(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Not much on the Kelvin except that it contains plastic materials, which I'm not a fan of on a roaster. And on the video, the fan seems to blow the beans straight up rather than circlulate them around. Which could potentially lead to uneven roasting.

This is a much better roaster imo.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...your-own-kitchen-with-the-power?ref=discovery
Better materials, no plastics. One of the updates shows the complete video of the roasting process, which the Kelvin roaster is lacking.

Regarding the timer on the roaster, I feel it is better not having one on a roaster designed for newbies. Having a timer encourages the user to walk away from the roasting process. Which is a really bad/dangerous practice.

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT

hmm thanks for your feedback. I might get the power roaster when it is being sold in stores and i have decided not the get the kelvin already after reading the comments where the company seems shady in responding to questions about putting out a video of the whole roasting process with a stopwatch in the video. Looks to me like it is still in development.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
hmm thanks for your feedback. I might get the power roaster when it is being sold in stores and i have decided not the get the kelvin already after reading the comments where the company seems shady in responding to questions about putting out a video of the whole roasting process with a stopwatch in the video. Looks to me like it is still in development.


if there is a local store for U to check the varies roaster is best.
kickstarter projects runs into all kind of risk all the time from small biz.

with 635% funded (> $250K) you have alot ppl investigating into the product. For those who are real skeptical they should just canceling funding. There is no refund for kickstarter.

Power Roaster has 17 days to go (~85% funded), I hope it reaches its target else there may not have a product on the shelf.
 

derrick_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
5,618
Reaction score
18
Hi guys,

I am a coffee noob here but my wife is passionate about coffee and I am looking to get her a coffee machine for our new home. :)

I tried reading from page 290++ but I still have no idea what you guys are on about pid, hx etc.

All I got is Bezzera BZ10 + some grinder is a good choice.

Can any kind souls help me out and explain some of the acronyms here + ideal temperate for coffee + maintenance involved for Bezzera BZ10?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,347
Reaction score
15,787
BZ10 has no pid, my BZ13 has a pid and I hardly used it. Pid is a temperature controller, you can push up and down the temp which influences the taste of the coffee by a bit. If the bag of coffee taste like crap to you, it won't do much magic. :o

For cleaning, just back flush with hot water after the last cup and do with grouphead detergent once a week.

You can unscrew the screen and clean the head but mine was pretty clean with my routine so I only do it once every 6 months. I will replace the gasket at the same time.

If the machine idled for sometime, flush for a few seconds till the great amount of steam are gone. I normally flush for less than 3 secs.

Nothing complicated. :o
 

derrick_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
5,618
Reaction score
18
BZ10 has no pid, my BZ13 has a pid and I hardly used it. Pid is a temperature controller, you can push up and down the temp which influences the taste of the coffee by a bit. If the bag of coffee taste like crap to you, it won't do much magic. :o

For cleaning, just back flush with hot water after the last cup and do with grouphead detergent once a week.

You can unscrew the screen and clean the head but mine was pretty clean with my routine so I only do it once every 6 months. I will replace the gasket at the same time.

If the machine idled for sometime, flush for a few seconds till the great amount of steam are gone. I normally flush for less than 3 secs.

Nothing complicated. :o

Thank you!

Any recommendation on where I can get the BZ10?

:)
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
No offence but i think BZ10 is too expensive, Nespresso machine i think is better? just sharing my thoughts :)

:s13::s13::s13: Same goes to branded goods, super cars, Condo/Landed, Private Schools.....

For coffee we can always go back to instant 3 in 1, Kopitiam kopi. When there are no other option, I'll go for these, even Nespresso. But I think folks here takes coffee more than just a drink but an overall experience.


PS: Even with Nespresso, the Capsules cost will creep up eventually.
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
:s13::s13::s13: Same goes to branded goods, super cars, Condo/Landed, Private Schools.....

For coffee we can always go back to instant 3 in 1, Kopitiam kopi. When there are no other option, I'll go for these, even Nespresso. But I think folks here takes coffee more than just a drink but an overall experience.


PS: Even with Nespresso, the Capsules cost will creep up eventually.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1201831417/worlds-first-one-stop-capsule-maker-creating-new-t

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waycap/waycap-ez-refillable-coffee-capsule-for-nespresso
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7

The problem with these refillable capsules is its too inconsistent, fumbling thru the grinds settings, dosage, different coffee types , low temperature extraction (those reusable pods are thicker stainless steel, acting like a heat sink), now with nespresso capsules at a all time low, cannot imagine why would anybody go thru the refillable path.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,347
Reaction score
15,787
Not sure if the Nespresso's "espresso" is actually considered an espresso, just because it has some crema.

From Wiki and Italian Espresso Institute on what's an espresso.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso
http://www.espressoitaliano.org/files/File/istituzionale_inei_hq_en.pdf

It says the extraction should get about 25 ml in 25 seconds.


This is Nespresso, which you will get about 40ml in about 10 seconds.


That is considered underextraction. That's why the crema for all Nespresso's espresso, is always very pale.

Anyway, when I was at Tokyo and Germany, Nespresso's stores are already very quiet and empty. Many years ago, the queue was lining till outside. Reports say that their sales are dropping quite badly and they are starting to sell in marts. :(
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
sales slow down
https://www.ft.com/content/d2e13c38-f418-11e6-8758-6876151821a6
http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fbdc5a3cc-f46b-11e6-95ee-f14e55513608
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Based on my observations, during nespresso peak, nespresso the branding was seen an object of desire, much like many branded goods and it was the coolest thing to own with all the advertising and such.. My friends who are non coffee drinkers were buying it for their homes, which till date has been collecting dust. Now that the novelty has worn off, i guess their sales are taking a hit.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Non coffee drinker owning one?
Not going to change them to become drinkers
As with all decorations they collect dust

Their patent also expired, the new capsule still have a patent but no incentive to upgrade
 
Last edited:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
27,508
Reaction score
47
OK back to some superautomatic love. I've serviced my superautos. FYI, I have a DeLonghi at home and a Solis Palazzo which is basically a Gaggia/Saeco/Phillips in the office.

OK some thoughts on them. In terms of servicing, I would say the brew unit is pretty robust. Both can be serviced easily if buy that orange/red rubber ring and other stuff.

Some Cafiza if you want to splurge or just plain old washing soda if you are on a budget, you got a nicely cleaned brew unit with much life in it.

Now so far these two are used units and their water heating components are OK. Just remember to descale them using citric acid every 6 months and you are good to go. The other thing to get is some food safe silicone grease. You can get a big tube of Dow Molykote that will last you a long time. Some spare parts sellers will include a small tube of grease.

As for grinders, this I would say the Gaggia/Saeco/Phillips units have an edge over the DeLonghi units. The grinders are very accessible and clearing them of gunk if you happen to make the mistake of using very oily beans is easy. Not so for the DeLonghi unit.

Further to this, the Gaggia/Saeco/Phillips units usually come with a wand and frothing milk with it is a breeze. DeLonghi usually comes with a capuccinotore which isn't that great.

As for beans, I suggest just using the Patar beans from Ikea. Cheap and good. $6 for 250g. FYI, Tiong Hoe Specialty Coffee nearby which I must say has great beans, cheapest is $12.50 for 250g.

If you have someone at home who just wants to press a button for coffee and you don't want the Nespresso, get a superautomatic. Just make sure you wash and service it regularly.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Just to add on , if you looking for fresh and decently priced beans you could try http://www.santino.com.sg/santino-coffee/ , you may need to hit a certain amount for free shipping, but as i leave near their roastery i usually pop over to buy a few packs each time.Their pricing is around 10-15 bucks per 500 grams depending on which range you pick.

Tried the ikea beans, found it too stale for my liking as compared to Santino beans.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
Just an update of machine, just got myself an upgrade to La Marzocco Linea Mini!

Still need sometime to get used to the work flow, and the crazy steam is really very strong.

Something of a nuance as well is, since the working space of the Linea Mini is very compact (between the brew head to the drip tray), I find myself keep getting burn from touching the brew head. Also the Stainless Steel portafilter retain heat too well, its burning hot too....

Overall its a b*tch to relearn the process, but the feel of the whole machine is very robust, built like a tank, no flimsy part e.t.c. This gonna stay in the kitchen for much longer!
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Just an update of machine, just got myself an upgrade to La Marzocco Linea Mini!

Overall its a b*tch to relearn the process, but the feel of the whole machine is very robust, built like a tank, no flimsy part e.t.c. This gonna stay in the kitchen for much longer!

Just longer not forever? You are machine chaser
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Just an update of machine, just got myself an upgrade to La Marzocco Linea Mini!

Still need sometime to get used to the work flow, and the crazy steam is really very strong.

Something of a nuance as well is, since the working space of the Linea Mini is very compact (between the brew head to the drip tray), I find myself keep getting burn from touching the brew head. Also the Stainless Steel portafilter retain heat too well, its burning hot too....

Overall its a b*tch to relearn the process, but the feel of the whole machine is very robust, built like a tank, no flimsy part e.t.c. This gonna stay in the kitchen for much longer!

Nice! Were you using the strega previously? How does it compare? I understand the LM does not have any options to play around with shot, its a rather straight forward machine.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top