(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
I was at Chinese Swimming Club for lunch this afternoon and I ordered a double espresso. I seem to regret my decision as I felt the espresso may not be palatable thinking that it will be sour and/or v bitter
Surprisingly, it didn't turn out that bad
Not sour and a tinge of sweetness

Not as bad as I expected
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,354
Reaction score
15,804
Coffee is really up to individual, but by right should be balanced between the sourness and bitterness.
Some really like it very strong while some hipsters love it to be as sour as a lemon.

I find that most people like it dark and they seem to me easier to keep for a longer time.
You can control it to be not too bitter by pulling shorter, lower the temperature, use more coffee, etc.
One coffee itself, can transform to many types of profile.
 

erwinseow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
I recently got a Sette with the built in scale version. What would you like to know?

Very fast grinder, Weighing option is useful if you don't single dose and want to make quick shots. So far its accurate within +- 0.2g....

If single dosed, retention is between 0-0.3g which is very good for a electric grinder. The grounds go straight thru, there is no funnel or anti-static mesh to retain the grounds.
In comparison HG 1 retention is 0-0.1g with RDT.

The grind is very fluffy and easy to distribute. No need to WDT.

Baratza states that the grinds has a lack of fines but have yet to publish the particle distribution graphs for this yet.

Burrs are very easy to disassemble and clean.

Taste wise I can't comment yet. Still too early. I'll try with a difficult light roasted single origin and see how it performs.

Hi LT,

Can I check if you can do a higher dose 18g-20g) for the Sette?

I saw some youtube videos and it looks like there is little headroom between the portafilter and the opening. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hi LT,

Can I check if you can do a higher dose 18g-20g) for the Sette?

I saw some youtube videos and it looks like there is little headroom between the portafilter and the opening. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Yes you are right. There is little head room. Even with VST baskets which is deeper than stock 15g/18g baskets sometimes the mound of coffee may hit the exit chute.

I did a few tests and so far even if it hits the chute the weight reading is accurate i.e. 13.5g measured by settle is also about 13.5g measured on a separate weighing scale.

But sometimes the mound may drop and you may get some grounds spilling.

When I use the cremina which has a small 49mm portafilter, the mound will definitely spill.

So I guess if you are using with 58mm size portafilter its generally ok if you use VST baskets.

Alternatively you can use the dosing container that comes with it.

Very happy with the sette so far. The grounds are very fluffy and it seems there are very little fines. Its easy to distribute and tamp after that.

If you set 13g on the preset you may get between 12.5g to 13.5g after grinding if you don't single dose. This is because during grinding there is some vibrations that lessens the accuracy of the built in scale. But 0.5g difference is not too bad especially you are going for speed and need to make back to back shots.

If you intend to single dose all the time then you can save some money and get the non weight version.

I measured retention when you single dose and its between 0.3-0.5g depending on the type of bean.

Burrs are very easy to remove and clean.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
what is a nesco? a dehydrator??

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/nesco-coffee-roaster
http://www.nesco.com/products/Small-Appliances/Coffee-Preparation-Roasting-Grinding-and-Brewing/Coffee-Bean-Roaster-Pro-Series/
 

erwinseow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Yes you are right. There is little head room. Even with VST baskets which is deeper than stock 15g/18g baskets sometimes the mound of coffee may hit the exit chute.

I did a few tests and so far even if it hits the chute the weight reading is accurate i.e. 13.5g measured by settle is also about 13.5g measured on a separate weighing scale.

But sometimes the mound may drop and you may get some grounds spilling.

When I use the cremina which has a small 49mm portafilter, the mound will definitely spill.

So I guess if you are using with 58mm size portafilter its generally ok if you use VST baskets.

Alternatively you can use the dosing container that comes with it.

Very happy with the sette so far. The grounds are very fluffy and it seems there are very little fines. Its easy to distribute and tamp after that.

If you set 13g on the preset you may get between 12.5g to 13.5g after grinding if you don't single dose. This is because during grinding there is some vibrations that lessens the accuracy of the built in scale. But 0.5g difference is not too bad especially you are going for speed and need to make back to back shots.

If you intend to single dose all the time then you can save some money and get the non weight version.

I measured retention when you single dose and its between 0.3-0.5g depending on the type of bean.

Burrs are very easy to remove and clean.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Appreciate it.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,354
Reaction score
15,804
Hi LT,

Can I check if you can do a higher dose 18g-20g) for the Sette?

I saw some youtube videos and it looks like there is little headroom between the portafilter and the opening. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
qeDlKOv.png
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Oh yeah I forgot about the weighing function :p
I guess you have to limit your dosage to 18gm?
It's a pity the portafilter handles can't be adjusted downwards

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

Using VST baskets the head room is sufficient to what the basket is rated for. Sometimes the mound will collapse but I guess this is normal with most grinders. With stock baskets It depends and have to test.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Am in a dilemma and I thought I finally decided what I wanted
Was convinced to get either a bz10 instead of a Magica but price diff is only $100
One is E61 and the other is proprietary
Anyway I think I will get the one with the smallest footprint
QuamarM80E is onz
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Just paid FCC for the order of BZ13PM and the Quamar M80E grinder.
Excited....looking for beans to test out the grinder
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Just paid FCC for the order of BZ13PM and the Quamar M80E grinder.
Excited....looking for beans to test out the grinder

Get some cheap beans first to practice

Then get the good beans. Get a dark and light/medium roasts to compare what temps are needed to get the best out of the machine. Do give a review of the quarmar!
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Just paid FCC for the order of BZ13PM and the Quamar M80E grinder.
Excited....looking for beans to test out the grinder

Just wondering why choose the BZ13 over the BZ10, i see the specs seems to be the same except i think you got a automated timed dosage?

I am also planning to get a machine, was deciding between E61 or BZ series, but i think i am going for the BZ series because of the smaller size and faster warm up time.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Get some cheap beans first to practice

Then get the good beans. Get a dark and light/medium roasts to compare what temps are needed to get the best out of the machine. Do give a review of the quarmar!

cheap beans as in supermarket ones?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,354
Reaction score
15,804
Today need to meet a customer at Starbucks.

They have this speciality coffee thingy.
From reserved estates that you can choose extraction from chemex, pour over or a machine call Clover.

I thought the machine will taste better with better temp and pressure control. The guy said the machine will prevent underextraction. It's crap man.

Taste like a typical kopi o.

I asked for a Brazillian Yellow Bourbon, typically sweet in the aftertaste and mellow. I find nothing related in there.

Hack it uses 40grams of coffee to make a shot. :s22:
Don't dare to take more caffeine back in office.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top