(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
The Strega is using a full-fledged commercial grouphead and copper boiler system, it is not comparable.

The pre-infusion is a lot and all these make it very easy to produce a "god" shot. A lot of new startups roasters here in Australia use them in the sampling labs. Matter of fact, I think they reproduce the shots closest to the LM's Strada in the recommended default settings.
That should tell you what sort of leagues are we comparing to.


i'm surprised cafes would use a strega for the sampling labs...
Active heating cartridges in the group and the need to flush the fx don't seem temp stable. 6 degrees temp fluctuation is huge if you want to achieve consistency.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/best-flush-routine-for-bezzera-strega-t20432.html

I would think you would at least need a PID control with saturated groups or thermosiphons like a GS3, slayer. Now the GS3 with manual paddle can also do pressure profiling....
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
It's about GBP1000. Not too expensive but I am not sure how it tastes like.



I am quite interested in Elektra Micro Casa after reading some comments. Sure there are some flaws but it has its espresso has some unique, mellow characteristics. It costs less than Strega and might be a good balance between aesthetics and performance. I am still inclined towards Strega at this point, but this is coming in quite close.

I would go with a brand that that local support. Machines do spoil. you will need spare parts. Lever machines need greasing and changing of the seals.

best is to go bring a knowledgeable friend and test the machines out.

I would recommend getting a machine with a 58mm commercial sized portafilter too... eventually you may want to play with VST baskets to brew light roasted coffee.

if you don't drink milk drinks then forget about all these machines. just go for an open boiler system like a strietman.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
I would go with a brand that that local support. Machines do spoil. you will need spare parts. Lever machines need greasing and changing of the seals.

best is to go bring a knowledgeable friend and test the machines out.

I would recommend getting a machine with a 58mm commercial sized portafilter too... eventually you may want to play with VST baskets to brew light roasted coffee.

if you don't drink milk drinks then forget about all these machines. just go for an open boiler system like a strietman.

Yea, so far I am quite set on Strega or BZ10/13 unless there are other new developments.

Anybody tried buying coffee from Ebay?

There are roasters there offering Kona.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kona-Coffee...hash=item19e69ed63b:m:mNxxeHpJxkwKqyanwJFD1VA

He also has Jamaican blue mountain and other expensive beans.

Looks quite good. Do buy and let us know how it goes :D

Anyone tried Liberica coffee here? Mostly available in Borneo.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,325
Reaction score
15,790
Actually I've tried Blue mountain before and not really impressed.

Looking at ordering Nylon and Common man next.

Is Toby estate and common man the same company?
I remember that they have other names or something.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Anybody tried buying coffee from Ebay?

There are roasters there offering Kona.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kona-Coffee...hash=item19e69ed63b:m:mNxxeHpJxkwKqyanwJFD1VA


He also has Jamaican blue mountain and other expensive beans.

I bought my 8lb green on eBay
http://stores.ebay.com/howellsproducts

U looked into getting direct from farm?
http://www.kpfc.com/products-coffee.html
https://www.coffeeofkona.com/green-kona-beans/

Cheaper alternative Maui coffee
http://www.mauigrowncoffee.com/mgc/
 
Last edited:

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,276
Reaction score
209
Hmmm....the IKEA beans really no crema but its ok for budget drinking la
I have tried the dark and medium roast beans and was quite surprised no acidity/sourish aftertaste detected.
I usually use 15-17g coffee with 20sec to get about 30ml. I think its flowing fast and will continue to finetune with finer settings

One question: I am get lots and lots of clumps for the grinds. Theydo break easily though.
Am I grinding too fine?
 
Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
170
Comparing BZ10 to BZ13 PID, will there be a lot of difference in your shots? Price wise it's $2399 vs $1649.
 

sohzai

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1

sohzai

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1
So much activity here recently, happy to have khakis of similar hobby sharing information here. A bezzera mitica user and still supportive of their well priced machines! Been using more of Joe and doe's coffee recently.Surprisingly balanced.
Also changed to ims basket and filter, distribution was indeed better than my stock, and the good cups are more consistent now.

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT
 

sohzai

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1
I thought they just had a barista champion :o
I tried some winning barista from maruma coffee. Indeed nice. Not dont have, just not easy to find and alot more rare than you would find in singapore. Like I observed, they are alot more into brewed coffee rather than espresso based ones. So maybe an espresso machine from Japan will take a long time.

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,325
Reaction score
15,790
You got bring back the coffee and try on your coffee machine?

I think there's some jap coffee subscription services.
Not sure how different is it. :o
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
So much activity here recently, happy to have khakis of similar hobby sharing information here. A bezzera mitica user and still supportive of their well priced machines! Been using more of Joe and doe's coffee recently.Surprisingly balanced.
Also changed to ims basket and filter, distribution was indeed better than my stock, and the good cups are more consistent now.

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

Where do u buy IMS baskets. I'm interested in them too. They have an interesting single basket....
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hmmm....the IKEA beans really no crema but its ok for budget drinking la
I have tried the dark and medium roast beans and was quite surprised no acidity/sourish aftertaste detected.
I usually use 15-17g coffee with 20sec to get about 30ml. I think its flowing fast and will continue to finetune with finer settings

One question: I am get lots and lots of clumps for the grinds. Theydo break easily though.
Am I grinding too fine?

Whether too fine or not depends on flow rate. I find clumps not really a problem because they crumble easily. Could be static just holding them together.

20 secs seems too fast. Use weight for yield instead of volume. They 15g dose 30g yield in about 25-30 secs. Try with better coffee now. Use highlander. I find their Blend the most forgiving.
 

sohzai

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1
Nope. Coffee beans are expensive . nice, but not nice enough for me to overspend on it. Plus its a lighter toast, I usually can't replicate them well at home.

You got bring back the coffee and try on your coffee machine?

I think there's some jap coffee subscription services.
Not sure how different is it. :o
 

sohzai

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1
Taobao still cheapest most of the time, but ims not by much. Few dollars cheaper.

Tell me if you need the link

Where do u buy IMS baskets. I'm interested in them too. They have an interesting single basket....
 

sohzai

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1
Recommend Joe and dough too. Highlander at 12 and j&d at 15 per pack. Both are also more economical for better testing

Whether too fine or not depends on flow rate. I find clumps not really a problem because they crumble easily. Could be static just holding them together.

20 secs seems too fast. Use weight for yield instead of volume. They 15g dose 30g yield in about 25-30 secs. Try with better coffee now. Use highlander. I find their Blend the most forgiving.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,325
Reaction score
15,790
Hmmm....the IKEA beans really no crema but its ok for budget drinking la
I have tried the dark and medium roast beans and was quite surprised no acidity/sourish aftertaste detected.
I usually use 15-17g coffee with 20sec to get about 30ml. I think its flowing fast and will continue to finetune with finer settings

One question: I am get lots and lots of clumps for the grinds. Theydo break easily though.
Am I grinding too fine?

I think you did what I did with the IKEA beans.
Flowing too fast so grind finer and finer hope to reduce the flow. :(
Too fine then it will clump. :(

Just go to your nearest roaster and get a cheap bags of medium to dark roast of coffee.
If has robusta, even better, the extraction is more stable and crema is thicker.

You may want to tune your grinder back coarser.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top