(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
The commercial ones I seen at my local roaster is a giant popcorn popper. The refinement is not time but temp to determine when to stop roasting

If one is drinking 4lbs a week finding a cheap toaster is just hard.
Sourcing greens locally is another issue. maybe hard to buy in small quantities.
http://blendnew.com/consumer/product-category/coffee/green-coffee-beans/
http://www.berocoffee.com.sg/services/greencoffee

HS coffee sells green and it appear they can roast beans/blends to your desire specs
https://www.hscoffeebean.com/arabica-coffee-beans/green-coffee-beans.html

buy over taobao the shipping of such heavy machine cost will be high. the size and ventilation is impt consideration
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...JE8Lm&id=535283255113&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

TB2EMhxrCFjpuFjSspbXXXagVXa_!!2904089699.jpg



must give credit to apicius
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-coffee-related/30178-singapore-coffee-resources.html
- Nylon was my regular roasted bean source, simply because they roast to order. Nobody else guaranteed it. I was buying from Yahava mentioned above until they shipped me beans 15 days stale. They have great single origins that rotate every few weeks, the roaster is really well known in the community, etc. Why did I stop? The prices inched up by something like 50% since my first order, following the rest of the market. I had a look right now and you're looking at $20-23 per 250g. And looking for alternatives, I discovered (through a recommendation)...

- Tiong Hoe: the owner is apparently the grandaddy of Singaporean roasters. They have the cheapest price I've found for fresh roasted beans, by including cheaper origins - starting at $12 per 250g; they also have rarer stuff for ten times that. They roast several times a week, if not daily - but check with them before ordering online to make sure you get the fresh stuff, I've seen 14 days old bags on their shelf and received a 7 day old order (which they argued, to be fair, was better after this much resting - and again I know I am in the minority in preferring 1-4 days old). This is the only reliable source of monsooned malabar I've found in Singapore, and theirs is a real winner and always part of my orders. The cafe itself, at the bottom of a large housing estate, is also worth visiting. The attention to detail is almost perfect; I would just prefer if they warmed the beaker before doing the pourover as it ends up a few degrees cooler than ideal. Tiong Hoe is my current mail order option and has been for a few months.

- Geisha: I hesitate to recommend this tiny shop in Rochor mostly because it is so unreliably open, but it is crazy in a kind of awesome way. I've had the owner tell me he was closed at least 3 times. But he is absolutely a passionate expert, with encyclopaedic knowledge of his art. He doesn't speak much English, only mandarin, and if his wife is not there hello sign language (Google Translate can also help). I brought them 2kg of green beans and the owner literally took a week to experiment with them until he was sure the roast was perfect for them, at which point he did the whole thing and bagged it for me for $50, whilst explaining exactly how the farm had failed to wash the beans properly and making me taste it side by side with his own single origin from the same island (he was right). The cafe is named after the Panama varietal we know and love, and you can have a pourover of it for $17. Espresso shots are the cheapest of all the good cafes at a mere $2, and naturally excellent. The pourover is the most careful I've witnessed, with beaker warmed, filter warmed, and careful pouring guaranteeing a very reliable cup. Beans for normal single origins are around $17-25 per 250g which is the market rate. There is no menu, you ask him what he has and hopefully he has roasted something you like recently - my last purchase was Kenyan AA. Geisha replaces Tiong Hoe when I'm in a rush. I cannot rely on Geisha for regular supplies, my mandarin is inexistent and I just have no idea what he intends to roast, when, or whether it will be open when I walk over. But if you're serious about coffee you have to visit.

- 7Kickstart: this one is only for the amateurs of very strong roasts. I have stopped going because the roasts are too close to the second crack for my taste, on all varietals, even the "mild" roasted ones. The roaster also likes to pick "stinky" varietals which makes me think he or she is local ("kopi" is defined by overroasted pungent beans). However, google some photos of this place and you will get the idea. Aside from offering the usual assortment of espresso and pourover drinks and roasted and green beans, they have a nitro pour ($7) and cold drip. The food is strange. Not bad necessarily, just a chef with a palate that is quite different from the usual brunch cafe-roaster arrangement. Think orange mayo on your burger. Big portions. Actually, typing this up makes me want to go back.

Then there are the 4/5s. Common Man is the Lavazza of fresh roasted coffee, served by a ton of places that aren't called Common Man (but the reputation is deserved). I don't buy beans there because the roast schedule is too infrequent, although I have in the past when I got lucky. Great place for brunch. Oriole has been mentioned over and over, personally I avoid it due to stratospheric pricing and a packed and unfriendly atmosphere; service is friendly but always slow due to the crowd, and I just don't get the hype. Every time I've talked to a recruiter in CBD it was at Jewel, and it's not bad, about equivalent to a decent local cafe in Sydney but not reaching the heights of Mecca or Gumption. Chye Seng Huat is very hip (and a LBGT+ cruise spot at night, I think), but both their beer and coffee leaves a bit to be desired; I feel it's more of a place to be seen than to drink, although you will get your piccolo latte and highly hopped ultra bitter IPA. Stranger's Reunion I have been only once but the piccolo latter was good. Montana Brew Bar used to be my neighbourhood cafe of choice before I discovered Geisha; I think they have suffered from expanding the space and the menu, and the interesting options like the Gibraltar ($4) have disappeared for more mainstream assortments of cappuccino and so on (but they will make it for you on request). Tiong Bahru Bakery (City Hall, Tiong Bahru - both places are fine, the latter more knowledgeable) pours a surprisingly decent shot I think from Common Man, and of course the pastries and bread are why you are here (try the Kouign Amman). The Coffee Academics look superficially great but again I felt a lack of passion, perhaps due to the ultra premium locations and large crowds. Maison Ikkoku is another roaster-cocktail bar with very high reputation, somewhat deserved, for both; I was satisfied with my beans but it's such a pain to walk around that part of town in the heat that I've only bought there once. Nearby A.R.C. (Academy Roastery Cafe) trains baristas and cares, although again nothing roasted on the day so I've only had coffee there, not bought beans.
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,348
Reaction score
15,791
I looked at the Taobao models before.

The link has two types, one is gas, and one is via electric.
Via gas, not sure if it's compatible with our gas cylinders, and how safe it is is another qn.

The other is via electric. 4800watts will mean drawing so much amp, you will probably need a 3 phase setting and hire a LEW to hard wire it. Gonna use up a lot of power.

My staff went to order from one of the green suppliers and tried roasting with a pan before.
It actually more or less worked but the fumes released was crazy, and it keeps gassing out for days. That's when I googled and noted the fume is very bad for the lungs. Also noticed that the greens are not very consistent in size, this can't be good quality cause it means that there's no QC or grading. I know this from one of my Indo clients who happen to own coffee estates in Sumatra. :o
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Well your staff need to check if she or he order graded beans. Order ungraded or lower grade complain is not just.
Or just don’t buy from that supplier if it’s 1st grade and poor quality

Roaster there are those that don’t make so much smell. But I think they cost like usd$30k just to roast 1-10lb!!! Large volume just buy roasted beans in bulk will be cheaper. The equipment just too costly.

Home roaster to spend usd$150-300 that’s still reasonable
 
Last edited:

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
i bought this

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-15852328436.59.5d9a542ekLp0SG&id=530893822475

coupled with thermo probes to artisan, and you can get very impressive roasts. Suddenly a whole new side of coffee opens up when you do your own roast + its really fun. Total cost less den 300 sgd. Temperature feedback is extremely important if you planning on getting the best out of the beans.

Did a review on lowyat

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4342996&st=60&p=86952913&#entry86952913
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
Very nice, self experimental is always a fun journey with something you like.

From the above posts about SG roasters, I've only sticked with Perk coffee just because I've not found other that I liked (individual preference).

Those cafe + roaster, even Nylon, I don't really appreciate their beans as well as they mostly cater to non-espresso community. And again, cost.

Lam yeo on the other hand seems to offer the cheapest and consistent roast so far! Though a bit out of the way...
 

Mason016

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Any recommendation for electric espresso grinder to match a cremina for home use?

Prefer ability to single dose, low grind retention, doseless. Limited cabinet height so Mazzer SJ height cannot.

Thanks many many.
:D
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Any recommendation for electric espresso grinder to match a cremina for home use?

Prefer ability to single dose, low grind retention, doseless. Limited cabinet height so Mazzer SJ height cannot.

Thanks many many.
:D

U can try Niche Grinder, shipping in June, seems to fit your requirements..
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Big burr single dosing grinder, ticks all the boxes for me..

I pre-ordered one myself, the grinder market is sorely lacking a good reasonable priced single dosing grinder.

The other options are like in the thousands...
 

Mason016

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
U can try Niche Grinder, shipping in June, seems to fit your requirements..

Thanks, looks interesting. Though I'm looking at a more immediate purchase.

Wonder if the rest of the coffee folk here have opinions on Baratza grinders?
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Hi all... is chikyblink still around? anyone who had tried ordering espresso machines from espressocoffeesho.com or elektros.it? care to share experience? had already read thru this thread... seems like only chiky n kathryn are aware..
i bought from espressocoffeeshop in early 2015 and the experience was quite good overall. Paid no taxes on their website but when shipped over was charged gst. Got a rancilio silvia and macap m4 machine from them. At the time i bought it, they used TNT shipping service and they actually shipped the rancilio silvia to me first and then the macap m4 separately. Called them a couple of times to check on the delivery and TNT responded well. Tracking service was good too.

On the issue of warranty, my rancilio had an electricity leaking problem (i was feeling some pulses of electricity when touching the metal parts of the machine) and didn't bother to try to claim warranty or service because 1) warranty probably wasn't avail in sg and 2) it was about 3 years since i got the machine so even if there was warranty it probably would've expired. So i searched online and found out that spinelli was the importer or rancilio machines in sg and emailed them to see if they do servicing and they did. So i brought it to their workshop space somewhere in woodlands and they repaired it for about 200+. Labour fee was $80 and the rest was spare parts fees.

Overall, experience was good and i can vouch for espressocoffeeshop being a reliable website in shipping their product but only if u do not mind not having warranty service. It can be an option if they stock machines that is not available in Singapore.

Do take note to check that the machine u buy is in 240V because they are a european company. Also, the machines i received had a European plug head but they gave an 3pin plug adapter that u can stick on to the plug head. U have to state that u want it somewhere in the checkout page tho.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
finally a roaster that is under us$300.
120g roast in 6mins on 1300W that is powerful for US$260.
np control roast time so how to control roast level? if ppl who want french roast how to do it? put less beans thats my guess.
I like the concept to have beans just enough for 2-3 days for those 120g machines but I am lazy to bring them out so I roast 3-4 batch at a time to last me a week.

no cleaning at all, there is always oil from the beans that would stick to chamber isn't it? at least on my cheap nesco I can see that and would have to clean. nesco needs rest time or it will break and it does not support 220V.

another competitor http://kelvinroaster.com/ coming to kickstarter to https://www.kickstarter.com/project...your-own-kitchen-with-the-power?ref=discovery coming up. almost same price pt doing same 120g.

Hi guys, any of u can comment on the kelvin roaster product? I have 0 knowledge on roasting and was not interested but saw this product on kickstarter and was considering to get it considering its price point. Reason for getting it is because i can roast my own beans on demand so beans would not go stale so quickly. I drink maybe 3-4 cups a week only if no guests comes to my house so a retail 250g bag would go stale by the time i finish it.

Therefore, this might be a good alternative to buying retail beans as i can roast 120-ish grams of coffee a time for consumption.

Also, how steep is the learning curve for roasting?
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Not much on the Kelvin except that it contains plastic materials, which I'm not a fan of on a roaster. And on the video, the fan seems to blow the beans straight up rather than circlulate them around. Which could potentially lead to uneven roasting.

This is a much better roaster imo.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...your-own-kitchen-with-the-power?ref=discovery
Better materials, no plastics. One of the updates shows the complete video of the roasting process, which the Kelvin roaster is lacking.

Regarding the timer on the roaster, I feel it is better not having one on a roaster designed for newbies. Having a timer encourages the user to walk away from the roasting process. Which is a really bad/dangerous practice.

Sent from Xiaomi MI A1 using GAGT
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Hi guys, any of u can comment on the kelvin roaster product? I have 0 knowledge on roasting and was not interested but saw this product on kickstarter and was considering to get it considering its price point. Reason for getting it is because i can roast my own beans on demand so beans would not go stale so quickly. I drink maybe 3-4 cups a week only if no guests comes to my house so a retail 250g bag would go stale by the time i finish it.

Therefore, this might be a good alternative to buying retail beans as i can roast 120-ish grams of coffee a time for consumption.

Also, how steep is the learning curve for roasting?

I don’t like both products. I used a nesco and it has a timer. I walk away from it all the time. I roast 520gm for a week, 130gm each time.

Learning curve is like 3-4 tries. Issue with my roaster is clean up and roasting next batch after one is done. Summer vs winter roast time varies for me. I would love to get a Behmor 1600 should it break down.

Something like this will work for a newbie, not a lot of investment
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32822847994.html?pid=808_0000_0209&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32822847994
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32849005652.html?pid=808_0000_0209&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32849005652
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top