(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
cheap beans as in supermarket ones?

Yup. Get cheap or stale ones to practise dosing and distributing. Taste one or 2. Then use good beans that has also been rested (at leave 5-7 days post roast date). Dial in. And taste the glorious differences.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
I've never done distribution before and worked out of the box.
Only had to figure the first grind setting.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Shiok
BZ13 n m80e delivered today
No beans yet
Look intimidating just looking at the hardware
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Shiok
BZ13 n m80e delivered today
No beans yet
Look intimidating just looking at the hardware

Enjoy! do take some pics of your beauties and share with us.

Grinder might need some seasoning before its stable. Remember to get a 0.1 gram scale too.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
I used a $2 daiso scale with no 0.1g and did well enough in my first calibration.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I have the hario v60 drip scale
Is this good enuf?

Should be ok if it can fit into the drip tray. Just be careful with getting the scale wet. I've spoilt 4 scales because I got them wet.

Can consider brewista or acaia lunar for water resistant scales.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
Where can I find decent medium roast coffee, a little fruity that is not expensive and can be kept for more than 2 weeks with minimal distortion?

Preferably can be ordered online.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Bought 2x 250g beans from IKEA
Set up M80E
Will start grinding over the weekend to get the right settings
Default M80E setting is Single dose 3sec, double 6sec and triple 9sec
Will need to adjust timings for Single and double
For a start I will use th single and double basket with the dual spout portafilter
Will use the bottomless pf later
Now practice grinding, distribution and tamping
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Should be ok if it can fit into the drip tray. Just be careful with getting the scale wet. I've spoilt 4 scales because I got them wet.

Can consider brewista or acaia lunar for water resistant scales.

Thanks
Just bought the brewista from papa
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
doing home roasting now interested to know about coffee varieties and their taste profile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coffee_varieties
https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/varieties/
https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Variety_reprint_May06.pdf

blog_flavor_mountain.jpg
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
Bought 2x 250g beans from IKEA
Set up M80E
Will start grinding over the weekend to get the right settings
Default M80E setting is Single dose 3sec, double 6sec and triple 9sec
Will need to adjust timings for Single and double
For a start I will use th single and double basket with the dual spout portafilter
Will use the bottomless pf later
Now practice grinding, distribution and tamping
Bought before the Ikea coffee, didn't had any good results in the extraction, it's very thin.

That was a few years back.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Bought before the Ikea coffee, didn't had any good results in the extraction, it's very thin.

That was a few years back.

True can't expect much from $6/250g beans
Buying cheap beans to calibrate the grinder
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
You won't always get good results with $16/200g beans though.

When you calibrate your grinder, the coffee must be decent enough else you won't know when is it right.
The last time I used the Ikea beans, it had almost no crema no matter what I tried. I think they have some new beans, not sure if it's better.
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
15,795
Thinking of trying the Gachala from Tiong Hoe.
It's $45 per kg under subscription. Comes in 500g bags.
Size is nice.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
You won't always get good results with $16/200g beans though.

When you calibrate your grinder, the coffee must be decent enough else you won't know when is it right.
The last time I used the Ikea beans, it had almost no crema no matter what I tried. I think they have some new beans, not sure if it's better.

will take note of the no crema Ikea beans

Was at espressocups yesterday and had a good chat with the owner Martin; a nice pleasant chap.
bought some cups and accessories from him.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top