(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

MarkoBGD

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hi guys!

Just to say hello, and ask a question of course. I recently moved to SG, and brought my espresso setup :) I have Mazzer Major grinder, and a E61 HX La Scala Butterfly. Currently buying at Perk coffee and satisfied, they seem ok.

I am thinking of buying E61 Erics Thermometer. Do we have any place in SG importing or ordering directly is better option?

ODPXZla.jpg
 
Last edited:

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hi guys!

Just to say hello, and ask a question of course. I recently moved to SG, and brought my espresso setup :) I have Mazzer Major grinder, and a E61 HX La Scala Butterfly. Currently buying at Perk coffee and satisfied, they seem ok.

I am thinking of buying E61 Erics Thermometer. Do we have any place in SG importing or ordering directly is better option?

one of the members here bought it online. Don't think any shop in singapore sells erics thermometer. was looking for one when i was using a e61 machine too. Even if there is a local reseller, prices are likely to be marked up for a reasonable profit margin.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/E61-Group-Digital-Thermometer-Adapter-p/sss-04.htm

anyway welcome to Singapore. We are fast becoming a coffee heaven! Many new roasters. If you want to get beans from established roasters some places do bring them in. Kurasu coffee at odeon towers sells beans from japanese roasters.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
ooo much potential. But i wonder is the motor is too small for the burr size. Wonder how much retention. I measured my sette and its about 1g. Best is still the HG-1. +- 0.1 g.

have you tried to on the grinder for 1 second more after stopping? i realized my grind retention is due to fast spinning burr.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
have you tried to on the grinder for 1 second more after stopping? i realized my grind retention is due to fast spinning burr.

To measure grind retention I ground all the beans in the hopper until no more grinds was coming out.

After that I disassembled the burr assembly, brushed all the grounds that are left behind and measured these grounds. Its about 1g.

Despite being a straight thru design the sette does have some ground stuck in the grind chamber.

How does this translate to real life brewing? The flow rate is consistently faster but it does not translate to a bad cup.

Nonetheless because i try to get the best possible for each shot, when i will grind everything out after each shot. Before i start a new shot the next day I'll add about 1-2g to grind out the old grounds that are still stuck in the chamber that can only be flushed out by adding new grounds. After grinding 1-2g, i'll add my usual dose dose weight (18g or 20g) and grind everything out. Usually I'll get the same exact weight in the portafilter.

If you are getting a sette and single dose I don't think there is a need to get the sette W like what I did. just follow the steps above and you'll get quite an accurate dose each time and ensure the grounds in the portafilter is not last night's grounds.

So even with the sette there is some wastage of about 1-2g each short.
 

Mr.Chocolate

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Anyone interested in getting an espresso grinder upgrade? Looking to offload my grinder for an upgrade. Currently using the Baratza Sette 270. HMU!
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Minipresso from wacao for office gd?

I won't recommend. Minipresso requires alot of preheating. The gaskets also tend to blow out with too much pressure (mine version 1 did) and you have to dismantle and fix it back.

The ground coffee version is messy. The nespresso capsule version might be neater but you'll have to do the preheating to get a better extraction.

Might as well just get a nespresso or dolce gusto.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
What setup if i want to make coffee at work? Aeropress? What bout grinder?

Best results.
Get good quality beans 1week to 4 week’s from roasting date
If u make small batch just use a good hand grinder. Lido, feld grind, commandante
If u don’t like to hand grind then spend a bit more. Maybe a baratza virtuoso or sette

Brew method. U need a water source that is hot enough. If not get your own kettle. If u can afford get a goose neck kettle.

If u have a gooseneck kettle and want a cheap brewer get a. Plastic v60. Want more convenience. Use a Kalita wave.

If u don’t have a goose neck can still try pour over method but it’s tricky. Can consider using a small latte pitcher that u can control the flow

If no goose neck kettle or not confident to pour over get a aeropress. May different methods to experiment with. Hard to go wrong with infusion methods.

If u don’t mind some silt in your coffee French press is food. Rich and full bodied coffee. Can get cheap ones.

My own filter coffee method for office? V60 and using old French press. I preheat the French press. Grinder I use a feldgrind or HG one. Water is from a boiler that can take temps up to boiling.
 

prozaizxc

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
Has anybody tried drip coffee bags from hook or any other brands for that matter? How did you guys find it?
it seems really convenient to just add water and its similiar-ish to a pour over although i know that the beans will obviously not be as fresh cause its preground.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,393
Reaction score
15,838
Not sure about their drip coffee bags but I ordered from them whole beans and I'm not really impressed :o
 

BarbieDog

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
6,078
Reaction score
0
I lost my aeropress filter cap.
anywhere i can get it? find online and it costs $20+ for one.

a new aeropress from amazon SGD 45.
if buy from sg need $69.

I like to drink latte or just coffee with milk. normally use aeropress to make coffee then add milk.

is there any cheaper tools?
can french press or v60 make a thick enough coffee to make latte?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I lost my aeropress filter cap.
anywhere i can get it? find online and it costs $20+ for one.

a new aeropress from amazon SGD 45.
if buy from sg need $69.

I like to drink latte or just coffee with milk. normally use aeropress to make coffee then add milk.

is there any cheaper tools?
can french press or v60 make a thick enough coffee to make latte?


try a minipresso, prismo, moka pot for thicker coffee
hard to get something that makes thick coffee.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top