GPU for 27" 2560x1440 resolution

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
"Actually GTX 670 or 680 is more than enough to max everything, and because of 1440p IPS screens, you can off AA, which is one of the most intensive gpu harvester. Just a tip "


u quote me so i thought u teaching me mah. because this tip i 10yr ago already know. :s12:
i also never say u are wrong all the while.
gtx670 and gtx670 ti-oc is different btw.
i just saying gtx780 can handle AA better than other cards
all is good now.

Hehe okay cool, we can't let the" burning" Singapore nowadays to get in this way! Hahaha
 

kingsen

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
1,410
Reaction score
31
Wah, I read all the replies from you guys, suddenly I feel like I'm living in a well.
So for a single display, is GTX 770 with 2GB vram sufficient? or GTX 780 with 3GB vram? I read from other source that higher resolution than 1080p might need higher vram,2gb barely make it.

GTX 770 now same price as GTX 680 but perform slightly better than 680 in some ways. So I was considering 770 and 780, but the price diffeence is at least $250++ (using palit as the cheaper reference)

Oh and yes I do play mmo like guild wars 2 etc, but currently looking for new mmo. I used to play competitve fps like CS / BS etc but also stopped due to work commitment.

So I was thinking which would be a better option for me as from what I've read;

GTX 770 2GB($6xx)same price as 680 - performance slightly better
GTX 780 3GB($9xx) at least $250-$300 more than GTX 770 - performance can reach 90% of titan ($15xx) , but price is around 65% of titan.

One last point is I'm using the FSP Aurum 550w gold modular, if I change GPU, I don't know do I need to change my PSU along also, it will be another sum of cash :(
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Wah, I read all the replies from you guys, suddenly I feel like I'm living in a well.
So for a single display, is GTX 770 with 2GB vram sufficient? or GTX 780 with 3GB vram? I read from other source that higher resolution than 1080p might need higher vram,2gb barely make it.

GTX 770 now same price as GTX 680 but perform slightly better than 680 in some ways. So I was considering 770 and 780, but the price diffeence is at least $250++ (using palit as the cheaper reference)

Oh and yes I do play mmo like guild wars 2 etc, but currently looking for new mmo. I used to play competitve fps like CS / BS etc but also stopped due to work commitment.

So I was thinking which would be a better option for me as from what I've read;

GTX 770 2GB($6xx)same price as 680 - performance slightly better
GTX 780 3GB($9xx) at least $250-$300 more than GTX 770 - performance can reach 90% of titan ($15xx) , but price is around 65% of titan.

One last point is I'm using the FSP Aurum 550w gold modular, if I change GPU, I don't know do I need to change my PSU along also, it will be another sum of cash :(

Hmm, where do you read from that 2gb is barely enough for 1440p? As far as my knowledge goes, 2gb is more than enough for anything up to 1440p, I believe those sources you read simply had not enough GPU power and not due to Vram.

Either GTX 770 or GTX 780, is really up to your cashflow, of course it's always the best to get the GTX 780, do remember that GTX 770 is using GK104 and GTX 780 using same as Titan GK110 but underlocked. I myself will be buying the non ref 780 from ASUS when it's out.

As for the 550w PSU, it's very stretched and limited, check
GeForce GTX 780 | Specifications | GeForce

the GPU itself will draw power of roughly 250W, but Nvidia recommended minimum of 600W for total PC usage, so if you are going to OC your CPU RAM and GPU, 550W is very risky, and might not supply enough. I would recommend at least a 700W or 750W. In case you need to add SLI or something. Also if you are going Non Reference Card, chances are the power drawn will be higher.
 

BlackSmokeInTheSky

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
529
Reaction score
0
Just sharing im using a 7970 on my 1440p monitor. I get 40-50 frames on Crysis 3 high setting with anti aliasing off.. looks good enough to me
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
How come no one mention the awesome 27" Korean monitors? :s13:
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
How come no one mention the awesome 27" Korean monitors? :s13:

Because those got bad build quality, only 1 year warranty, warranty also big hassle, because purchase only from Ebay.

I rather trust premium warranty, since IPS and PLS still suffers from Blacklight Bleeding or pixel
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
Because those got bad build quality, only 1 year warranty, warranty also big hassle, because purchase only from Ebay.

I rather trust premium warranty, since IPS and PLS still suffers from Blacklight Bleeding or pixel

Bo bian, I want a monitor for gaming that goes beyond 60hz. I don't want TN. At the current price it's just a stopgap for me until the next gen of 120hz monitors with DisplayPort come out.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Bo bian, I want a monitor for gaming that goes beyond 60hz. I don't want TN. At the current price it's just a stopgap for me until the next gen of 120hz monitors with DisplayPort come out.

Those Korea one can exceed 60hz to 120hz meh? Or overdrive to 75hz?

I don't think will come out anytime soon for IPS/PLS 120hz, market not big for 120hz and will cost a bomb too!
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
Those Korea one can exceed 60hz to 120hz meh? Or overdrive to 75hz?

I don't think will come out anytime soon for IPS/PLS 120hz, market not big for 120hz and will cost a bomb too!

Mine overclocked to 120hz. Gladiusgg one also should be can hit 120hz. :s13: No problem here, many others in the overclock.net forum also got a few success stories.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Mine overclocked to 120hz. Gladiusgg one also should be can hit 120hz. :s13: No problem here, many others in the overclock.net forum also got a few success stories.

Wah okay... You are tempting me now hahaha, I came from TN 120HZ 3D, I loved the fps but TN color details just...
Hahaha
 

kingsen

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
1,410
Reaction score
31
Ya loh 770 is just a 680 on steroid haha.

Kinda interested in the Palit 780 reference.. around $850 range.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Ya loh 770 is just a 680 on steroid haha.

Kinda interested in the Palit 780 reference.. around $850 range.

Don't recommend brands other than ASUS MSI GIGABYTE EVGA, don't get tricked by the cheaper cost, it's because of 1 lesser warranty, you get cheaper than other mainstream brands
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
By the way TS, have you received your Dell monitor? Or what's the estimated delivery? Dell take very fast to process but damn slow on delivery...
 

gladiusgg

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 2, 2011
Messages
7,114
Reaction score
35
Mine overclocked to 120hz. Gladiusgg one also should be can hit 120hz. :s13: No problem here, many others in the overclock.net forum also got a few success stories.

Its true. I have OCed it to 120hz. Its fantastic for a less than US$300 monitor. :s13:
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
Nope.. expected delivery is on 24/6 or before.. lol

Oh haha same here, did you ordered it after I posted about it? Lol

24/6 for me too, but didn't mention or before, I only fear is after lol
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top