(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
If you want to show someone what really good espresso should taste like, where would be the top 3 places you would bring this person? Finally have enough disposable dough to purchase a machine, but want to manage my expectations accordingly.

I am coming from Nespresso, but it is really more of a put-caffeine-in-my-system kind of affair, rather than really enjoying the drink.
There is only 1 answer to this. It’s Nylon coffee. Because they painstakingly bother to weigh their ground coffee in the portafilter before tamping and pulling a shot.

This is absolutely critical for consistency. 1g off the recommended dosage will mess up the shot times and flavour balance. Heck even 0.5g makes a difference.

Not to mention that nylon also sources, visits the farms they work with and roast their own beans in-house. Their bean quality is top notch. They won’t sell you anything less that excellence. May be difficult to brew due to lighter roast profiles but its all to display the bean’s intrinsic flavors instead of being too heavily influenced by the roast levels.

If there is any other cafe that weighs the ground coffee in the portafilter do share. Of course with the ETZmax grinder weighing the dose in the portafilter may not be necessary but I have not seen any cafe using this grinder yet.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
rocket and lelit is cheap in EU.

even breville/sage is cheap, dunno why SG so ex
Singapore everything expensive, even CPU, GFX card, Switch, TV, Fridge. Knn Sinkie all carrot head.
 

al_cupon

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
5,582
Reaction score
1
Alright guys, help needed.

figuring out which machine is better, I'm thinking of upgrading my current set up.

1. decent espresso
2. lelit bianca

any issues anyone facing with the above 2 machine?
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
Anyone has lobang for espresso machine repair..
I bought the gasket to replace but I think it's too hardened.

I briefly search 'Highlander' does.. anyone has recommendations. thanks
 

IAmNiceify

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
671
Reaction score
12
Anyone experience gearbox issue with sette 270 and how you fix it? Most reddit post user from the states mentioned that replacement gearbox is free, does this apply in singapore as well?
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
U got try let the group head heat up? Rubber when hot is soft mah.
https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs/articles/how-to-replace-rancilio-silvia-group-gasket

wah need a pick to chisel it out ah?
9Pcs-Scraper-Pick-Hook-Kit-Gasket-Scraping-Hose-Removal-Tool-Set-Gasket-Scraper-Set-Aluminum-Alloy.jpg_q50.jpg
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
It's not taking out hard, it's putting back in. :(
U got try let the group head heat up? Rubber when hot is soft mah.
ok managed to take out liao after forcing the flat screw driver head.
I've already soak those brasses and shower screen with cafiza..

what about the group head ah? simply just use water and brush to clean and wipe dry ah?

Thanks
 

SNAG

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,885
Reaction score
110
Anyone experience gearbox issue with sette 270 and how you fix it? Most reddit post user from the states mentioned that replacement gearbox is free, does this apply in singapore as well?
You gotta go back to Stellar M. Likely need to pay - service won't be as top par as Baratza direct.
 

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
4,704
Reaction score
33
I intend to get breville bambino plus. Any recommendation for other espresso machine at this price range? I normally drink Latte and quite impressed with bambino plus steam wand. I have my own grinder. Any other reco?

Saw Gaggia classic pro steam wand not as good as bambino
Rancilio Silvia out of budget
DeLonghi dedica cannot make it
 

IAmNiceify

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
671
Reaction score
12
I intend to get breville bambino plus. Any recommendation for other espresso machine at this price range? I normally drink Latte and quite impressed with bambino plus steam wand. I have my own grinder. Any other reco?

Saw Gaggia classic pro steam wand not as good as bambino
Rancilio Silvia out of budget
DeLonghi dedica cannot make it
I have the gaggia classis pro, just added the OPV mod and PID. It is pulling pretty good shot right now and quite satisfied. The problem with the breville is the build quality and 54mm portafilter. I was also about to get bambino plus but googling the longevity of it and i have some doubts above it.

If you import a silvia, you probably can get it at the same price of a bambino plus maybe even cheaper. Warranty tbh is overrated, get a good product with good reparability and you should be set for long term.

Silvia has a bigger boiler which means longer to heat up, the workflow is also much different. Normally you pull a shot then steam milk. But on the Silvia, people tends to steam milk first because of the size of the boiler it will be faster to cool down a steaming boiler then heating up.

Both Silvia and Gaggia doesnt have a PID so brew temperature will be off and you need to temp surfing.

Not sure why you say steam wand is not as good, i can steam milk just fine its just that i no skill to pour latte art. The steam pressure is not really that big of problem, you just start steaming before the steam light goes on and you can steam forever.
 
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,339
Reaction score
15,774
You will know whether warranty and aftersales is overrated when you encounter a problem in the future, just a matter of how soon. :o
 

IAmNiceify

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
671
Reaction score
12
You will know whether warranty and aftersales is overrated when you encounter a problem in the future, just a matter of how soon. :o
Warranty that last 1 year and marked up almost 50%. I can buy 2 by just topping up $100 than to get from a local distro, its quite a no brainer.
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
hmm it’s what it says on the bag la.

www.tionghoe.com/product-page/jet-candy-seasonal-espresso-blend
(just realised can’t post url here)

so both these shops i come to know sell whole beans, but if you don’t have grinder at home, they can grind for you depending on what you use it for. Nylon went a step further by telling me the grind setting this time so if any adjustments needed they can do so the next time.

yes i got desperate i switched back to pressurized again today, my layman thinking maybe pressured basket will slow things down but not by much le. maybe i need to tune it accurately again. but end result - still acidic.

in fact i think i should try to pull it as long as the machine allows and see if i can even get a ‘burnt’ coffee. 🧐
I picked up https://www.tionghoe.com/product-page/gachala-house-espresso-blend. Hope it's good
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
How about trying our staple go to bean from six four coffee. Somehow I prefer the cheaper Chinook blend than their signature Apache. Just buy them both, they are having a sale now, then come back and see if there's a difference.

Tbh, cheaper machines I would suggest don't go deep into the fancy beans. Save money and get cheaper beans. Those high end (or simply the more expensive, as taste is subjective) are mostly meant for filter. I always recall drinking some exotic filter and it tastes like tea than coffee. Didn't like the experience. If I want tea like I'll just drink tea.
recently I saw those $10-ish fresh beans at coffee..I buy 2 packs and good to last me till the next sale..
u got any brands to sic?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top