(GPGT) RR Home Kitchen

Starbutt

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2015
Messages
7,220
Reaction score
13
Fresh herbs directly from France. Wack roasted chicken.

dpnoive.jpg
What temperature and timing do you use for your chicken?

So far for me 220C for 15mins followed by 185C for another 45-60mins depending on size of bird gives me the best result. Skin is nicely brown and meat is still relatively tender and juicy.

Chef steps have a nice video on youtube on easy way to truss a chicken. Haven't tried it myself but it seems to make sense not to bound the chicken thighs to the body to get maximum exposure.



Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 

RoyalRookie

Master Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
0
What temperature and timing do you use for your chicken?

So far for me 220C for 15mins followed by 185C for another 45-60mins depending on size of bird gives me the best result. Skin is nicely brown and meat is still relatively tender and juicy.

Chef steps have a nice video on youtube on easy way to truss a chicken. Haven't tried it myself but it seems to make sense not to bound the chicken thighs to the body to get maximum exposure.



Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

Depends on the recipe really. I slap butter and herbs under the skin and it retains its moisture superbly. Trussing the chicken isnt necessary too. Fats = confirm crispy. Max I will do is to wrap the wings tip with foil to prevent them from burning.
 

Starbutt

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2015
Messages
7,220
Reaction score
13
Depends on the recipe really. I slap butter and herbs under the skin and it retains its moisture superbly. Trussing the chicken isnt necessary too. Fats = confirm crispy. Max I will do is to wrap the wings tip with foil to prevent them from burning.
I did the butter thing once as well but afraid it may clot up the arteries.

Tempted to try brining someday but can never find enough space in my fridge to store for overnight brining.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
9,339
Reaction score
0
STAB?? Serious sia.... Use such atas knife somemore. I heart pain for global.

Pic pic pic!! mafia pic show show.

I think I wouldn't get good knife or I will be quite protective. My hb washes knifes in the dishwasher. I almost wanted to faint.

Serious. I got the pic somewhere, lazy to dig.

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/design-your-own-knife/sakai-region/kiritsuke/sakai-damascus-240mm-kiritsuke/prod_1312.html

Just wash with detergent and warm soapy water. Then pat dry and hang up. Or leave on a tea towel to dry. Never keep straight in drawer, as there is still moisture on the handle.

Jelly jelly jelly!!!

Mai jelly, save 1500 dollars and u can be the same. Actually, I'm coming back to SG soon... gonna go kitchenware shopping, aiming for a kitchenaide and some molds and cake rings. If u keen and able to go out, you are welcome. I'm a btss btw... :s13:
 

chrisss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
23,775
Reaction score
13
Invest in some good knives, stones and diamond rod.

Better than what u r using. This pull thru sharperners are actuallu no good for the blades.

im using the same sharpener.
why is it no good?
I find it very convenient and it does the work.
cant tell it damaging my knives visually

*btw i also have the sharpening rod as I bought the whole set of knives, is it better than the pulling type?
 
Last edited:

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2001
Messages
103,276
Reaction score
10,918
I'm using Zwilling, don't bear to buy too expensive stuff.
Wanted to get a Japanese knife from Tokyo but so exp!!!

it's not THAT expensive compared to sg... at least 2x the price here.

1 got a pair of VG10 with me and my waifu's names engraved, kinda small gift for our wedding. super sharp and no one in the house use them except us.

let the maid use a cheaper damascus knife cos she scared of the VG10.

the only down side ish japanese dun have choppers/cleavers in their traditional knives.
 

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2001
Messages
103,276
Reaction score
10,918
im using the same sharpener.
why is it no good?
I find it very convenient and it does the work.
cant tell it damaging my knives visually

*btw i also have the sharpening rod as I bought the whole set of knives, is it better than the pulling type?

get a sharpening stone better. for home use, a 1000 grit and a 3000-4000 grit would be sufficient. i got a 6000 grit stone for about 50 bucks during a trip to japan, but that was on sale. else that money would probably get me a 3000-4000 grit stone. already had a 1000 grit at home cos my FIL used to be a chef. he gave it to me knowing i cook too.

the sharpener is just not good/fine enuff. not really 'damaging' ur knives. sharpening knives is like sharpening pencils. the pencils gets shorter. fine stones gives sharper edge that last longer and requires less sharpening, and sharp knives cuts effortlessly and lasts longer. in the end ur knives can last a long time. just like ur pencils remained sharp all the time, it last a long time.
 

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2002
Messages
19,647
Reaction score
55
get a sharpening stone better. for home use, a 1000 grit and a 3000-4000 grit would be sufficient. i got a 6000 grit stone for about 50 bucks during a trip to japan, but that was on sale. else that money would probably get me a 3000-4000 grit stone. already had a 1000 grit at home cos my FIL used to be a chef. he gave it to me knowing i cook too.

the sharpener is just not good/fine enuff. not really 'damaging' ur knives. sharpening knives is like sharpening pencils. the pencils gets shorter. fine stones gives sharper edge that last longer and requires less sharpening, and sharp knives cuts effortlessly and lasts longer. in the end ur knives can last a long time. just like ur pencils remained sharp all the time, it last a long time.

am i right to say stones are universal? regardless of what knives you use? japan/german?
 

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
9,339
Reaction score
0
Natural stones the best. Cost few hundred to thousands depend on size. Prefer jp stuffs.

I'm using 240 /800 for my work. I cut cakes most of the time so it is ok. Even for my home cooking it's more than enough.

Plan on getting 1k/3k stones. Wanna bring the edge out better

Sent from gold coast using GAGT
 

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
9,339
Reaction score
0
im using the same sharpener.
why is it no good?
I find it very convenient and it does the work.
cant tell it damaging my knives visually

*btw i also have the sharpening rod as I bought the whole set of knives, is it better than the pulling type?
It's the angle of the bevel on the pull thru which are crap. Every knife is different. Beside the material is always the cheap one. Prefer other stones where u know what u r buying.

I prefer a under 20 bevel degree edge. Sharper and nice to use. 20 is ok last longer but not sharp enough for my use.

Sent from gold coast using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top