(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
31,310
Reaction score
40
Old school manual roasting is very fun actually, can see how the green bean changes over time. I have this little contraption which lets me roast about 30-40g over a portable gas burner:
2rqzga1.png


Only problem is it takes a lot of time and effort to roast enough to last a week's consumption :(




The genecafe serve me well in my 3 yrs of home roasting. The chaff collector prevents the chaffflying all over place and the machine allows me to listen to 1st crack and 2nd crack ( ideally roasting stop just b4 second crack for my full city roast)

Cooling i use coliander and and handheld water spray to cool fast, its a technique i develop or alternatively u can depend on cooling mode of genecafe which i find takes too long to cool.

Green beans i got from freshcafe at stirling road.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,391
Reaction score
15,826
Got one roasting machine company tell me not to use water to cool.
 

Qingrong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
8,602
Reaction score
1
Got myself a Rocket Appartamento during the June coffee festival and currently on a non-stop daily practice of espresso making. I don't think I own a decent grinder for espresso based drink, as I am currently rocking on a Baratza Virtuoso. I am currently on a lookout of a decent grinder that can go well with my entry-level Appartamento. Anyone can recommend me a good grinder that is suitable for house use, but hopefully does not take up much space (that's one of the reasons I go with the Appartamento, due to space constraint.), and hopefully with minimal powder retention.

Thanks first. :)

Hello fellow appartamento owner. :)

If 2-3g of rentention is fine for you, you may want to contact me to discuss about buying my ECM S-Manuale 64 grinder.
 

pulp_79sg

Junior Member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
If the boiler is Copper, Copper has antimicrobial properties to kill the tiniest virus. Why will you worry unless you are copper sensitive. Copper is found even in plants and part of diet. Used in hospitals air and water pipes.

Those double boilers reboil the same water forever, even worse.
At least heat exchanger use fresher water.

I will worry more about the plastic(BPA or not) leeching used in food packaging than this.
Or worry about leeching from aluminium or brass, and infestation in stainless steel vessels than this.

Nah not worried about the safety of the water… more about the 'freshness' of the water… :s13:

Got myself a Rocket Appartamento during the June coffee festival and currently on a non-stop daily practice of espresso making. I don't think I own a decent grinder for espresso based drink, as I am currently rocking on a Baratza Virtuoso. I am currently on a lookout of a decent grinder that can go well with my entry-level Appartamento. Anyone can recommend me a good grinder that is suitable for house use, but hopefully does not take up much space (that's one of the reasons I go with the Appartamento, due to space constraint.), and hopefully with minimal powder retention.

Thanks first. :)

Care to share how much you paid for your Rocket?
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
31,310
Reaction score
40
Got one roasting machine company tell me not to use water to cool.

I read up 1 book where they conduct experiment wity sprayed water to cool and just air cool, the conclude no diff. I find also no diff and its faster.

Anyway as long as u dun soak the beans wet , i think spray fine droplets of water which evaporate instantaneously off the surface is ok bah
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
I mod a biscuit tin for cooling my beans with a powerful delta fan. Cools my 200gm in about 1-2mins.
FFIAsLg.jpg

My behmor cooling cycle takes 12mins, even then, the beans are still warm at the end of the cycle.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

this is very idea!

planning to try out the popcorn maker method.
anyone has any solution to separate the chaff and the beans without making a mess/flying around?
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
waiting for stove popcorn maker to arrive.

how long can green beans be kept?
any tips for home roasting?
anyone use before imex cr-100?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,391
Reaction score
15,826
One year should be no problem, can put in freezer, probably even much longer.

But don't know how long the stockist had kept their stock
 

reactan

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
waiting for stove popcorn maker to arrive.

how long can green beans be kept?
any tips for home roasting?
anyone use before imex cr-100?

Just got my imex recently, and have roasted 6 batches.

Contrary to most online reviews, where people have trouble getting up to the second crack, I have found that it roasts too hot and fast, probably as a result of our weather.

It's suppose to settle down a little after 20 roasts or so... but in the meantime, I have taken toneoated with the cover off. Creates a huge mess.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Just got my imex recently, and have roasted 6 batches.

Contrary to most online reviews, where people have trouble getting up to the second crack, I have found that it roasts too hot and fast, probably as a result of our weather.

It's suppose to settle down a little after 20 roasts or so... but in the meantime, I have taken toneoated with the cover off. Creates a huge mess.

may I know how much did u spend on ur imex?
 

xplayer

Banned
Joined
Jun 15, 2016
Messages
2,739
Reaction score
0
Just got my imex recently, and have roasted 6 batches.

Contrary to most online reviews, where people have trouble getting up to the second crack, I have found that it roasts too hot and fast, probably as a result of our weather.

It's suppose to settle down a little after 20 roasts or so... but in the meantime, I have taken toneoated with the cover off. Creates a huge mess.

No need. Use a fan to blow it to prevent overheat
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
after a few attemps to roast my own coffee using a popcorn maker (stove type)
result is quite satisfying.

suffer from a bit of inconsistency....

what roaster are you guys using?
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
im a little bit poisen into the coffee roasting thing.
the cost of drum roaster out there is simply too high. May want to build my own. anyone keen to share knowledge/build together?
 

urbanathlon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
817
Reaction score
55
im a little bit poisen into the coffee roasting thing.
the cost of drum roaster out there is simply too high. May want to build my own. anyone keen to share knowledge/build together?
If you want to use convection to burn, need strong fan and fast turns.
Not rocket science
 

winzee

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
376
Reaction score
4
Hey guys!

I'm looking to get a coffee machine for about a $1k or less. Been reading that the Rancillo Silvia seem's good except for the PID. The Bezzerra looks really good but it's out of my budget.

I'm newbie to using the barrista coffee machines.

Do you have any machines that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,391
Reaction score
15,826
If you drink with milk, suggest go for a heat exchanger straight, forget about single boilers. I think it takes too long to make a latte.

Add a PID will make it cost almost like a HX anyway.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top