DigiPen Singapore

wcyouwcyou

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
508
Reaction score
0
Ah, you don't need to have a good background in maths.. But you definitely need to be able to understand maths when taught to you.. Meaning you have to work harder and absorb all that is taught. After all computer science is a maths stuff.. and video game programming got those physics and graphic programming and stuff which all requires maths....
If maths die die don't go into you.. Then r.t.i.s is gg for you..
 

wcyouwcyou

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
508
Reaction score
0
The schedule are quite tight.. but to make sure that your 9+k per sem is really worth it.. you have to do alot after lesson.. to absorb all the stuff thought.. though definitely the first sem will be lighter then the future sems
 

darkchamber

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
235
Reaction score
0
I didn't get a good sleep last night so I was almost dozing off during orientation... especially the IT one. lol :/
 

neutralph

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
19,759
Reaction score
6,397
juz enquiring any1 of u here took a bank loan for this course? :s22:
 

ritsuko

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
if any RTIS freshman needs a relatively new copy of the CS101/102 text (not sure which one) - The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold, please contact me via msn:

kerubin17@hotmail.com

Will sell it cheap ^^
 

eplusf

Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Any B.A.G.D. or B.S.G.D. students around?

Any idea how much in total is the whole course? i tried to do all the calculations but the figures are rough [i am sure there are other fees i missed out]. Any confirmed amount? I'm interested in this course but kind of overwhelmed by the price actually.
 

neutralph

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
19,759
Reaction score
6,397
Any B.A.G.D. or B.S.G.D. students around?

Any idea how much in total is the whole course? i tried to do all the calculations but the figures are rough [i am sure there are other fees i missed out]. Any confirmed amount? I'm interested in this course but kind of overwhelmed by the price actually.


Hi, I'm an ex-digipen applicant for RTIS, I'm not sure abt the pricing for other courses (mostly likely the same) but I'm paying almost 80k for the entire 4yrs...exclusive of the 7% gst!!! (although the first sem is waive). I went to get a bank loan from citibank, but applicantion was rejected because i need a guarantor (max 3) with 13k++ montly gross salary to borrow the 80k. The monthly repayment for interest is crazy.

Without any choice I have to give up the place. It was all happy for nothing. So I have to look for alternative and ended up quite happily studying com sci @ uni of adelaide (s'pore campus), much more cheaper and pratical. total cost fee around 17k-19k

note that i'm not adveritisng for uoa, but if u looking for alternative due to money issue, it can serve as a reference. Gd luck.
 

eplusf

Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Oh man. the price is huge! I can't afford that. :( Oh man. I'm happy for nothing too. Sigh.
 

j4yp33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Messages
610
Reaction score
2
questions

I am so happy to have found this thread!! Got so many questions to ask...

Currently I am taking my A levels in a junior college, and my results are not going to stellar... Okay, I think they suck. Just took my Math paper a few days ago and I think I can only secure an E, if they moderate down. Probably get a 49 for math, which is usually an S.:( I read here that minimum need 3 A level pass to be eligible for admssion. That sounds a little to easy to be true, if Project Work is considered A level subject. Long story cut short, i take Math, Physics, Computing, Econs and GP. If i get an E for all subjects, do i stand a good chance to be accepted?
HTML:
https://singapore.digipen.edu/admissions/frequently-asked-questions

I am highly interested in the Game Design (Science) degree, but I can't draw for nuts, does that mean that I cannot take that course? I will just have to settle for RTIS if I am not eligible i guess...

All right, last question... Many people have been talking about the steep costs. I read somewhere that it costs around $70000 for four years. Is that true? My sister is in NUS now and if I am not wrong, her total university fees, including hostel fees, hover around that price range too. How much is the price difference between government university fees and digipen?

thanks in advance for reading through and answering my queries!! :)
 

comfytune

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
I am so happy to have found this thread!! Got so many questions to ask...

Currently I am taking my A levels in a junior college, and my results are not going to stellar... Okay, I think they suck. Just took my Math paper a few days ago and I think I can only secure an E, if they moderate down. Probably get a 49 for math, which is usually an S.:( I read here that minimum need 3 A level pass to be eligible for admssion. That sounds a little to easy to be true, if Project Work is considered A level subject. Long story cut short, i take Math, Physics, Computing, Econs and GP. If i get an E for all subjects, do i stand a good chance to be accepted?
HTML:
https://singapore.digipen.edu/admissions/frequently-asked-questions

I am highly interested in the Game Design (Science) degree, but I can't draw for nuts, does that mean that I cannot take that course? I will just have to settle for RTIS if I am not eligible i guess...

All right, last question... Many people have been talking about the steep costs. I read somewhere that it costs around $70000 for four years. Is that true? My sister is in NUS now and if I am not wrong, her total university fees, including hostel fees, hover around that price range too. How much is the price difference between government university fees and digipen?

thanks in advance for reading through and answering my queries!! :)


wt bout going local poly?
 

j4yp33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Messages
610
Reaction score
2
wt bout going local poly?
so that means, JC (2 years) --> NS (2 years) --> Poly (3 years) --> Digipen? Whoa, thats going to be long... Sigh, I just want to know what is the "real minimum" requirement for Digipen. Anybody went in with A level results, can share?
 

walterlow

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
nus 4 years 70k? what course is she taking. if govt subsidies i dun think so ex ba.


also u might wanna check out their website and give them a call to ask questions instead. the staff is quite friendly.
 
Last edited:

zerosum1234

Master Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2003
Messages
4,217
Reaction score
0
I read here that minimum need 3 A level pass to be eligible for admssion. That sounds a little to easy to be true, if Project Work is considered A level subject.

project work is usually not counted as an a-level subject. 3 a level pass refers to your 3 H2 subjects.

anyway, "eligible for admission" means that with 3 a level pass, your application will be CONSIDERED, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted. in other words, that is the bare minimum. any less and they will just bin your application. chances are you are competing with applicants who have scored much better than EEE.
 
Last edited:

wcyouwcyou

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
508
Reaction score
0
j4yp33> I'm in RTIS, I got in with an extremely sucky result, even worst than yours. You need minimum requirement, or maybe they will accept you if you are extremely enthusiatic but fail to meet the requirement by abit.

The main issue is that, when you get in, you need to work like crazy. It's not a pay money to pass course. So yes you can get in, but if you get in with the same attitude as your A level, high chance that you will drop out soon. So my advice is that, if you know you want to be in digipen, make sure you know what game industry is that, it's alot more work than most other industries, and you need to do that much work starting from school time to pass the course.

Conclusion: Apply only if you will are willing to study like crazy, otherwise it's not worth the course fee.

Final advice is that, apply for the course that you have talent in, I don't know about the game design course. But for the B.F.A and R.T.I.S, be sure that you are that kind of art person, or logical/programmer person before you apply too. If not, you will suffer for sure even if you study like crazy.. Like, this field is just not for you.
 

visuallin

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
775
Reaction score
0
Hah, stumbled onto this thread by accident. I'm from BAGD here, will help out with any questions.
 

j4yp33

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Messages
610
Reaction score
2
Thanks wcyouwcyou for the advice. I was slacking off in JC because I didn't have a direction in life, until I found digipen. I am quite sure that i am a "logical/programmer person". Game programming is not something completely alien to either. Did using Python and Pygame during JC 1, that was very basic, but it was enough to make me get interested in the field of game design. Besides, since I take computing and learnt C++ for two years already, I should be more or less trained to think "logically". Anyway, thanks once again. Will definitely work hard if I get in!
 

dominic88

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
hey everyone i am going for this year intake as a student in RTIS, anyone joining me this year?
 

ritsuko

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I am so happy to have found this thread!! Got so many questions to ask...

Currently I am taking my A levels in a junior college, and my results are not going to stellar... Okay, I think they suck. Just took my Math paper a few days ago and I think I can only secure an E, if they moderate down. Probably get a 49 for math, which is usually an S.:( I read here that minimum need 3 A level pass to be eligible for admssion. That sounds a little to easy to be true, if Project Work is considered A level subject. Long story cut short, i take Math, Physics, Computing, Econs and GP. If i get an E for all subjects, do i stand a good chance to be accepted?
HTML:
https://singapore.digipen.edu/admissions/frequently-asked-questions

I am highly interested in the Game Design (Science) degree, but I can't draw for nuts, does that mean that I cannot take that course? I will just have to settle for RTIS if I am not eligible i guess...

All right, last question... Many people have been talking about the steep costs. I read somewhere that it costs around $70000 for four years. Is that true? My sister is in NUS now and if I am not wrong, her total university fees, including hostel fees, hover around that price range too. How much is the price difference between government university fees and digipen?

thanks in advance for reading through and answering my queries!! :)

You don't need to know how to draw well before enrolling into game design science. Art is part of the program, together with computer science, social science, math and game design modules. They will first introduce you to art through an art history module and then art 101 - basic drawing techniques, tools etc. I find the cross-discipline program with focus on game design really fun, enjoyable and at the same time useful. RTIS is a lot more hardcore, in regards to programming, math and physics, more focus into game engine programming and graphics rather than AI, level design and other aspects of games.

With regards to the pricing, the new prices will hike the total fees well above 70k, maybe near 80k. It is definitely a vast difference between that and the mainstream uni's - NUS SMU NTU, which cost about 6k+ for 2 terms if i'm not wrong, at least it was like that when i attended SMU.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top