kernel.sched_child_runs_first = 1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

# mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system


Now, still at the # prompt, type
sysctl -p


and you should see:

kernel.sched_latency_ns = 600000
kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 400000
kernel.sched_features = 24188
kernel.sched_child_runs_first = 1


The job is done. Type

exit
exit
adb reboot


The phone will restart.

Please post if this works for you...
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top