(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Still on page 35 and brain jammed Liao
So grinders not suitable for home and wastage as compared to hand grinders
Kept reading about Pharos and HG1 ....hmmmm
Adding to shortlist now including the Rocket Fausto
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,357
Reaction score
15,806
I don't see why are grinders not suitable for home due to wastage compare to hand grinders.

You can always use your grinder with single dose method to only grind what you want to put in.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
i think machine is built to last. don think will spoil that easily imo.
if u are the more hands on kind, i think you can always troubleshoot/buy parts online for replacement.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I don't see why are grinders not suitable for home due to wastage compare to hand grinders.

You can always use your grinder with single dose method to only grind what you want to put in.

U can't single dose most electric grinders effectively. What u just put in will still be left behind in the grind chamber. What comes out is your previous dose.

There are only a few electric grinders that can single dose effectively.
Kafatek
Ek43
Titus
Versalab
Sette
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,357
Reaction score
15,806
I don't know.
I used to dump 18g in and grind everything out, get back 17.x out or something.

Nothing from previous left in it except for the 0.xg.
Din find that it matter except that it's a lot of work, so stick back to filling the hopper full and dump the first few g of the day.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
i think machine is built to last. don think will spoil that easily imo.
if u are the more hands on kind, i think you can always troubleshoot/buy parts online for replacement.

Most common repairs can actually be done on your own with spare parts bought online e.g. Gaskets, pressure stat, expansion valves. Problem is if you get a machine with rare but Difficult repair e.g. Boiler leakage, which can be caused due to improper shipping. Unless your machine is a simple lever machine or open boiler it's difficult to repair.

Best to get locally with 1 year warranty for parts and service.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I don't know.
I used to dump 18g in and grind everything out, get back 17.x out or something.

Nothing from previous left in it except for the 0.xg.
Din find that it matter except that it's a lot of work, so stick back to filling the hopper full and dump the first few g of the day.

Single dosing is convenient if u change blends frequently or play with grind settings to get optimal extraction. Or if you believe leaving beans in the hopper will make them stale.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Still on page 35 and brain jammed Liao
So grinders not suitable for home and wastage as compared to hand grinders
Kept reading about Pharos and HG1 ....hmmmm
Adding to shortlist now including the Rocket Fausto

You should be reading HB... for the meat

No reason why electronic not good for home, grind retention reduction is what ppl strive. Can you tell the difference in taste in a blind taste test? Mostly likely no. If so no waste!
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/1st-impressions-of-my-new-mahlkonig-k30-vario-t18978.html
 

Knight_Rider

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
11,100
Reaction score
1
breville-bcq-820bss-the-smart-grinder-pro-stainless-steel-6118-3357008-f14818404aba998bde3804239d999baa-zoom.jpg


http://www.harveynorman.com.sg/kitc...fee-machines/breville-grinder-bcg-820bss.html

https://www.tangs.com/product/breville-the-smart-grinder-820

http://www.lazada.sg/breville-bcq-820bss-the-smart-grinder-pro-stainless-steel-8007533.html

Everywhere selling no good?
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
For how long do you normally place your coffee beans in the grinder's compartment. A week?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,357
Reaction score
15,806
Put in hopper, two to three days is okay for me.
If longer than that, I may adjust the grinder to make it a little finer after a few days, no problem.

Dark roast, less problem.
Light roast, a lot of distortion.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
You should keep the excess beans back into an air tight container / sealed bag. Never leave it in the bean hopper.

Thanks. I just got a Bezzera grinder so quite difficult to put back to the airtight container.

Put in hopper, two to three days is okay for me.
If longer than that, I may adjust the grinder to make it a little finer after a few days, no problem.

Dark roast, less problem.
Light roast, a lot of distortion.

Thanks. I usually make sure that any leftovers are consumed in 2 days maximum. For darker roast, are the flavors more "contained"? I find lighter roasts a bit sourish (in general) and prefer much stronger, chocolatey ones. This tends to be darker like French roast.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,357
Reaction score
15,806
2 days don't worry man, unless your roaster is cmi and left it already oxidised for many days.
just dump few g of coffee before first cup of the day.

Lighter roast is naturally more sour, it's the trend in SG cafes now, I hate it.
I find guatamala beans chocolatey notes are better, prefer it as a blend with some brazilian and some fruitiness from the Columbian.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
the tasting note of light/dark roast depends on the beans itself.
if something brazillian will be more nutty, yirga will taste spicy.

but brazillin (light) + Colombia (dark) is a good combo!

but if you drink latte den everything will be easy on the palate imo unless your espresso went wrong.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
I don't home roast but I get my roaster to roast to my req.
I disagree latte will be easier on the palette. I can tell if I dislike the blend. Milk would make it taste easier or better. Maybe I picky and taste very subjective too.

My spouse cannot taste the diff latte or black pour over using different beans.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top