(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
Recently i lazy.

Froth milk directly in my cup then extract an espresso in.
About 50ml milk with double shot 50ml espresso.
Taste pretty good.

Done in less than one minute.
Holy sh*t, never heard of this technique b4. How does this work? You froth milk using your porcelain cup/mug?
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
Yup, only if i'm drinking just one cup for myself.
I'm using a taller cup but i stop the frothing a little earlier so i won't over heat the milk.
I think it's less than 8 secs of frothing as the amount of milk isn't much.

Actually the timing to make a full latte is the same as using the jar, since i can froth and extract at the same time with my machine. Can also be done within a min.
Just that i want to eliminate the need to clean another jar.

If i'm making 2-3 cups at a time, i still use the jar, cause it's faster and easier.

BTW i was studying this guy in how he do latte art and how he froth so easily.


I copied him, just position the steam wand in and leave it while i do the extraction.
And it works! Handsfree!

Now anyone from my family can do it.
Only part i am needed is to calibrate the grinder by turning a few round, when i change a new pack of beans or when the beans loose freshness.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Recently i lazy.

Froth milk directly in my cup then extract an espresso in.
About 50ml milk with double shot 50ml espresso.
Taste pretty good.

Done in less than one minute.

Did u have to tune your steam boiler pressure? 50ml is quite a small amount of milk. Wouldn't the milk be all over e place?My machine needs at least 150mls to get a good result.
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
No modification done. The steam is still powerful.

I'm not sure if it's exactly 50ml but have some room to prevent splatter, it's a tall cup.

I position the tip of the wand to be facing the bottom round edge of the cup so the air be circulating in a circular direction.

Actually i don't even need to make the foam, can just submerge it deeper in which makes it even easier
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Recently i lazy.

Froth milk directly in my cup then extract an espresso in.
About 50ml milk with double shot 50ml espresso.
Taste pretty good.

Done in less than one minute.


I was lazy like U b4, now my cup wouldn't fit below my HX
now I just steam 2 cup of milk at the same time. easier.
my my kido, I just add white coco power and steam...
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Now anyone from my family can do it.
Only part i am needed is to calibrate the grinder by turning a few round, when i change a new pack of beans or when the beans loose freshness.

amazing! your family is willing to pick up the skill..
my spouse wouldn't do it.. when I am away she drinks her nespresso.
Going to Chicago for Biz.. will be hunting down some BowTruss!
Coffee – bowtruss_retail
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
HG one burr alignment

After spending some time playing with the Pharos(dismantling and fixing alignment), I decided to 'play' with my HG One's alignment too. To see if I can further align the burrs. My pre-2014 version needs more work as compared to the 2014 version, where you can just loosen the screws under the burr collar and align to your hearts content.

To check for alignment, I use a piece of paper and slot it under and between the burrs where the grounds exit. Ensuring the paper slides all around the burr smoothly. Then I remove the paper, adjust to a finer grind setting, rinse and repeat until the paper doesn't slide around smoothly and get stuck in a particular position.

Paper shims are used at the gearbox case.
XWovnqv.jpg



End result? My usual grind settings are tighter by 1/8 of a turn. My previous settings are where the 2 dots meet.
mqxRHQW.jpg


I don't usually count the number of turns but it seems less turns are needed now and it's a tiny bit easier to crank.

Dialing in both the Pharos and the HG One, I managed to get them both to produce 24gm of espresso using 18gm dose in 28secs. I actually prefer the taste from the Pharos. The HG One is a tiny bit more acidic but this is strictly IMO, personal preference. In no way does this mean the Pharos is better. They are both amazing grinders esp the Pharos, which is absolute value for money. The HG One, which costs 4-5 times more, beats Pharos hands down for ease of use and amazing quality construction.

I've already sold my Lelit. My Lido2 has been collecting dust for some time now and I might try it for espresso when I got the time.
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
amazing! your family is willing to pick up the skill..
my spouse wouldn't do it.. when I am away she drinks her nespresso.
Going to Chicago for Biz.. will be hunting down some BowTruss!
Coffee – bowtruss_retail
They been eyeing and waiting for me to say it's fine to play with my machine for a long time.
Like a teenager hoping to drive out his dad's car.
My kids and my wife are fighting to do the coffee making job everyday, the youngest one is 13.

It's good to see the kids start drinking coffee than drinking soda especially for me since my dad lost his legs from diabetes and had kidney failure..

From grind, froth till extract, won't take much longer to use than using a Nespresso. Maybe not even a moment longer since i can now pull two at one go.

They were not using my Nespresso cause they were saying the capsules are too exp. So not much adjustment time needed.
The electric frother from Nespresso wasn't easy to clean either.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
any opinions on this coffee machine?
w-ww.kickstarter.com/projects/236195807/arist-brews-coffee-like-the-best-baristas-anytime?ref=recommended
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
HG one burr alignment

I don't usually count the number of turns but it seems less turns are needed now and it's a tiny bit easier to crank.

Dialing in both the Pharos and the HG One, I managed to get them both to produce 24gm of espresso using 18gm dose in 28secs. I actually prefer the taste from the Pharos. The HG One is a tiny bit more acidic but this is strictly IMO, personal preference. In no way does this mean the Pharos is better. They are both amazing grinders esp the Pharos, which is absolute value for money. The HG One, which costs 4-5 times more, beats Pharos hands down for ease of use and amazing quality construction.

I've already sold my Lelit. My Lido2 has been collecting dust for some time now and I might try it for espresso when I got the time.

I'm able to get 25 turns for a 18g dose, about 15secs of grinding. THis is actually faster than a rancilio rocky! The HG one is the best buy of all my coffee related purchases. No more retention and very easy to switch between different coffees when using the stepped version. I use the HG One for brewed coffee too now since is very easy to switch it back to espresso mode. Able to grind one dose for kalita in about 7 secs.

Do let us know how's the lido 2. I'm itching to buy it but having 2nd thoughts about the glass catch cup and the large size. Need something easy to be carried around in a back pack and durable.
 

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
They been eyeing and waiting for me to say it's fine to play with my machine for a long time.
Like a teenager hoping to drive out his dad's car.
My kids and my wife are fighting to do the coffee making job everyday, the youngest one is 13.

It's good to see the kids start drinking coffee than drinking soda especially for me since my dad lost his legs from diabetes and had kidney failure..

From grind, froth till extract, won't take much longer to use than using a Nespresso. Maybe not even a moment longer since i can now pull two at one go.

They were not using my Nespresso cause they were saying the capsules are too exp. So not much adjustment time needed.
The electric frother from Nespresso wasn't easy to clean either.

diabetic and sugar... simple sugar from Rice is a problem too.
well my spouse do not froth milk, just nuke and drink.

having a older kick willing to help is great! I have to wait and see if that will happen for me.

grind, heating plus froth u to extract on HX is just as fast as nespresso. my case nespresso is faster since I dont have to froth.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
I'm able to get 25 turns for a 18g dose, about 15secs of grinding. THis is actually faster than a rancilio rocky! The HG one is the best buy of all my coffee related purchases. No more retention and very easy to switch between different coffees when using the stepped version. I use the HG One for brewed coffee too now since is very easy to switch it back to espresso mode. Able to grind one dose for kalita in about 7 secs.

I agree!
rocky 50mm burr vs 83mm burr, 83mm wins hands down..

I love to own one down the road! they have like 20+ in stock now.

need to buy a damn 1.5 ton AC 1st.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
any opinions on this coffee machine?
w-ww.kickstarter.com/projects/236195807/arist-brews-coffee-like-the-best-baristas-anytime?ref=recommended

if its engineers well, maybe its better than Jura or Saeco. A famous person giving it an OK.... well. maybe for marketing if she just cares about the $$ not reputation.

it is very popular over $188k (target $120K) and still have 26 days to go.
if U are in the market for a Jura or Saeco, I will bet my money here and give it a try. its just usd$299, cheap
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236195807/arist-brews-coffee-like-the-best-baristas-anytime

aa61ea2ed935e6f8dacc26f8458f9eaf_large.png
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
definately cheaper than saeco range of all in one. perhaps buy this to tong and a manual machine 3 years later when i move into a new flat. If only it has a frothing wand...
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
definately cheaper than saeco range of all in one. perhaps buy this to tong and a manual machine 3 years later when i move into a new flat. If only it has a frothing wand...


The auto configuration sure not accurate since coffee are mostly sold in blends. Even if it's a single origin, different estates needs different grind level.
There's no full demostration of the espresso making process nor it mentioned in the entire page it's for espresso.
Milk part sure very messy to clean too.


Too many things that it is very unlikely to do well.
I'll rather buy a nespresso than this if i want something that does things simplier.


but manual control is still the best.
 

tyrtok

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
The auto configuration sure not accurate since coffee are mostly sold in blends. Even if it's a single origin, different estates needs different grind level.
There's no full demostration of the espresso making process nor it mentioned in the entire page it's for espresso.
Milk part sure very messy to clean too.


Too many things that it is very unlikely to do well.
I'll rather buy a nespresso than this if i want something that does things simplier.


but manual control is still the best.

indeed. the milk part is a stupid design imo. if only they output a HX and a frothing wand.

manual wise i should probably start saving now. machine + grinder + accessories, im looking at 3k. caffine investment.
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
indeed. the milk part is a stupid design imo. if only they output a HX and a frothing wand.

manual wise i should probably start saving now. machine + grinder + accessories, im looking at 3k. caffine investment.
cannot be la bro.

Heat exchanger the boiler needs to be big so the water can travel a certain distance of hot surface to reach the right temperature.

If put in an all in one, sure big like one medium size microwave oven.

Cheapest set up in the market with grinder and accessories can still be below $2k.

Expobar's Direct Pre-Infusion Grouphead Archives - Fine Coffee Company

It's about e same price as in USA, cheaper than Australia.

If you go Thailand, you see a lot of smaller cafes using this expobar office range for commercial use and i tested at the showroom. Actually really not bad and does its job almost as good as my bezzera bz10.

Should be quite a heavy duty machine if u ask me.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top