Is it really over for Intel®?

Intel is ...

  • dead man walking, soon to be buried

    Votes: 58 50.9%
  • will bounce back, buyed Intc at $10 sure huat!

    Votes: 56 49.1%

  • Total voters
    114

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,916
Reaction score
2,501
Affordability is subjective. ;) I won't think it should cost a lot taking the 7800X3D as a reference, but I won't want to spend that much money on a CPU to be honest.
Agreed as of now even first gen 5800x3D I hardly experience CPU bottleneck and the cost of new platform upgrades abit hard to justify for now.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
Agreed as of now even first gen 5800x3D I hardly experience CPU bottleneck and the cost of new platform upgrades abit hard to justify for now.
I think if you are gaming at 1080p or lower, you can see the performance bump. But by the time you hit 1440p, that benefit starts to diminish quickly. And I think most reviews tend to test CPUs at low resolution just to showcase the max potential, which I think is not fully representative of all resolution.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
hadVsj9.png


@kimsix @Yongkit @NightRaven49 HUAT AH INTEL FTW!!!!!!!!
 

Outramkia

Master Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2018
Messages
4,650
Reaction score
94
I think if you are gaming at 1080p or lower, you can see the performance bump. But by the time you hit 1440p, that benefit starts to diminish quickly. And I think most reviews tend to test CPUs at low resolution just to showcase the max potential, which I think is not fully representative of all resolution.
I see people here looking for qhd/uhd oled and mini led monitors. I wonder why some are very excited about this cpu. No doubt the x3d crushes the rest in fhd. But do you think the higher cache size has any effect at 4k and above, even on next generation gpus?
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
I see people here looking for qhd/uhd oled and mini led monitors. I wonder why some are very excited about this cpu. No doubt the x3d crushes the rest in fhd. But do you think the higher cache size has any effect at 4k and above, even on next generation gpus?
If your GPU is not holding performance back, then you should see some performance boost. Your PC is as fast as the slowest component in there, for a given workload. So if you use a 9800X3D with a GTX 1060 as an extreme example, even at 1080p, you will run into a bottleneck very quickly. To resolve this, you need to upgrade the GPU to reduce or eliminate the GPU bottleneck. But the bottleneck may move to other components like CPU or memory speed, etc.

So to your question about the benefits, I think it depends. If you pair this CPU with say a RTX 4090 or 5090 for example, and you use an OLED 1440p display, then I think you should see some improvement. Another scenario to consider is if you run DLSS or FSR, you are technically not running at native 4K, so you should also reap some benefits from a faster CPU. Most reviews I noticed only show 1080p testing, but that is an indication that it can benefit upscaling solutions.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
If your GPU is not holding performance back, then you should see some performance boost. Your PC is as fast as the slowest component in there, for a given workload. So if you use a 9800X3D with a GTX 1060 as an extreme example, even at 1080p, you will run into a bottleneck very quickly. To resolve this, you need to upgrade the GPU to reduce or eliminate the GPU bottleneck. But the bottleneck may move to other components like CPU or memory speed, etc.

So to your question about the benefits, I think it depends. If you pair this CPU with say a RTX 4090 or 5090 for example, and you use an OLED 1440p display, then I think you should see some improvement. Another scenario to consider is if you run DLSS or FSR, you are technically not running at native 4K, so you should also reap some benefits from a faster CPU. Most reviews I noticed only show 1080p testing, but that is an indication that it can benefit upscaling solutions.

Yeah, and even for 1440p, users can choose to run optimized settings which can significantly reduce GPU load compared to just slapping on the maximum present.

To be fair, I'm not saying it's worth the price because obviously it's not. It's more for people who really want the best and know what they are actually planning to do with it.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
This whole intel core 200 now is good if you just on your PC and run cinebench and nothing else.

Or you do encoding work.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
This whole intel core 200 now is good if you just on your PC and run cinebench and nothing else.

Or you do encoding work.

well, encoding should be done by GPU, good and better CPU makes little difference :ROFLMAO:
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
20,369
Reaction score
10,232
Hopefully Intel can fix it. But I do think its very strange when internally they tested with a right combination of BIOS and OS version to achieve "good performance", yet did not roll it out at the time they release Arrow Lake. So looking forward to see what they can do to optimize it further.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ing-performance-is-due-to-optimization-issues

same thing with zen5, from zen0% to zen5++% with software fixes

Intel i feel have more room for ARL to grow. The cpu design looks complexer. As shown in sm, 285K is a beast in certain parts of modern games!


O4XrnMU.png
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,035
Reaction score
8,286
same thing with zen5, from zen0% to zen5++% with software fixes

Intel i feel have more room for ARL to grow. The cpu design looks complexer. As shown in sm, 285K is a beast in certain parts of modern games!


O4XrnMU.png

yeah, there is a chance their cinebench can actually transition to real world performance, they just need time to work it out.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
same thing with zen5, from zen0% to zen5++% with software fixes

Intel i feel have more room for ARL to grow. The cpu design looks complexer. As shown in sm, 285K is a beast in certain parts of modern games!


O4XrnMU.png
This result may be quite misleading because I feel the bottleneck is likely on the GPU with this sort of resolution and graphical settings. The fact that all the results are mostly capped at the same level is a clear sign the CPU is no longer the bottleneck here.

Let's see what Intel can optimize to improve performance on Arrow Lake. No point speculating. AMD said the same with their Zen 5, but to be honest, I don't think the performance improved meaningfully, until they increased the power limit.
 

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
39,363
Reaction score
4,359
AMD once was left for dead but it bounced back under Lisa Su. Anything is possible imo

Just my 2 cents
 

stanlawj

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2021
Messages
10,253
Reaction score
5,547
It's time to leave Intel. The reason they are lagging in consumer CPU is because they are holding back features exclusively for their enterprise CPUs. So Intel consumer CPUs will never ever outmatch Apple Silicon. Apple gave us UMA for CPU because they have no datacenter market to protect.

Intel Hints At Dedicated Cache Tile For CPUs But Not For Desktops​

https://wccftech.com/intel-hints-at-dedicated-cache-tile-for-cpus-but-not-for-desktops/

The only thing that can beat Apple Silicon is matching x86 cpu with RTX4090 (with lots of electricity).
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
I mean this practice is not uncommon for Intel. Before Ryzen was a thing, every feature on Intel CPU is placed behind a paywall. Want more cache, pay more cash. Want Hyper threading? Then pay more. Overclocking, you need a K series chip with a Z series chipset motherboard. But in Intel’s defence, they had tapered down a lot because competition is on the retail space is too intense. I guess with limited resources, they have put their best foot forward for their high margin business, and retail CPUs are unfortunately not a high margin business.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top