(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,472
Reaction score
438
Nice! Were you using the strega previously? How does it compare? I understand the LM does not have any options to play around with shot, its a rather straight forward machine.

Yea, very straightforward, but bear in mind nothing wrong with the Strega at all! Slight complain on strega is a weak steam, but I've just saw on instagram a guy managed to increase the boiler pressure to give better steam, so strega owners rejoice!

The LMLM is just dial in, and pull, nothing to think about besides practicing consistency. I've liked LM's shots, they are a fair bit bitter than what the strega does, overall shots taste more bold, tad bit less fruitiness? Personal opinion as I prefer my coffee a little bitter.

I understand based on my usage, the LMLM is a very luxury purchase (almost throw my heart to get a GS3 MP, maybe next upgrade? :s22 ) so its purely based on lust than practical use. I won't recommend anyone grab it just because its La Marzocco. Any HX E61 works wonders too.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Do you use a bottomless portafilter? From what I gather the Linea Mini is quite unforgiving compared to your old Strega. No preinfusion, straight up to 9bars. I imagine any small misprep can be quite messy?
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Congratz to your new machine.

Know of a barista who changed from Linea Mini to Strega instead. He thinks that it taste closer to the Strada in the cafe he is working.

His remarks coincide with yours, less bitter, brighter and wider flavours from the Bezzera. More intense and bitter, less naunces of fruitiness or the flowery notes from the same coffee on the LMLM.
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,472
Reaction score
438
I drink mostly milk-based, hence the bitterness cut across nicely for me.

I've been using a IMS triple basket, dosing from 19 - 21gms, getting wet puck still. I'll try with a smaller basket and dial in again. This is something I dont usually get from the strega.

I've been looking for a naked PF, hopefully with LM logo (again just a lust), but I don't see it anywhere... next best choice will be Pesado...
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,361
Reaction score
15,798
I think ignore the wet puck, most important is the taste is good. :o

I personally take a darker roast for the bitter blends but over time, start to prefer it to be a balance of acidity and bitterness, not too much of both. :o
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
@DriftKing

What grinder are you pairing it with? Previously i used to have random soupy pucks, but after changing my grinder it seems to go away. Soupy pucks is one of the great mysteries in espresso making..haha
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,472
Reaction score
438
@DriftKing

What grinder are you pairing it with? Previously i used to have random soupy pucks, but after changing my grinder it seems to go away. Soupy pucks is one of the great mysteries in espresso making..haha

Using Eureka Zenith 65. Never experience this (unless very bad dialing) on the strega.

I'm just a bit annoyed on the messiness only. :s22:
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Guys i have just received the DE1+, its really amazing, just pulled a morning shot with it, the warm up time is like within minutes and the machine just gets barely warm around the chassis, perfect for Singapore weather.

Will try to answer any questions if you have any. Tried posting a pic but i realised HWZ forum cannot upload picture directly still...
 

erwinseow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Guys i have just received the DE1+, its really amazing, just pulled a morning shot with it, the warm up time is like within minutes and the machine just gets barely warm around the chassis, perfect for Singapore weather.

Will try to answer any questions if you have any. Tried posting a pic but i realised HWZ forum cannot upload picture directly still...

How is the stream power? Congrats on being one of the few privileged ones to get the machine so early.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
The steam is crazy strong, comparing to my Rocket HX, for the same volume of milk the vortex gets really strong pushing milk more violently. The claims of dryer steam seems true, my milk tends to slightly sweeter and more "milky" taste compared to the my older machine.
 

erwinseow

Member
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
The steam is crazy strong, comparing to my Rocket HX, for the same volume of milk the vortex gets really strong pushing milk more violently. The claims of dryer steam seems true, my milk tends to slightly sweeter and more "milky" taste compared to the my older machine.

Interesting. I thought it would be weak because it's a thermo coil. It's only 1 hole tip right? Also cannot brew and steam same time right?
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
Cannot steam and brew at the same time, but its instantaneous switching between both. Its one hole tip.

Their steam path have an additional heated pathway i think, much like the slayer steam, it heats up the steam further to 160c making it super heated. The steaming function is quite cool, they display the temp, the pressure and volume dispensed in real time.
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Congrats to another new purchase from another forumer.

It seems strange that I'm heading the other direction from you guys. From a La Marzocco, Synesso, pressure profilers, double boilers. Now we are going back to a basic La Pavoni spring lever, heat exchanger. Not even having a PID or any pump. :s13:
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
Not sure about the DE, but it's quite an interesting looking machine.
They don't release a lot of details on the inside though, I went through the published water flow diagram and it says that it has 2 heating elements, 2 Overpressure valves, 3 pumps. With that amount of parts, and the tiny space,I can tell this will be an extremely difficult to service when something goes wrong. Is there a reseller in Singapore to service the machine?

It looks like the steam heating is done by thermoblocs.
Thermoblocs are always super heated so they could vaporise droplets of water instanteously. What is usually encountered is the blast of flow isn't as regular and goes by a pulsating manner.


Traditional heating boilers don't require that amount of temperature as the boiler heats up and kept plenty of steam on standby.
 

wook2000

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
639
Reaction score
7
The brew path picture has some errors which DE has yet to be corrected, there are only two pumps and the water tank does not get heated up.

Now that u mentioned it the steam does pulse slightly, but so far dun see much issues with it during steaming. There is no reseller in SG, DE does not plan to engage resellers instead going by direct purchase online, so any issues will go back to them directly. I had a very bad experience with resellers and manufacturers throwing the ball back at each other, so i guess direct selling is another plus point.

The main draw of this machine for me is the fast warm up time, cool chassis and temp stability, currently using a E61 hx,, the machine works well, but given the small tight kitchen we all have, the machine easily warms up the surrounding, making the coffee making experience less than ideal. If i on the fan and blow directly at myself my group head thermo readings go haywire..haha.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,361
Reaction score
15,798
Why is your machine so hot on the chassis. I can put my hands on the Strega without hurting and don't feel the heat with my hands placed 2 inches away. :s11:

Can your cups still be warmed if the chassis feel cold?
The grouphead should be always hot so there shouldn't be much difference.
:o
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
Just got my rancillio repaired.

it's been a long time since I use my grinder, maybe I just grind about 50g of beans ( plus tuning of the grain size ) before I proceed to drinking? ok ma?
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,361
Reaction score
15,798
You can dismantle and clean or buy those grinder cleaner crystals to remove those that caked inside. :o
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
You can dismantle and clean or buy those grinder cleaner crystals to remove those that caked inside. :o

Ok.. so I load my portafilter 15g..
so extraction should be done about 15s? ( assume vol is 15g also ) ?

Also if I want to make latte based on 15g coffee, how much milk should I put?
As in ratio
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,361
Reaction score
15,798
15ml is a ristretto.

If both sides come out 15ml, u have 30ml.
Means your latte is made with double ristretto! :o

Just flood the rest of your coffee cup with milk. Unless you are using a beer mug. :o
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top