(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I'm not sure if I'm particular about the espresso or not - I used to drink coffee with sugar cause it's always bad (too bitter, too sour?) until I came across good lattes then I realised.. If the standard of latte that can DIY like bookcafe or toby's estate (haven't tried sg one, only aussie), then I think i'm happy :s13:

Those lattes, and the one my friend did..is light, frothy, I think cameralish/chocolate - almost sweet tasting and not bitter, but without sugar. Can be done with some learning I suppose?

Ya I'm told to buy good grinders too..I'm not too sure what is considered a good grinder though. My friend only said, just remember, flat burrs - okay. Haha. I was thinking 2k+ with grinder previously. But if I do need to spend more on grinder than maybe save up abit first?


Sounds like you like lattes more. If you don't like espresso then go with a hx. Actually a breville double boiler is pretty cheap too. might want to wait for decent espresso when it comes out. if it can really pull off what it claims for it price then it is going to be a real game changer.

Good grinder for espresso should be a grinder that you can easily micro adjust to make small but significant difference in your espresso shot time.
I'd avoid the grinders designed initially for cafe use because of the grind retention and difficulty to single dose your beans. The sette seems to be another game changer but have to wait and see how it really performs. otherwise options are really limited. Retention is a big deal for home baristas because retention makes is difficult and wasteful to dial in your grinder to get your ideal flow rate. This is why i still bother to keep the HG one and hand grind day after day.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,403
Reaction score
15,847
I'm also thinking of replacing my grouphead gasket, not expensive anyway.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Help!! I accidentally forgot to refill my rancilio's water tank just now before brewing and while brewing the second cup halfway, the machine ran out of water and then there was a sucking sound for about 1-2 seconds before I realised what was going on and immediately turned off the power.

However, after refilling the tank and then brewing another cup, the flow rate was super fast like 40g of espresso output in 8-10 seconds. Prep was identical. Tried a second time and flow rate was still fast. Then I ran out of beans and so used some super old stale beans to try again and flow rate was even faster (50g in 8-10 seconds) but this was probably due to its super old state I guess. All the espressos were super diluted.

What are the consequences of forgetting to refill the water tank and brewing halfway it runs out of water?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,403
Reaction score
15,847
You saying your pump becomes stronger? haha

Why not wait for the machine to cool down first from heating without water.
I don't know, maybe there's compressed air.

I'll probably off it then open the valve to release pressure or brew blank for a while to clear it.

My experience with heating with no water for my heavy equipment(not espresso machine), is it will overburn the heating element or trip the safety.
 
Last edited:

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
something has been puzzling me for some time already.
Do you change ur grind size according to your beans?

recently change to another beans but realized espresso flow rate seems much more faster.
assuming no one tinker with my grind size, only factor that has change is probably my beans.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
something has been puzzling me for some time already.
Do you change ur grind size according to your beans?

recently change to another beans but realized espresso flow rate seems much more faster.
assuming no one tinker with my grind size, only factor that has change is probably my beans.

Definitely. I think Dark roasts are lighter. The same amount of coffee by weight will sit higher in the portafilter after tamping compares to light roasts. Usually I use a smaller dose for or grind coarser for dark roasts to get similar flow rates.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
You saying your pump becomes stronger? haha

Why not wait for the machine to cool down first from heating without water.
I don't know, maybe there's compressed air.

I'll probably off it then open the valve to release pressure or brew blank for a while to clear it.

My experience with heating with no water for my heavy equipment(not espresso machine), is it will overburn the heating element or trip the safety.

That was what I thought happened but after trying to brew again today it was all good
I pumped water into the boiler by opening channeling water through the steam wand and then when I offed the valve there was a hissing sound I guess some pressure was left behind since the other day.

Anyways, I tried the coffee from perk already its pretty good it was fresh and had nice crema.
It came in a nice sturdy box kinda like a pizza box and even had hand written messages inside. Overall satisfied with it considering I paid only $5+ for 250g of coffee for a first time buyer :s13:
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,403
Reaction score
15,847
I pick my coffee base on estate more than who is selling it.

I find Indonesian coffee are pretty decent for its price, in fact, the flavours are more enjoyable to my preference.

I wonder got a cheaper option or not since they are pretty near.
If there's a good roaster there and ship to SG, it should arrive within a week even by normal air mail.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,475
Reaction score
438
something has been puzzling me for some time already.
Do you change ur grind size according to your beans?

recently change to another beans but realized espresso flow rate seems much more faster.
assuming no one tinker with my grind size, only factor that has change is probably my beans.

Definitely, different type of beans are of different sizes, different roast, humidity which all affects flow rate.

If you have a large enough amount of the same bean and use it for a month, you may realise you need to adjust the grind different on the first week than the last week.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Definitely, different type of beans are of different sizes, different roast, humidity which all affects flow rate.

If you have a large enough amount of the same bean and use it for a month, you may realise you need to adjust the grind different on the first week than the last week.

that explain why. I was pretty puzzle and confused. thought someone adjusted my grind setting due to the very very fast flow rate.
 

acertey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2003
Messages
868
Reaction score
4
hi guys, new to this been reading last 20-50 pages on here. Wanted to get a simple grinder and espresso maker with milk frothing capability. Mainly drinking cappuccino, latte, expresso.

On a tight budget, however will be happy if can last 3yrs or so. Appreciate your response. :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top