(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
I ever tried before one at Clark Quay, where they brought in coffee from some famous roasters.

It's 10/10 sour, taste nothing like coffee and it's the worst espresso I ever had.
Closed already
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
anyone own a sette?

I recently got a Sette with the built in scale version. What would you like to know?

Very fast grinder, Weighing option is useful if you don't single dose and want to make quick shots. So far its accurate within +- 0.2g....

If single dosed, retention is between 0-0.3g which is very good for a electric grinder. The grounds go straight thru, there is no funnel or anti-static mesh to retain the grounds.
In comparison HG 1 retention is 0-0.1g with RDT.

The grind is very fluffy and easy to distribute. No need to WDT.

Baratza states that the grinds has a lack of fines but have yet to publish the particle distribution graphs for this yet.

Burrs are very easy to disassemble and clean.

Taste wise I can't comment yet. Still too early. I'll try with a difficult light roasted single origin and see how it performs.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Any place to order/buy non sour blends

Darker roasted low acidity stuff
Toby's estate - Wooloomooloo
Pacamara - RoadHouse blend (Not sure if they still bring this in)
St Ali - Orthodox
Sensory Lab - Steadfast
Coffee in a Place - Al Banco (very dark but roasted fresh and smells fragrant without being rancid. I think they use high quality beans. Classic espresso taste).

Go for washed coffee and darker roasts if you dislike acidity.


Sourness can be controlled to a very large extent. Some sourness a.k.a acidity is good for the balance. Acidity adds a dimension to the taste profile. Good controlled acidity should impart pleasant and interesting flavours (e.g. green apple, passion fruit, lemon, berries) without tasting too sour.

Pull 1:2.5-3 ratios, use higher temps, use VST baskets, grind finer, preinfuse longer to get a better balance if you think the espresso is sour.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Nylon guatemala blend not too sour. You need a bit of acidity or else it will be bitter and bland like Sumatra.

Exactly....acidity makes the coffee interesting. Good
Dark roasts with low acidity is enjoyable and easy to brew but can get boring.
 

erwinseow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Any place to order/buy non sour blends


Goto "homes to life" in 65 Mohamed Sultan Rd. Its a furniture shop. But inside.. there is a coffee tasting bar. Talk to the Barista there. I am sure they can recommend you beans based on your preference. :)
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
I recently got a Sette with the built in scale version. What would you like to know?

Very fast grinder, Weighing option is useful if you don't single dose and want to make quick shots. So far its accurate within +- 0.2g....

If single dosed, retention is between 0-0.3g which is very good for a electric grinder. The grounds go straight thru, there is no funnel or anti-static mesh to retain the grounds.
In comparison HG 1 retention is 0-0.1g with RDT.

The grind is very fluffy and easy to distribute. No need to WDT.

Baratza states that the grinds has a lack of fines but have yet to publish the particle distribution graphs for this yet.

Burrs are very easy to disassemble and clean.

Taste wise I can't comment yet. Still too early. I'll try with a difficult light roasted single origin and see how it performs.

Yours is the 270W ? How much u paid ? You got it from PPP?
I shortlisted the 270W but I decided to get the M80E

Thanks to all with the Kopi beans recommendations
I m pretty New in this hobby n hv been reading n watching vids on HB

Need to read up on VST baskets
I hv no clue wat it does
 
Last edited:

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Yours is the 270W ? How much u paid ? You got it from PPP?
I shortlisted the 270W but I decided to get the M80E

Thanks to all with the Kopi beans recommendations
I m pretty New in this hobby n hv been reading n watching vids on HB

Need to read up on VST baskets
I hv no clue wat it does

Yup mine is the "W" version. Likely I'll use it for work and keep the HG-1 for home use since I change blends often.

VST basket is marketed as having more precise hole sizes. Claims it will lead to a more even and higher extraction. VST baskets also have more holes than other portafilters so usually need to grind finer to slow down the flow rate.

I find VST baskets help with lighter roasts. The shot also has better body.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Yup mine is the "W" version. Likely I'll use it for work and keep the HG-1 for home use since I change blends often.

VST basket is marketed as having more precise hole sizes. Claims it will lead to a more even and higher extraction. VST baskets also have more holes than other portafilters so usually need to grind finer to slow down the flow rate.

I find VST baskets help with lighter roasts. The shot also has better body.

Thanks LT
I may consider the vst later till I m familiar with the basics n b able to differentiate its uses
U got ur 270w online or from ppp?

Am now having my americano at SB n quality is getting worse
So diluted like drinking water with a squirt of coffee-Flavoured ink
And it's $4.50!
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
Once you have the machine don't think u will want to drink americano anymore.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Thanks LT
I may consider the vst later till I m familiar with the basics n b able to differentiate its uses
U got ur 270w online or from ppp?

Am now having my americano at SB n quality is getting worse
So diluted like drinking water with a squirt of coffee-Flavoured ink
And it's $4.50!

Yup VST can always buy later. I find it to be the cheapest upgrade to make the coffee taste better but may not need depending on your machine or taste preference. My lever machine does not have VST baskets.

I got mine from Joe Curious and delivered next day. Very good service from them.

Starbucks is waking up realizing that coffee drinkers are more demanding now. So they have Starbucks reserve cafes which offer better coffee. Hopefully they convert all the current cafes to something better.

What they charge for their stale coffee in their cafes is daylight robbery.
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Once you have the machine don't think u will want to drink americano anymore.

I never like americano but my spouse enjoy coffee of all form from latte to pour over to Americano made with espresso ops maybe not espresso.

Anyway just tried roasting with nesco. Easier than a 🍿 Popper need a few more weekends to play around to narrow down a right time. Didnt like the cleaning part.

1st batch 24mins - more like French roast imho
2nd batch 22 - full city+
20mins closer to what I typically order at 412f but not there
 
Last edited:

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
I never like americano but my spouse enjoy coffee of all form from latte to pour over to Americano made with espresso ops maybe not espresso.

Anyway just tried roasting with nesco. Easier than a �� Popper need a few more weekends to play around to narrow down a right time. Didnt like the cleaning part.

1st batch 24mins - more like French roast imho
2nd batch 22 - full city+
20mins closer to what I typically order at 412f but not there


what is a nesco? a dehydrator??
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top