(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

chrisongtj

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I recently bought a Silvia and Rocky. Wish I went with a different grinder instead because it's messy but after some fiddling around I managed to produce what I felt like a respectable espresso.

I previously used a Sunbeam EM6900, which is a twin thermoblock machine as well as the accompanying em0480 grinder. Looking for a better home for it now..
 

chrisongtj

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Should have stayed in Melbourne! (i'm still here kekeke).

Hehe yes... very convenient to have freshly roasted coffee of so many varieties so easily available.

I personally frequented Grinders in Lygon for their beans regularly, cheap with knowledgeable staff. There were quite a few Starbucks outlets that closed down simply because awesome coffee was available everywhere else for cheaper.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
the guy demostrating the machine looks like he is going to have a heart attack at anytime.

They did not show how the cleaning should be done.
Won't the milk and syrup part make it damn messy?

How does the bean weighing thing works? Sounds csb.
So after weighing the machine can pick or add a few more beans?

Removing physical button control is a very bad idea.
Such wireless connection is very unstable imo.

If they will ever sell at the orginal rrp US$699, i think i can get a better machine with that money.


u can find a superauto machine at that price point in SG?

jura is like $2k and up. Saeco higher sgd$2.8k
Jura appliances / products - Lion City Company Online Store
http://www.philips.com.sg/c-m-ho/co...riceBoxes=&page=&layout=12.subcategory.p-grid

well we not buying.. let the 1300 backers worry. if they happy great.
they sold a good story and ppl are buying into it. its just $299, not a hell lot of money to cry over
 
Last edited:

chikyblink

Master Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
4
anybody knows where to get Scott Rao's ebook about espresso mastery?
Amazon is not selling anymore

Sent from GAGT Android App
 

EatSnakeWarrior

Honorary Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
139,648
Reaction score
326
I recently bought a Silvia and Rocky. Wish I went with a different grinder instead because it's messy but after some fiddling around I managed to produce what I felt like a respectable espresso.

I previously used a Sunbeam EM6900, which is a twin thermoblock machine as well as the accompanying em0480 grinder. Looking for a better home for it now..

I bought a rocky, it has so much left over beans inside after each grind
 

chrisongtj

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Kind of regret getting the rocky. Wish I went with something like a Baratza Vario or Mazzer. But $$$. I'll use rocky for while till I can upgrade.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
anybody knows where to get Scott Rao's ebook about espresso mastery?
Amazon is not selling anymore

Sent from GAGT Android App

I bought it from amazon. Its unusual to pull the book out from the store because it was only available from amazon.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
bukit timah have

I think that the other one called the professional barista's handbook (Can easily get this from *ahem* sources. pls buy if its good). The one chickblink is referring to is "Espresso Extraction: Measurement and Mastery" and only avaialbe from amazon ebooks. I have both but if you already have the basics of espresso and would like to focus more on espresso then then "Espresso Extraction" is a must read.

The other book I recommend is Coffee Obsession by Annette Moldvaer of Square Mile. Good for understanding coffee origins and useful if you would like to try roasting.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I bought a rocky, it has so much left over beans inside after each grind

What I do is to raise and close the top cover a few times to use the air to force our the left over grinds. This has to be done while the machine is still grinding. you will see quite a lot exit out from the chute.

Some people modded their cover to so that the seal is tighter to force more air thru the hopper when they are tapping it.
 

chrisongtj

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
mapcap, rocky etc.. they all have retention issues and there will be waste.
to get free coffee, just start grinder and throw away some coffee.

get a HG One if U hate waste. still 7 in stock. their burrs rates for 1800 lb of coffee or 850kg. TI coated ones maybe can go 2000lbs


Is this better in terms of grind compared to rocky? Hand grinding looks like a lot of trouble, hehe. Looks like takes up a lot of space too.
 

chrisongtj

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Browsing the HB forums, seems like the consensus is that Rocky was good choice in the past, but now with other options like Barataza Vario, Rocky is subpar and overpriced.
 

Strikk

Master Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
4,563
Reaction score
537
u can find a superauto machine at that price point in SG?

jura is like $2k and up. Saeco higher sgd$2.8k
Jura appliances / products - Lion City Company Online Store
http://www.philips.com.sg/c-m-ho/co...riceBoxes=&page=&layout=12.subcategory.p-grid

well we not buying.. let the 1300 backers worry. if they happy great.
they sold a good story and ppl are buying into it. its just $299, not a hell lot of money to cry over

For Jura, price from 1250(micro 1) to 7150 (Giga 5). lioncity website is outdated with old machine. go to www.ricmas.com for jura official SEA website.

For saeco, price start from 899 (minuto) to 3199 (gran barists).

if you r interested or have questions in home use/office use/commercial use machines, do pm me, I can help as im in this line.
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
Not sure how is it bad. Because it's stepped? Stepped has their own advantages. Not for me though.

Anyway beans are oily, they will clump and stick on their own nature. Different beans are also different in their level of oiliness and stickiness. Fresh beans are also more "wet".


All grinders will retain more or less, nothing much to do with the brand.
The reason why hand grinders retain lesser is because you have to dismantle everytime and can easier hand held it to knock to tilt or whatever. It's wireless, it's easier to manipulate and empty the grinder but requires much more time and effort.
An on demand grinder may takes less than 10 secs to on and grind straight to your portafilter .
Hand grinders have to weigh the beans, dismantle the grinder, grind to powder then transfer the powder to your portafilter.

If I can spend that effort to eliminate retention on a hand grinder. I believe I can also eliminate quite a bit with an on demand grinder.

If you ask me, do what you are comfortable with is more important. And is it used by only you or you are sharing with other users? Are they comfortable?
For me, I'll just tap the nozzle area and most retained coffee will drop off.

No matter whether it's Rocky or a Mazzer.
You can't escape the fact there's powder trapped between the burrs. So it maybe necessary to push out some powder to remove those that are not fresh, before your first cup.

Whatever the grinder's brand is, it is still the user in control. The grinder is dumb. I think speed and ease of use is important to me than a little wastage.

Especially when it's my whole family or my colleagues are using it. Can't expect everyone will want to do hand grinding. Spending so many minutes and effort.
So on demand grinders with automatic timing certainly is my choice.
Yes I've a little more wastage but more people are enjoying and help me finish the bags in time before going wasted, so I'm absolutely fine.


If you hate retention and willing to spend much more time and effort, then maybe get a hand grinder.
 
Last edited:

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
Browsing the HB forums, seems like the consensus is that Rocky was good choice in the past, but now with other options like Barataza Vario, Rocky is subpar and overpriced.

Rating from Amazon don't sound so.
Rocky is cheaper than Vario too.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top