(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Can porlex or hario hand grinder do e job for espresso? Time nt a factor, strength wise since I'm a girl?

Not a good idea for espresso. The grind settings do not have enough resolution so it's often a hit or miss. The particle size are too inconsistent too. Best to save and get a Pharos or lido2 or a hausgrind (new version in metal is out). Or get a budget model from baratza.

Porlex is just barely decent for pour overs and moka pot, awful for french press (too much fines). But nothing can beat it's portability so I still use it while on the road.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I bought that for my office pantry. Stupid thing keeps breaking down after 6 mths of use. My staff kept complaining about it so much I ended up buying another one within the year and brought that home for myself to use. That thing can't handle heavy usage

Now using this from Krups in the office

ip075642.jpg


As for coffee, I just buy cheapo Bon Cafe beans from NTUC for the office pantry. My employees seems to like it but personally don't like it. I tried buying expensive ones from fancy cafe joints but now end up just get from Starbucks after I found a particular blend from them I like. U just need to keep trying different ones until U find the ones U like. Expensive doesn't mean good, cheap doesn't mean bad

Is the Krups able to make a decent espresso? My experience wit's super autos is that they are unable to grind fine enough to get a nice thick espresso. I used to grind my own and put it in the bypass doser.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Can porlex or hario hand grinder do e job for espresso? Time nt a factor, strength wise since I'm a girl?

my 5yr old daughter can do it... hmmm... I dont think u have issue. :s13:

are U still getting that NS Oscar?

Not a good idea for espresso. The grind settings do not have enough resolution so it's often a hit or miss. The particle size are too inconsistent too. Best to save and get a Pharos or lido2 or a hausgrind (new version in metal is out). Or get a budget model from baratza.

Porlex is just barely decent for pour overs and moka pot, awful for french press (too much fines). But nothing can beat it's portability so I still use it while on the road.

well, if she is getting those cheapo with pressurize portafilter it not going to matter much. esp when her total budget is $500
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Now slowly researching for a relatively decent (AND lasting) coffee machine for new home.

Saw Taka got sale the last time for some Kurps coffee machine. From the picture, it appears that it also has some coffee bean hopper on top as well with a milk forthing tube beside it. Anyone owns any Kurps coffee machine?

BTW, heard from a friend that most of those expresso machines advertising anything more than 15 bar of pressure is pretty much hogwash since a human being can't really taste anything 'better' even if the expresso machine produces like 100 bar of pressure on the coffee.

How true is that?

The common vibratory pump used in most machines is rated at 15 or 19bar. A regulator is added to lower the pressure to produce 9-10 bar at the group head.

Generally higher pressure means faster flow rate during extraction HOWEVER some experiments conducted have shown if pressure is too high the flow rate will be actually slower because the puck gets compacted so much.

Taste wise is subjective. Many are in agreement that Slow ramp up and preinfusion at low pressure seems to produce the best results.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
my 5yr old daughter can do it... hmmm... I dont think u have issue. :s13:

are U still getting that NS Oscar?



well, if she is getting those cheapo with pressurize portafilter it not going to matter much. esp when her total budget is $500

May want to consider saving a bit more and getting a portaspresso. Review seems good and made to last a lifetime.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
I bought that for my office pantry. Stupid thing keeps breaking down after 6 mths of use. My staff kept complaining about it so much I ended up buying another one within the year and brought that home for myself to use. That thing can't handle heavy usage

Now using this from Krups in the office

ip075642.jpg


As for coffee, I just buy cheapo Bon Cafe beans from NTUC for the office pantry. My employees seems to like it but personally don't like it. I tried buying expensive ones from fancy cafe joints but now end up just get from Starbucks after I found a particular blend from them I like. U just need to keep trying different ones until U find the ones U like. Expensive doesn't mean good, cheap doesn't mean bad

taste is very subjective. as long as u happy what I am to tell U off.
enjoy your drink!

I never had luck with Krups, Saeco and Jura makes decent espresso. maybe my standard low... :D
maybe just as low as avg italians.. :s13:
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
May want to consider saving a bit more and getting a portaspresso. Review seems good and made to last a lifetime.

then she need to get a aud$400 portapresso and a aud$360 hand grinder.
add shipping.. over sgd$500..I believe its sgd$500 not gbp$500.

not sure she is up for that level of trouble also.

alittle up at a time in no time will be up in 2k range for a HX.. LOL
 
Last edited:

Oppsuprlsr

Banned
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Messages
5,702
Reaction score
0
Is the Krups able to make a decent espresso? My experience wit's super autos is that they are unable to grind fine enough to get a nice thick espresso. I used to grind my own and put it in the bypass doser.

I no coffee connoisseur for me. As far as I'm concern, it works well enough for me.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
then she need to get a aud$400 portapresso and a aud$360 hand grinder.
add shipping.. over sgd$500..I believe its sgd$500 not gbp$500.

not sure she is up for that level of trouble also.

alittle up at a time in no time will be up in 2k range for a HX.. LOL

Portaspresso is in the middle between a hx and 500 krups espresso machine. Can produce something very decent for 800 dollars before getting a 2k hx. No need to get the Ross's grinder. A usd 175 lido 2 should do the job.
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
The common vibratory pump used in most machines is rated at 15 or 19bar. A regulator is added to lower the pressure to produce 9-10 bar at the group head.

Generally higher pressure means faster flow rate during extraction HOWEVER some experiments conducted have shown if pressure is too high the flow rate will be actually slower because the puck gets compacted so much.

Taste wise is subjective. Many are in agreement that Slow ramp up and preinfusion at low pressure seems to produce the best results.
If you are on a vib pump which naturally starts with a short low ramp followed by a high almost straight line of pressure of say 12 bars.
You'll probably want to use lesser powder with finer grinding.
Maybe where you read are from Americans or Aussies who tend to applying heavy dosages, which will have issues with perforation with higher pressure.

Slow start for pre-infusion, does theoretically provides a cushion to keep the puck better in place while extracting. Maybe a better looking puck, a little more uniform extraction, but doubt it will make it tasting much better.

If the grinder had been tuned correctly and tamped uniformly, with the right dosage.
You don't need pre-infusion. Of course, it's harder to use lesser dose but it does work.
In fact, by coffee science, the pre-infusion prolongs the extraction period which may not be a good thing for the top layer of puck with over exposure of hot water.

But then we can also dispute that by saying the over exposure adds another identify of rougher notes to make your espresso tasting more distinguishable.

Well it's up to the taste buds to decide.
 
Last edited:

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
then she need to get a aud$400 portapresso and a aud$360 hand grinder.
add shipping.. over sgd$500..I believe its sgd$500 not gbp$500.

not sure she is up for that level of trouble also.

alittle up at a time in no time will be up in 2k range for a HX.. LOL
She will also needs to buy an additional pid kettle.
Or figure out a way with a thermometer

I personally think the extraction period is too long and it might be producing something more to the bitter side.
 

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
I bought that for my office pantry. Stupid thing keeps breaking down after 6 mths of use. My staff kept complaining about it so much I ended up buying another one within the year and brought that home for myself to use. That thing can't handle heavy usage

Now using this from Krups in the office

ip075642.jpg


As for coffee, I just buy cheapo Bon Cafe beans from NTUC for the office pantry. My employees seems to like it but personally don't like it. I tried buying expensive ones from fancy cafe joints but now end up just get from Starbucks after I found a particular blend from them I like. U just need to keep trying different ones until U find the ones U like. Expensive doesn't mean good, cheap doesn't mean bad
Actually Delonghi is as bad as Krups.

If you need to get an AIO, maybe Jura.
Can try your luck with Philip Saeco if on a budget.

If i'm not wrong WMF has office range.
They do have it here in Aussie.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Portaspresso is in the middle between a hx and 500 krups espresso machine. Can produce something very decent for 800 dollars before getting a 2k hx. No need to get the Ross's grinder. A usd 175 lido 2 should do the job.

I think she makes drink with milk, anything to recommend to really steam milk not heat and frother like the nespresso?
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
She will also needs to buy an additional pid kettle.
Or figure out a way with a thermometer

I personally think the extraction period is too long and it might be producing something more to the bitter side.

Pid kettle - very creative ppl. Me like it!
Lucky it's cheap like sgd$100
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Actually Delonghi is as bad as Krups.

If you need to get an AIO, maybe Jura.
Can try your luck with Philip Saeco if on a budget.

If i'm not wrong WMF has office range.
They do have it here in Aussie.

How much would it cost? Oz is like aud$9k
http://www.wmf-coffeemachines.com/products/bean-to-cup/wmf-1200-s.html?type=rss

Buy in Malaysia but still 7-8k. Serious upgrade for an office.
http://www.cuppa.com.my/wmf-1200s-professional-coffee-machine/

A nice jura like half that? My old office has like 10-15 ppl used a jura f9. No issue build like a bull
http://www.wholelattelove.com/JuraCapresso/jurs_xs90.cfm
 
Last edited:

calbay

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
743
Reaction score
7
How much would it cost? Oz is like aud$9k
WMF 1200 S:Bean to Cup:Kaffeemaschinen

Buy in Malaysia but still 7-8k. Serious upgrade for an office.
WMF 1200S Commercial Coffee Machine | Cuppa Coffee Boutique

A nice jura like half that? My old office has like 10-15 ppl used a jura f9. No issue build like a bull
Jura Impressa XS90 One Touch from Whole Latte Love
I'm not sure, sure on the higher side, particularly over here.

A few years ago, i was in Singapore the guy at Takashimaya told me it's $3/4k iirc. Or was it a Jura office range? Forgot about that.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
She will also needs to buy an additional pid kettle.
Or figure out a way with a thermometer

I personally think the extraction period is too long and it might be producing something more to the bitter side.

Seems No need thermometer if u are able to follow a established routine. Pid kettle not necessary too as Ross just pours off the boil. Pid kettle more useful for pourover but then not necessary too if u have a good routine and not keen to experiment with temp profiling.

Seems the way to go with their screw models is to do a fast initial spin to quickly build the pressure and slow down there after.

I would get a set but I'm bogged down with too many stuff already. Just bought a moka pot and Results have been surprisingly excellent.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top