(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

lordofthering

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2019
Messages
10,590
Reaction score
1,208
lazy coffee drinker here

What do you think of my coffee setup and anything i can improve?

Auto delonghi espresso maker. $1000 only
Boncafe espresso bean bought from NTUC

I been buying beans from the fine coffee company before and it taste okay and price wise is reasonable. But after that it too troublesome to order and everytime need to order many packets


Do you think changing the auto to a more expensive version will improve the taste or changing the taste? I was from semi-auto
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
lazy coffee drinker here

What do you think of my coffee setup and anything i can improve?

Auto delonghi espresso maker. $1000 only
Boncafe espresso bean bought from NTUC

I been buying beans from the fine coffee company before and it taste okay and price wise is reasonable. But after that it too troublesome to order and everytime need to order many packets


Do you think changing the auto to a more expensive version will improve the taste or changing the taste? I was from semi-auto
When you bought beans from FCC, do you notice a difference in taste compared to boncafe? Provided that you have adjusted the grind settings and monitor the flow accordingly.
 

idiotic84

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Any good place to try out Lelit Mara X? and any comparable model/brand that I can consider
Want try out a few brands before committing to one.
 

nubbyyy

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Any good place to try out Lelit Mara X? and any comparable model/brand that I can consider
Want try out a few brands before committing to one.
Some places which I know stock MaraX
- Highlander (I bought from them and could try out the machine at their cafe beforehand)
- Roundboyroasters (heard that they also let you try out the machine)
- Cowpresso
- Ace Home Barista

Not sure how price & service compares between them, please contact them and do your own research and come back and share your experience :)

I also considered Bezerra at Finecoffeecompany but didn't manage to try their machines.
StellaM stocks Rocket Espresso, not sure if you can try.
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
Any good place to try out Lelit Mara X? and any comparable model/brand that I can consider
Want try out a few brands before committing to one.
You can try Taka B1. They have a few Lelits there and can sample a few shots.
 

nubbyyy

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Hello!

If you want an integrated grinder with machine , out of the two I will go with the Breville Barista Pro. That's quite a popular beginner option in the United States espresso reddit.

BUT you can consider getting a separate grinder and machine for future-proofing, and better control. Built-in grinders are never as good as a standalone grinder. Also you may want to upgrade again in the future it's easier to upgrade grinder and machine separately. Yes the itch will come.. I moved from Delonghi EC685 + Breville Smart Grinder Pro to a new setup after 5 months.

For about the same price for the Breville you get can this Silvia + Rocky combo. Rocky grinder is OK for espresso.
https://www.brightcoffeecompany.com/product/rancilio-silvia-and-rocky-grinder-set/
Or machine only $1k for Silvia or Gaggia Classic
https://www.roundboyroasters.com/co...a-classic-pro-semi-automatic-espresso-machine
Either SIlvia or Gaggia Classic are popular beginner machines and should last you some time before you want to upgrade.

An alternative and better grinder to the Rocky is the DF64 - new and increasingly popular grinder
https://www.carousell.sg/p/single-d...-stainless-steel-itamill-burr-set-1076718731/
Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliations with any of these companies or have tried any of the machines above. I just spend too much time on /espresso reddit and this forum. I use a different machine & grinder but I'm trying to make recommendations based on your budget of $1,500

Good luck and welcome to the black hole of espresso
 

ragamuffin2

Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Messages
355
Reaction score
12
Hello!

If you want an integrated grinder with machine , out of the two I will go with the Breville Barista Pro. That's quite a popular beginner option in the United States espresso reddit.

BUT you can consider getting a separate grinder and machine for future-proofing, and better control. Built-in grinders are never as good as a standalone grinder. Also you may want to upgrade again in the future it's easier to upgrade grinder and machine separately. Yes the itch will come.. I moved from Delonghi EC685 + Breville Smart Grinder Pro to a new setup after 5 months.

For about the same price for the Breville you get can this Silvia + Rocky combo. Rocky grinder is OK for espresso.
https://www.brightcoffeecompany.com/product/rancilio-silvia-and-rocky-grinder-set/
Or machine only $1k for Silvia or Gaggia Classic
https://www.roundboyroasters.com/co...a-classic-pro-semi-automatic-espresso-machine
Either SIlvia or Gaggia Classic are popular beginner machines and should last you some time before you want to upgrade.

An alternative and better grinder to the Rocky is the DF64 - new and increasingly popular grinder
https://www.carousell.sg/p/single-d...-stainless-steel-itamill-burr-set-1076718731/
Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliations with any of these companies or have tried any of the machines above. I just spend too much time on /espresso reddit and this forum. I use a different machine & grinder but I'm trying to make recommendations based on your budget of $1,500

Good luck and welcome to the black hole of espresso
haha thx alot.. i choosing 2(grinder+machine) in 1 reason is house no space
 

ragamuffin2

Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Messages
355
Reaction score
12
Last edited:

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,348
Reaction score
15,791
2 in 1 is a terrible idea, the heat will transfer and destroy your beans.
 

chains

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Firstly u need to decide whether u want to treat coffee as a hobby or u just want to make delicious drinks as easily and quickly as possible. Regardless the grinder is important, many say more important than the machine. A second hand bb005 or a mignon can be got for less than 300. For me I want convenience, so will go with a machine that takes away as many variables out of your hands. Chasing grind size, dose weight, brew ratio, brew time is enough complication for me. The Rancillio and gaggia are solid recommends. I also understand why the linea mini, overpriced for what it is, is loved by so many people. It’s easy to make good tasting shots from it. How long a machine takes to get ready is also impt for me. 10 minutes is great, more than 20 minutes is a pain. Coffee as a hobby is time consuming and can easily get expensive. Even starting out is not that cheap.
 

ragamuffin2

Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Messages
355
Reaction score
12
ok guys i decide to bought breville bes878 because of the digital screen n make it easy for me to work on.. just now i try the coffee.. for first 2 shot is taste awful.. bt then 3rd one ok.. but i make a mess in my kitchen when i making the milk hahahaha.. it my first tme doing it this way.. not bad quite fun..
 

nubbyyy

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
ok guys i decide to bought breville bes878 because of the digital screen n make it easy for me to work on.. just now i try the coffee.. for first 2 shot is taste awful.. bt then 3rd one ok.. but i make a mess in my kitchen when i making the milk hahahaha.. it my first tme doing it this way.. not bad quite fun..
All the best for your caffeine journey. You will spend lots of time and beans playing around with your new machine, have fun!
 

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
5,967
Reaction score
170
yea.. but i feel bad for my aeropress n moka pot :(
Its still a good machine and if your coffee interests remain strong after 1-2 years, than you can eye for the next upgrade. I still have those moka pots, aeropress, even brikka also have. Now just a collection, reserved for those oily hainanese beans (dont ever try this with your breville).
 

ragamuffin2

Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Messages
355
Reaction score
12
hi guys i now got a little problem.. i keep don get the so called correct extraction.

if i can extract out between 8-12sec then end at 30sec i only can extract 27gram of water
once i try extract from 6sec i can get 36gram at 26sec..

i cant extract 36gram within 8-12sec end at 24-30 sec :(
always either side run off hahahahaha
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top