Huawei Matebook X Pro

Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
How does this compares to xps13? Looking at i5 but don’t mind to get i7 as I need 16gb and 512 ssd

LOL later ur laptop kena delay and throw until dunno what shape.

MS i7 $1,349 USD price not good enough?

Btw TB/TM price is 8,688 RMB for 11.11 and refunding price differences.
So dun Pinned too much hope on 11.11 or Black Friday.
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
CPU: Intel Core i7Style: Laptop Only
To preface this review, I've been using this laptop for about a week now. I bought it from the Microsoft Store not Amazon, in case you're wondering why it doesn't say "verified purchase".

GOOD:

- Design: This is a very good looking laptop. The dark grey color is pretty much identical to the "space gray" that Apple uses on their MacBooks.

- Battery life: excellent. Watching youtube, editing documents, and other light productivity work yields about 8-10 hours of use.

- Display: Very bright and easy to use outdoors. Not quite as bright as the new MacBook Pros, but close. Color accuracy is skewed towards the reds, but that can be fixed with calibration.

- Keyboard: MUCH better than Apple's new keyboards. Very quiet comfy to type on. It feels very similar to the Surface keyboards (which is a good thing)

- Speakers: Excellent sound. The bass could be better, but the sound is very clear and can get fairly loud.

- The SSD is upgradable. Not easily upgradable, but it's not soldered in, which is a plus. If anyone is wondering, my unit has a Toshiba SSD. Write speeds are poor, around 300MB/s, read speeds are decent at around 1800MB/s.

NOT SO GOOD:

- Build Quality: After a few days of use, the laptop started to creak when I pick it up. I tried tightening the screws, but that didn't fix it. Very irritating. The USB C ports are also VERY tight. It feels like I'm going to break something when I remove the charging connector.

- Port arrangement: This is a minor one, but I wish they put one USB C port on either side instead of putting both on the same side. This would make it possible to charge the laptop from either side.

- Price: I think $1499 (for the 512gb model) is too much. At the time of writing this review, Amazon is including a $300 gift card, and that makes it easier to swallow.

THE TRULY AWFUL:

- Webcam: I can't think of a single scenario where using this webcam would be acceptable. Even for just casual video chatting, it's awful. I like that it can be hidden, but the positioning makes it impossible to get a "normal" view of your face. Not to mention the actual camera quality is poor as well. It's a 1MP camera.

- Touchpad: It's a Precision touchpad, but it sure doesn't feel like it. It doesn't even compare to the Surface touchpads. Even the "click" is very cheap feeling. Not to mention, the touchpad rattles quite a bit. Not what I expected for a $1500 device.

- Coil Whine: Similar to the older Dell XPS 13, this unit has quite a bit of coil whine. It's amplified when plugged in. This is pretty unfortunate, but some people won't notice it.

- Fan Noise: It's pretty much always on. It's not obnoxious, but it's loud enough to hear it in a very quiet room. If the laptop isn't plugged in and is on power saver mode, the fans do quiet down. On (almost) every other laptop, the fan is actually connected to a metal heatsink. On this laptop, there's about 0.5cm of space between the fan and the heatsink. This is just bad design and incredibly inefficient.


As for what comes in the box, you get:
- The laptop
- Power brick
- 2m long USB C cable
- A USB C dongle with VGA, USB A, HDMI, and charging passthrough. This DOES NOT support 4k@60hz, but hey, its included.

TL;DR: This machine is 90% of a MacBook Pro for ~70% of the price. It's a great value compared to a Mac, but compared to other Windows laptops, I think it's priced too high, especially for a "new" brand like Huawei.

Leave a comment if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
 

tutonic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
10
CPU: Intel Core i7Style: Laptop Only
To preface this review, I've been using this laptop for about a week now. I bought it from the Microsoft Store not Amazon, in case you're wondering why it doesn't say "verified purchase".

GOOD:

- Design: This is a very good looking laptop. The dark grey color is pretty much identical to the "space gray" that Apple uses on their MacBooks.

- Battery life: excellent. Watching youtube, editing documents, and other light productivity work yields about 8-10 hours of use.

- Display: Very bright and easy to use outdoors. Not quite as bright as the new MacBook Pros, but close. Color accuracy is skewed towards the reds, but that can be fixed with calibration.

- Keyboard: MUCH better than Apple's new keyboards. Very quiet comfy to type on. It feels very similar to the Surface keyboards (which is a good thing)

- Speakers: Excellent sound. The bass could be better, but the sound is very clear and can get fairly loud.

- The SSD is upgradable. Not easily upgradable, but it's not soldered in, which is a plus. If anyone is wondering, my unit has a Toshiba SSD. Write speeds are poor, around 300MB/s, read speeds are decent at around 1800MB/s.

NOT SO GOOD:

- Build Quality: After a few days of use, the laptop started to creak when I pick it up. I tried tightening the screws, but that didn't fix it. Very irritating. The USB C ports are also VERY tight. It feels like I'm going to break something when I remove the charging connector.

- Port arrangement: This is a minor one, but I wish they put one USB C port on either side instead of putting both on the same side. This would make it possible to charge the laptop from either side.

- Price: I think $1499 (for the 512gb model) is too much. At the time of writing this review, Amazon is including a $300 gift card, and that makes it easier to swallow.

THE TRULY AWFUL:

- Webcam: I can't think of a single scenario where using this webcam would be acceptable. Even for just casual video chatting, it's awful. I like that it can be hidden, but the positioning makes it impossible to get a "normal" view of your face. Not to mention the actual camera quality is poor as well. It's a 1MP camera.

- Touchpad: It's a Precision touchpad, but it sure doesn't feel like it. It doesn't even compare to the Surface touchpads. Even the "click" is very cheap feeling. Not to mention, the touchpad rattles quite a bit. Not what I expected for a $1500 device.

- Coil Whine: Similar to the older Dell XPS 13, this unit has quite a bit of coil whine. It's amplified when plugged in. This is pretty unfortunate, but some people won't notice it.

- Fan Noise: It's pretty much always on. It's not obnoxious, but it's loud enough to hear it in a very quiet room. If the laptop isn't plugged in and is on power saver mode, the fans do quiet down. On (almost) every other laptop, the fan is actually connected to a metal heatsink. On this laptop, there's about 0.5cm of space between the fan and the heatsink. This is just bad design and incredibly inefficient.


As for what comes in the box, you get:
- The laptop
- Power brick
- 2m long USB C cable
- A USB C dongle with VGA, USB A, HDMI, and charging passthrough. This DOES NOT support 4k@60hz, but hey, its included.

TL;DR: This machine is 90% of a MacBook Pro for ~70% of the price. It's a great value compared to a Mac, but compared to other Windows laptops, I think it's priced too high, especially for a "new" brand like Huawei.

Leave a comment if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

I encounter none of the problems listed above, in the review on Amazon. The fans are almost never on, and if they are on, it's very quiet. The touch pad is very sensitive, in my opinion. I find myself opting to use the touch pad even though I have a wireless mouse, at times. No coil whine or touch pad rattle like what's reported. I've been using it almost every alternate day since I got it in late-August.
 

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
22,275
Reaction score
209
I encounter none of the problems listed above, in the review on Amazon. The fans are almost never on, and if they are on, it's very quiet. The touch pad is very sensitive, in my opinion. I find myself opting to use the touch pad even though I have a wireless mouse, at times. No coil whine or touch pad rattle like what's reported. I've been using it almost every alternate day since I got it in late-August.

Same here
No such problems on mine
I can't even hear the fan noise
 

FlushX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
10,555
Reaction score
12
So my skin from dbrand came last night and I wasted no time in getting it on.

v3dHrhw.jpg

TGIbU07.jpg
 

mac_oasis

Master Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,792
Reaction score
9
will have glue stain after removing it??
Btw anyone successfully upgrade to win 10 pro version?
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top