(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
yea, when you say how good the nespresso maestria is.

i nearly taken in by the word.


but heng ah got a lever machine, now i spend from $11 to $18 for freshly roasted coffee bean for around 20 shot about 250gram of coffee per month. using 12gram per shot on my La Pavoni Europiccola

out of the 20 shot.

the first week and the half around 8 espresso shot

the last 3 week or around 12 shot, i drink latte as the coffee is becoming stale

Wah you quite economical.

I'm buying approx 1 pack per week. Occasionally I will make for my wife.

$12 x 4 = $48 ( if get from Highlander )
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
For my offices and myself, i use about 2kg for $80+ with the Brewtus espresso machine.

If i continued to use my Nespresso, it would had costed me $250+ a month.
Nespresso is convenient but their machines don't last and extraction is too runny. The temperature is always too cold.

They are only using 5 grammes per shot.

If i saved all the $$$ in the last few years, i could had gotten a own roaster.

It's a pity locals don't know there's this types of m semi professional machines.
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
If i continued to use my Nespresso, it would had costed me $250+ a month.
Nespresso is convenient but their machines don't last and extraction is too runny. The temperature is always too cold.

They are only using 5 grammes per shot.

newer machines not lasting that I agree
extraction too runny and temp cold.. I think your machine is not working right. I don't have that issue.

5gm per shot is that is problem? taste lacking?
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
but heng ah got a lever machine, now i spend from $11 to $18 for freshly roasted coffee bean for around 20 shot about 250gram of coffee per month. using 12gram per shot on my La Pavoni Europiccola

out of the 20 shot.

the first week and the half i drink around 8 espresso shot cause it fresh

the last 3 week or around 12 shot, i drink latte as the coffee is becoming stale

U drinking 12 shots over 3 weeks, not much..

too many fun toys need to start saving for such toys.
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
I measured with a thermometer, it's at best 70+ degrees.

Extraction had been always runny.

Anyway i guess that's how Nespresso wants it to be.
It extracts for 10 seconds for 40ml of espresso by default.
It's running 3 times as fast.

The freshness preserved by the capsules do compensate but the texture is still lacking.

It takes me at least 2 cups of Nespresso to give me the awakening effect from the lower dosage. I can actually settle with just one cup with my current Brewtus, anything more is for greed and leisure.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
It takes me at least 2 cups of Nespresso to give me the awakening effect from the lower dosage. I can actually settle with just one cup with my current Brewtus, anything more is for greed and leisure.

wow.. U really addicted to caffeine.. :D

I am more the greed, leisure, fun, cool toy category, not for the awakening effect.. cold shower helps.. :D
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Espresso caffeine is no kick. Try drips for the kick

I had been drinking drips in the past. yes drips gets like 115-175mg of caffeine per cup. Monster drink only 140mg a 16oz drink.
office I still drink k-cup thats like 120mg vs espresso 60+mg for a shot.

do u get the kicks? I just cannot sleep if I intake too much caffeine but no kicks. maybe need coke? LOL

sorry to digress... this is funny
 
Last edited:

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
I alternate between my kalita, espresso and latte.

Sometimes espresso no volume. Setup time way longer than drinking time haha.
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
One thing I can think of the pro for lever machine is the real estate, it's as big as a grinder only. Space friendly in HDB apartments like ours.

xRns68L.jpg


Any HX machines that are small?
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
These manual lever machine very inaccurate in temp and pressure as there's basically no control like Aeropress.
I rather spend for something else.

HX boiler already is the size of a grinder, how can it be smaller.

They can't make the boiler smaller either, as the water must travel a certain distance to be that hot.

The other day i saw the Bezzera BZ10, it's about 20-30% more than the size of a Nespresso Lattissima+
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
One thing I can think of the pro for lever machine is the real estate, it's as big as a grinder only. Space friendly in HDB apartments like ours.

xRns68L.jpg


Any HX machines that are small?

Nice..Is that your setup? Are u able to get a full sized double shot with the pavoni?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Sorry for the confusion. Not mind.

I posted this pic as guide on the small foot print of the manual lever :)

no worries :) I'm just thinking of getting a la pavoni to experiment with manual levers to see if indeed the hype behind lever style extraction is true.

Anyway a maximatic is quite small too for a HX machine.
 
Last edited:

tlkchew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2001
Messages
21,372
Reaction score
35
Logo at back of machine because that will be the part facing the customer at a counter
 

Wryer

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2002
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
22
Currently a simple nespresso user here. Quite curious in upgrading my coffee experience with other machines. I'm no connoisseur, and my coffee intake has been steadying at one a day. Mostly Kopi-o on weekdays, and my nespresso on Friday nights and weekends.

I'm looking to improve my coffee experience especially during weekends. The nespresso has been good enough for me but I'm just itchy :o

How much improvement from the Nespresso experience can I get, assuming a budget of about $1k? TIA!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top