General S-REITs Discussion Thread

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
Not all analysts work for brokerages.

For example ,I occasionally subscribe to Morningstar analyst reports. Maybe once or twice a year, I pay for 1 month of subscription - and I get access to the previous months' reports as well.

Since Morningstar reports are more a value-investing oriented focusing on FA, their conclusions usually don't change every month.
i saw the name morningstar appearing in forum, but don't know what it is. Thanks for telling me. Base on your description, I guess morningstar should be more objective than brokers, without any hidden agendas. You see, this is evidence that the community can provide very useful info. Of course I agree there are more noises than useful info, but the useful info that appears are very useful.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
hey people, what do think Long Bridge is safe? Very attractive, now they give life time commission free.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076
i saw the name morningstar appearing in forum, but don't know what it is. Thanks for telling me. Base on your description, I guess morningstar should be more objective than brokers, without any hidden agendas. You see, this is evidence that the community can provide very useful info. Of course I agree there are more noises than useful info, but the useful info that appears are very useful.
Many of my relatives are also not financially savvy.

But the good thing is that they don't depend on anonymous internet forums/social media/telegram chat to supplement their knowledge gap. when they ask me for advice (CNY coming up), I will recommend them some good internet resources and books to read. I won't tell them go to forum/telegram chat.

I have mentioned that I previously volunteered to conduct a financial planning/literacy course for a group of fresh grads, I provided them with these reputable resources and urge them not to get their financial info from social media.

Forums like this are mainly for entertainment value. :ROFLMAO:
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
Not all analysts work for brokerages.

For example ,I occasionally subscribe to Morningstar analyst reports. Maybe once or twice a year, I pay for 1 month of subscription - and I get access to the previous months' reports as well.

Since Morningstar reports are more a value-investing oriented focusing on FA, their conclusions usually don't change every month.
i just checked morningstar. All is ang mo ones. Don't have SGX listed ones.
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
i just checked morningstar. All is ang mo ones. Don't have SGX listed ones.
Can use DBS insights. But local analysts are cui one la. You just google the analysts name in LinkedIn. Most of them are like theory, bird talk analysts who have no track records to show. But ok if you got no time to do own analysis. Usually I rely on some reports from friends and family offices. They subscribe to some databases and get some real time, amdk reports. But some don’t cover SG.

One of my friend uses his own AI algorithm to monitor REITs. Some quite zhun because he warned me about Mapletree logistics and Mapletree industrial trust. But I backside itchy never really listen and dispose except to stop adding. Later can pick up cheap durians.
 

ask_yip

Master Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2013
Messages
2,869
Reaction score
1,269
Can use DBS insights. But local analysts are cui one la. You just google the analysts name in LinkedIn. Most of them are like theory, bird talk analysts who have no track records to show. But ok if you got no time to do own analysis. Usually I rely on some reports from friends and family offices. They subscribe to some databases and get some real time, amdk reports. But some don’t cover SG.

One of my friend uses his own AI algorithm to monitor REITs. Some quite zhun because he warned me about Mapletree logistics and Mapletree industrial trust. But I backside itchy never really listen and dispose except to stop adding. Later can pick up cheap durians.
hopes Mapletree and CapLand will merge and turn things around
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
wah you really need people to spoon feed you? some random links when i googled.

https://www.morningstar.com/company...ition-but-shares-not-cheap?listing=0P0000A67J

https://asiaapi.morningstar.com/ods_images/SES_D05_StockAnalystNote_20240807.pdf this one old report so not behind paywall.
i didn't know must use google search using key words morningstar + company reports + dbs, then it appears I go to its main website and saw that everything is amdk, When i search at website, some dbs news appeared below statistics, but these news were at least 1 month old. Maybe the latest is reserved for subscribers. They also don't cover some companies, eg. starhill.
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
Can use DBS insights. But local analysts are cui one la. You just google the analysts name in LinkedIn. Most of them are like theory, bird talk analysts who have no track records to show. But ok if you got no time to do own analysis. Usually I rely on some reports from friends and family offices. They subscribe to some databases and get some real time, amdk reports. But some don’t cover SG.

One of my friend uses his own AI algorithm to monitor REITs. Some quite zhun because he warned me about Mapletree logistics and Mapletree industrial trust. But I backside itchy never really listen and dispose except to stop adding. Later can pick up cheap durians.
some vloggers also do their own coverage, and they get their info also from these analysts, and perhaps even better because some vloggers themselves are also reits investors. Free and no need subscription. Gabriel yap look like not bad.

all 3 mapletrees like problematic, and 2 are not exactly cheap except for pan asia, but also like quite problematic. I think all 3 failed the criteria of consistent npi or dpu annual increase. Appears like there are better values on others with better Gear, PB, TTM trends etc.
 

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
some vloggers also do their own coverage, and they get their info also from these analysts, and perhaps even better because some vloggers themselves are also reits investors. Free and no need subscription. Gabriel yap look like not bad.

all 3 mapletrees like problematic, and 2 are not exactly cheap except for pan asia, but also like quite problematic. I think all 3 failed the criteria of consistent npi or dpu annual increase. Appears like there are better values on others with better Gear, PB, TTM trends etc.
Gabriel Yap is power investors. Met him twice. But his YouTube video not very useful. If you follow him and enter CapitaLand Acendas and Mapletree Pan Asia, you probably lose your pants because his video is late. Other YouTubers like Demi, Kelvin learn investing you want to follow them meh.

Seeing REITs do well, not well everyone knows how to see. The thing is about catching trends. Like future which will from dropping DPU to improving DPU. One of my power investor friend always say. If today fundamentals not cui, then it is not this price already. Want to buy strong fundamentals and earnings then overpay. He usually buy those turnaround companies and sometimes you must be able to catch them early
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,076
For example ,I occasionally subscribe to Morningstar analyst reports. Maybe once or twice a year, I pay for 1 month of subscription - and I get access to the previous months' reports as well.

Maybe the latest is reserved for subscribers. They also don't cover some companies, eg. starhill.

Like I said "subscribe" and "pay." Of course you have to pay for the good stuff. You say yourself that free analyst report from brokerage no good, just want you to buy buy buy😅

Which analyst covers all SGX stocks? of course morningstar will be selective and consider the trading volume/interest in the counter, because its in the business of making reports that people are willing to pay for.

https://dollarsandsense.sg/why-mas-paying-research-reports-stocks-singapore/

If MAS says they want to promote the local market and pay analysts to write reports, I won't be surprised if most of the reports say BUY BUY BUY.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top