(GPGT)Espresso machine hoot

Sylar22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
25,903
Reaction score
13,169
This is what I used to do to get finer foam when I was using a pannarello style wand with the Jura
CoffeeGeek - Frothing for Newbies & Intermediates

Check this out about the pressurized portafilter. I suppose if use fresh beans grinded at the correct size it should still make good espresso. I suppose the capsule machines work the same way.

How a Pressurized or Enhanced Portafilter Works

Thanks for the info ! I've read up quite a bit but there's so much difference in theory and when i actually steam the milk hahaa. The steam wand really cmi -.-. Anw any suggestions for an economical grinder ? Is the delonghi KG89 any good?
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Thanks for the info ! I've read up quite a bit but there's so much difference in theory and when i actually steam the milk hahaa. The steam wand really cmi -.-. Anw any suggestions for an economical grinder ? Is the delonghi KG89 any good?

Why not consider a quality handgrinder if u don't mind a bit of work. I just placed an order for the feldgrind. About 200 sgd. can still make quality espresso. (Shipping is just notoriously slow) if not consider one of the baratza offerings. I used an old delonghi flat burr model before. But upgraded cos the particle size is too inconsistent. To much fines and boulders.
 

derazor

Banned
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
28,105
Reaction score
3
Why not consider a quality handgrinder if u don't mind a bit of work. I just placed an order for the feldgrind. About 200 sgd. can still make quality espresso. (Shipping is just notoriously slow) if not consider one of the baratza offerings. I used an old delonghi flat burr model before. But upgraded cos the particle size is too inconsistent. To much fines and boulders.

correct. buy a good grinder will be the last for you to upgrade in your coffee journey. The machine is the accessory for the espresso machine, not the other way round
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
Hard to won't upgrade with a hand grinder.

My gf used to say use a whisk for her cakes is good enough too.
Ordered a kitchenaid 6 months later.

Lol
 

Sylar22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
25,903
Reaction score
13,169
Why not consider a quality handgrinder if u don't mind a bit of work. I just placed an order for the feldgrind. About 200 sgd. can still make quality espresso. (Shipping is just notoriously slow) if not consider one of the baratza offerings. I used an old delonghi flat burr model before. But upgraded cos the particle size is too inconsistent. To much fines and boulders.

I saw some reviews on the baratza encore is it any good? Got any lobang hahaha. Saw the breville one not bad also.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,806
I saw some reviews on the baratza encore is it any good? Got any lobang hahaha. Saw the breville one not bad also.

Get something which grinds straight to the portafilter, with timer and stepless.

Once you go stepless, you can grind how fine you want.
Timer is important and very helpful in maintaining consistency.
 

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
12,966
Reaction score
20
Thanks for the info ! I've read up quite a bit but there's so much difference in theory and when i actually steam the milk hahaa. The steam wand really cmi -.-. Anw any suggestions for an economical grinder ? Is the delonghi KG89 any good?
Actually no point asking here.
What's good really depends on what's important to you.

For convenience, like what the other guy said, an on demand grinder with timer will be better. I think something with a small hopper 250gr is good.

And don't bother looking that far from overseas with zero technical support.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
This baby is like usd$2.8k, very even grinds compare to most grinder as it a filtered according to the oz barista in the competition. This thing is huge!
EM 43
 

Sylar22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
25,903
Reaction score
13,169
Saw a lot of comparision between the baratza precisio and the rancillio rocky. Might get one of those though.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Saw a lot of comparision between the baratza precisio and the rancillio rocky. Might get one of those though.

If u do intend to clean weekly make sure removing the burr wouldn't lead to adjustment again

There are alot videos on cleaning, u may want to find one that suit your needs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3A6O9cMtmI

Iirc a euraka mignon MCI go for like rm1.2k in Malaysia.
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
LOL who the hell clean weekly!?
LOL

I am the hell who clean it weekly, my machine weekly too.
Ppl do clean fridge out weekly too, I don't do it but I met a few ppl do.
Ppl clean cars weekly too..

Ppl like hg one as cleaning freq is min

How often do u clean? Coffee oils can gum up threads etc, just make your life hard on a later date.
 
Last edited:

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Hard to won't upgrade with a hand grinder.

My gf used to say use a whisk for her cakes is good enough too.
Ordered a kitchenaid 6 months later.

Lol

Lol depends on the amount made at one time i guess. 2 cupcakes ok but a full 10 inch one is going to be hard work. Same thing if you are just making 1 cup for yourself with a hand grinder is fine. but for the whole family is going to be alot of trouble.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Lol depends on the amount made at one time i guess. 2 cupcakes ok but a full 10 inch one is going to be hard work. Same thing if you are just making 1 cup for yourself with a hand grinder is fine. but for the whole family is going to be alot of trouble.

+1
10 chars
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
I saw some reviews on the baratza encore is it any good? Got any lobang hahaha. Saw the breville one not bad also.

ive never seen breville in singapore but it seems like a good value for money set up. Papa sells baratza but i only saw virtuoso models and above. The encore seems to be their entry level one.

Which Baratza Coffee Grinder is right for you? | Cup And Brew

THis website seems to recommend at least the virtuoso for espresso. My guess is that the burr mount is more stable for the virtuoso. Perhaps the mount on the encore is plastic. More stable mount = more even particles and output and more consistent espresso. At that price you could look into a lelit or a 2nd hand rocky.
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
This baby is like usd$2.8k, very even grinds compare to most grinder as it a filtered according to the oz barista in the competition. This thing is huge!
EM 43

Can try it at nylon coffee. I think they use it for their filter brew! I was seriously considering it for before i bought the HG one but it was as large as a mince meat grinder you see at the butcher so I had to shelve the plan until I could get a bigger kitchen. :s13:
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Can try it at nylon coffee. I think they use it for their filter brew! I was seriously considering it for before i bought the HG one but it was as large as a mince meat grinder you see at the butcher so I had to shelve the plan until I could get a bigger kitchen. :s13:

Saw on the video it's crazy big big!!!! No way I will buy that.
My goal is still hg one!
 

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
If u do intend to clean weekly make sure removing the burr wouldn't lead to adjustment again

There are alot videos on cleaning, u may want to find one that suit your needs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3A6O9cMtmI

Iirc a euraka mignon MCI go for like rm1.2k in Malaysia.

The "perfect" home grinder.....
1. Doses accurate to 0.1g (Ala HG one, Baratza Forte)
2. Insignificant Grind retention and static (ala HG One, Forte, Vario)
3. Small and neat (ala Lelit pL53, mignon)
4. Powerful motor that won't break down (Ala Robur/K10)
5. Easy to dismantle, clean and reassemble. (porlex)
6. Even particle size ala ek43 (also able to go bimodal or unimodal depending on your mood that day)
7. Able to dump all the beans into the hopper without fear of going stale.
8. durable - (Robur/k10/k30)
9. Fast - triple dose in 3 secs (k30)
10. Easy to adjust grind and easy to revert (I'm leaning towards microstepped grinders for this) - HG one, some macap models.
11. Comforts you when you screwed up and pulled a bad shot...
 
Last edited:

Lazy_Tiger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
21
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top