(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

darkevil

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
1,300
Reaction score
4
I just got my dedica machine. Was looking to switch it to bottomless portafilter.
Is there any recommendation of grinder to get?

saw many rave about Niche. But too high end for me.

shortlisted a few more such as
Sette 270
Smart grinder pro
 

arsene

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
371
Reaction score
8
I just got my dedica machine. Was looking to switch it to bottomless portafilter.
Is there any recommendation of grinder to get?

saw many rave about Niche. But too high end for me.

shortlisted a few more such as
Sette 270
Smart grinder pro
Can try Eureka Mignon Specialita.
 

needsomeadvice

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
25,376
Reaction score
50,236
thinking about hooting a niche grinder... anyone knows if there are any alternatives to it recently? lagom mini don't seem promising :frown:

also.. anyone used a uniterra nomad before?
 
Last edited:

IAmNiceify

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
671
Reaction score
12
I just got my dedica machine. Was looking to switch it to bottomless portafilter.
Is there any recommendation of grinder to get?

saw many rave about Niche. But too high end for me.

shortlisted a few more such as
Sette 270
Smart grinder pro
Can get eureka mignon line up:

Manuale 50mm bur no timer
Silenzio 50mm bur timer and silent technology
Specialita 55m bur timer/touchscreen and silent technology
 

Bryannse07

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Any idea where i can get the La Marzocco Linea Mini ?
Or does only Tangs / Direct from LM works for SG.
Tangs have them at $7699 sgd
 

IAmNiceify

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
671
Reaction score
12
how about hand grinder?
Any recommendation?
1ZPresso, there is a few model to choose if you want to do espresso or not. Any good hand grinder can beat those entry level espresso electrical grinder. Personally i will never get a hand grinder as it will take too much time and grinding for friends/family member will be very tedious.
 

tomasulu

Banned
Joined
Sep 21, 2000
Messages
14,620
Reaction score
4,034
Alright guys, help needed.

figuring out which machine is better, I'm thinking of upgrading my current set up.

1. decent espresso
2. lelit bianca

any issues anyone facing with the above 2 machine?

Decent’s customer service has been pretty responsive so far.
 

tomasulu

Banned
Joined
Sep 21, 2000
Messages
14,620
Reaction score
4,034
Hi bros, I'm almost about to pull the trigger on bambino plus.

Main criteria:

1. As fast startup time as possible
2. Able to pull great shots with lots of crema

However, now I'm holding back as bambino is 54mm supposedly 58mm commercial grade is better.

Is there any machine that starts as fast as thermal jet tech on breville, but uses 58mm and can pull great shots?


BTW I started out on rancilio many years back but the whole long startup, warmup etc totally put me off... And end up I used nespresso pods for many years.

Now going back but wanna focus on convenience.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Already got a niche grinder.

Decent espresso really quick start up. A minute or so with mine. Crema isn’t something you want to chase after but if you like thick mouthfeel a darker roast and the niche grinder are good.
 

Zon

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
1
I have the gaggia classis pro, just added the OPV mod and PID. It is pulling pretty good shot right now and quite satisfied. The problem with the breville is the build quality and 54mm portafilter. I was also about to get bambino plus but googling the longevity of it and i have some doubts above it.

If you import a silvia, you probably can get it at the same price of a bambino plus maybe even cheaper. Warranty tbh is overrated, get a good product with good reparability and you should be set for long term.

Silvia has a bigger boiler which means longer to heat up, the workflow is also much different. Normally you pull a shot then steam milk. But on the Silvia, people tends to steam milk first because of the size of the boiler it will be faster to cool down a steaming boiler then heating up.

Both Silvia and Gaggia doesnt have a PID so brew temperature will be off and you need to temp surfing.

Not sure why you say steam wand is not as good, i can steam milk just fine its just that i no skill to pour latte art. The steam pressure is not really that big of problem, you just start steaming before the steam light goes on and you can steam forever.
Hi. I have a Gaggia baby twin.. and i was intrigued by what you mentioned. OPV and PID.
Did a google and realised what was happening. I have a open portafiler and I realised all the spraying was due to the higher than 9psi pressure.

How did you do the opv mod? Was it changing the spring, or just by adjusting the valve 1 turn anti clockwise?

Any response is appreciated.

video of how to adjust using 1 full anti clockwise turn.


another video but on a baby twin.



Guess i need to source for a pressure gauge now.
 

IAmNiceify

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
671
Reaction score
12
Hi. I have a Gaggia baby twin.. and i was intrigued by what you mentioned. OPV and PID.
Did a google and realised what was happening. I have a open portafiler and I realised all the spraying was due to the higher than 9psi pressure.

How did you do the opv mod? Was it changing the spring, or just by adjusting the valve 1 turn anti clockwise?

Any response is appreciated.

video of how to adjust using 1 full anti clockwise turn.


another video but on a baby twin.



Guess i need to source for a pressure gauge now.

I dont have a gaggia baby twin so i cant help you that. The first video shouldn't be relevant as it is not for your model.
 

Zon

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
1
So I went and purchased shorter springs and a pressure gauge. Don't know where to upload pics. So will skip it.

Original gaggia baby twin giving me approx 12bars.

It is using a plastic valve instead of the brass type found in gaggia classic. Still the same, unscrew it using a no10 wrench. Changed to shorter spring, 10bars.
Cut the new spring. Managed to get 8.5-9bar.
Did a pull, no more spraying in my open portafilter.

Will try a fresh bag of beans tmr morning.
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
can I check if anyone uses UHT milk instead of fresh milk for their cafe latte?
Any significant difference btw fresh vs UHT? Tks
 

whizzard

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2001
Messages
972
Reaction score
3
Thinking of buying the Niche Zero grinder.

Where do you guys get it? Directly from the website?

more are there any local distro for this?
 

mamboeidos

Banned
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
17,392
Reaction score
527
I have a j max hand grinder.. But wonder if I should get a niche or Eureka Mignon Specialita like one of the bro mention here?
Or should I stick with the j max?
I usually make like not more than 5 cups per day with 18g of beans to grind each time...
 

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,073
Reaction score
14,824
hi guys, any tutorial on making espresso? or is it purely trial and error?

just starting out, using my brother's expobar leva and mignon grinder :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top