General S-REITs Discussion Thread

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
I last bought FLCT at $0.905 and pleasantly surprised that it has gone up to $0.95. Hopefully can continue to climb so that I can breakeven (excl dividend, incl dividend I think I have just broken even) :ROFLMAO:
paid off la, your gamble. 6% dividends yours annually, congratulations, plus your five cents unrealised. This one the PB quite attractive. I monitor for a while first, if interest rates does not go up, i buy some. I very particular about PB. Those capitaland ones look very overpriced. I am not as optimistic as you, i think the boat will come back again, but even if FLCT goes to $1, still below PB 1, still can buy. Good catch huh you, next time can follow you,
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,069
paid off la, your gamble. 6% dividends yours annually, congratulations, plus your five cents unrealised. This one the PB quite attractive. I monitor for a while first, if interest rates does not go up, i buy some. I very particular about PB. Those capitaland ones look very overpriced. I am not as optimistic as you, i think the boat will come back again, but even if FLCT goes to $1, still below PB 1, still can buy. Good catch huh you, next time can follow you,

wow FLCT closed at $0.97 today.... $1 looks achievable! You are waiting for price to go to $1 then you buy? Interesting strategy. :cool:
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
wow FLCT closed at $0.97 today.... $1 looks achievable! You are waiting for price to go to $1 then you buy? Interesting strategy. :cool:
buy now, later interest rate goes up, how? you are lucky, but there are people who are not so lucky, they bought before 2021 and now still in the red, already 5 years, I don't want to end up like this. I want to at least wait for likelhood of inflation to subside. Now whole world is fearing for inflation. Elevated interest rate can be very fatal for Reits. FLCT gearing is 36%, so still got margin for error, but some already 40%.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,069
buy now, later interest rate goes up, how? you are lucky, but there are people who are not so lucky, they bought before 2021 and now still in the red, already 5 years, I don't want to end up like this. I want to at least wait for likelhood of inflation to subside. Now whole world is fearing for inflation. Elevated interest rate can be very fatal for Reits. FLCT gearing is 36%, so still got margin for error, but some already 40%.

excluding dividends, I am one of those investors who is in the red for FLCT for many years. Lucky I keep calm and collect 6-7 cents dividend a year. With dividends included I have broken even but of course underperformed other parts of my portfolio.

a lot of investors always say they are waiting for crash, but when crash come, they become more scared and say that the market will go even lower, and never buy. and then boat leave without them.

maybe you can post your target price for FLCT, how cheap then you will buy? then when it crashes to that price, I will remind you that you said you are buying, and check if you actually bought? :)
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,069
I bought some more at $1.05 today. Will queue for some more at $1.04 tomorrow. :D
Anyway, yesterday order filled at both 1.04 and 1.03. Today queuing at 1.02 ...:D
My buying prices shared in previous posts. This is all the way back from 2018. I accumulated between $1.00-$1.05, thinking it won't drop below $1.... But 6-7 cents dividend each year helped reduce the pain
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
excluding dividends, I am one of those investors who is in the red for FLCT for many years. Lucky I keep calm and collect 6-7 cents dividend a year. With dividends included I have broken even but of course underperformed other parts of my portfolio.

a lot of investors always say they are waiting for crash, but when crash come, they become more scared and say that the market will go even lower, and never buy. and then boat leave without them.

maybe you can post your target price for FLCT, how cheap then you will buy? then when it crashes to that price, I will remind you that you said you are buying, and check if you actually bought? :)
I won't be able to catch the cheapest, but i don't mind letting go a little bit. When the inflation risk is gone, which it will eventually, there is a lot of room for reits to run. Indexes all run like crazy recently, sti hit 5k record high, but reits was very lethargic. You cannot blame me for being frightened. You go hawker centre and coffee shop and see, prices start to increase, airtickets worse, increased so much, you watch news, whole world is complaining and expecting interest rate increase, otherwise minister gan won't give us $500 more voucher. Analysts saying reits are going to suffer in coming months.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
My buying prices shared in previous posts. This is all the way back from 2018. I accumulated between $1.00-$1.05, thinking it won't drop below $1.... But 6-7 cents dividend each year helped reduce the pain
yours not so bad, with 6-7 cents, you can break even within a few years, but if you go back the pages of this forum, people are complaining like 30-40% in the red. It won't feel good to be so deep underwater, and I don't want to experience this.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,069
I won't be able to catch the cheapest, but i don't mind letting go a little bit.
if you don't have a target price for buying the stock, most likely you aren't going to buy it at all. so maybe move on, and look at other counters :cool:
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
if you don't have a target price for buying the stock, most likely you aren't going to buy it at all. so maybe move on, and look at other counters :cool:
we cannot have a target price for a particular counter. There are bigger forces at play which is the interest rate. If you target 92 cents and then hyperinflation, 92 cents can fall all the way to 80 cents. Our attention should be the bigger force which is oil supply. I don't mind entering at less favourable price than yours, but i don't want to go into depression seeing 40% underwater, Don't worry. There appears to be a lot of room for reits to run once the interest rate curse is gone, eventually it will.
 

weng0202

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
7,662
Reaction score
2,488
we cannot have a target price for a particular counter. There are bigger forces at play which is the interest rate. If you target 92 cents and then hyperinflation, 92 cents can fall all the way to 80 cents. Our attention should be the bigger force which is oil supply. I don't mind entering at less favourable price than yours, but i don't want to go into depression seeing 40% underwater, Don't worry. There appears to be a lot of room for reits to run once the interest rate curse is gone, eventually it will.
There will always be macro events happening. If we just wait for things to "settle", we might never pull the trigger and start buying. Just DCA if you cannot find a time to start buying. Time in market is better than trying timing the market.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
There will always be macro events happening. If we just wait for things to "settle", we might never pull the trigger and start buying. Just DCA if you cannot find a time to start buying. Time in market is better than trying timing the market.
if a rate hike is imminent with high probability and we still plunge in, it is suicidal. The correlation between interest rates and reits perfomance is very strong that cannot be ignored. When rates hike, money market will do better and it is better to deploy the same funds there than to be stuck with a big drawdown. It can still fulfil your requirement of "time in market", just that the time is spent in a better performing market.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
Time in the market only works for the US indexes. Each time there is a crisis, S&P will recover with higher highs and aggressively. That cannot be said for STI. Since 2007 when it hits 3800, they were talking about 5000, almost 20 years later then it hits 5000. And from 3800 to 5000 is not even doubled. Which means more than 10 years STI is going nowhere. And for reits, it will not run like S&P, it is not a growth stock, people hold it is for the annual dividends.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,069
if a rate hike is imminent with high probability and we still plunge in, it is suicidal. The correlation between interest rates and reits perfomance is very strong that cannot be ignored. When rates hike, money market will do better and it is better to deploy the same funds there than to be stuck with a big drawdown. It can still fulfil your requirement of "time in market", just that the time is spent in a better performing market.

this is the first I hear that leaving your money in money market funds is considered 'time in market'.
you are obviously trying to time the market. Come I quote investopedia for you:
Market timing is the act of moving investment money in or out of a financial market—or switching funds between asset classes—based on predictive methods. If investors can accurately predict when the market will rise and fall, they can make trades to capitalize on those market movements and turn them into a profit.

but you are entitled to whatever investment strategy you want. Just let us know your returns... at the end of the day thats more important than the name you give your strategy...
 

apriliasiao

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2001
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
770
if a rate hike is imminent with high probability and we still plunge in, it is suicidal. The correlation between interest rates and reits perfomance is very strong that cannot be ignored. When rates hike, money market will do better and it is better to deploy the same funds there than to be stuck with a big drawdown. It can still fulfil your requirement of "time in market", just that the time is spent in a better performing market.
Money Market. I laff sia. Bruh... I'm pretty sure u will do well in this Money Market with your investment strategy and risk profile.
 

weng0202

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
7,662
Reaction score
2,488
if a rate hike is imminent with high probability and we still plunge in, it is suicidal. The correlation between interest rates and reits perfomance is very strong that cannot be ignored. When rates hike, money market will do better and it is better to deploy the same funds there than to be stuck with a big drawdown. It can still fulfil your requirement of "time in market", just that the time is spent in a better performing market.
Who can even predict whether there will be a rate hike or not. What if it falls instead of going up? That's why I say just DCA every month/quarterly and reinvests the dividends you receive. If you don't wanna choose one particular reit, you can also consider buying REIT ETF.
 

weng0202

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
7,662
Reaction score
2,488
I
Time in the market only works for the US indexes. Each time there is a crisis, S&P will recover with higher highs and aggressively. That cannot be said for STI. Since 2007 when it hits 3800, they were talking about 5000, almost 20 years later then it hits 5000. And from 3800 to 5000 is not even doubled. Which means more than 10 years STI is going nowhere. And for reits, it will not run like S&P, it is not a growth stock, people hold it is for the annual dividends.
I have bought REITs and held them for a few years. I'm getting like 14k of dividends and coupons from REITs and bonds. I reinvests all these to buy more REITs. Now buying into Lions REIT ETF so that I don't have to choose which REIT to buy and don't have to worry about rights issue.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
this is the first I hear that leaving your money in money market funds is considered 'time in market'.
you are obviously trying to time the market. Come I quote investopedia for you:


but you are entitled to whatever investment strategy you want. Just let us know your returns... at the end of the day thats more important than the name you give your strategy...
time in the market is not the term I used. It is a term used by weng. What I mean is that if the asset class looks likely not going to do well for time being, it is suicidal to throw money in. Instead we can have flexibility to move money to another asset class. The money is still in the market right? Just that it is in different asset type. Money market is not only cash or FD. They have short term bond ETFs. There are also BDCs around. These returns follow the rates. History has already shown us that reits suffer badly during elevated rates. It was just a few years ago. If you can tolerate a huge drawdown, then u can stick to reits. Unfortunately I cannot tahan too deep in red, just like many people.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
Money Market. I laff sia. Bruh... I'm pretty sure u will do well in this Money Market with your investment strategy and risk profile.
There are many different bond ETFs around. Money market does not refer only to cash and cash equivalent. They are of course not performing well now because rates have not risen yet. They are still drawing down on their oil stockpiles. Don't just laugh, it is not constructive at all, do you have a better suggestion?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top